GAME THREAD - Us v Them

Remove this Banner Ad

HI Alphs. you only pop up after a loss!!!

Do us a favour....next time you go base jumping with a dodgy chute, give us all a bell so we can come watch !! :thumbsu:

Also cant understand the calls for drop this player, drop that player. And its a different player for each poster. If all got their way we would have 5 or 6 out next week. How bout we wait to see who puts their hand up in the Magoos first. If Hendo and Bower fire, then perhaps they earn a slot, same for Ellard, Army and McLean. If they put their hand up then lets see who didnt do well enough.

But scoreboard aside, we matched them for inside 50's, effective disposal rate and tackles but were a bit down (145 to 128) on contested possessions and contested marks (19 to 12), so we will need to lift our hunger for the contest next time.

So as bad as some of you think some of the players went, the numbers dont bear that out. We were only beaten by small degrees for a part of the game. In effect we lost the game in the 10 minute end to the second quarter when they bang on 4 unanswered goals and matched them for scoring for the rest of the game. Its not much of a gap to bridge for us to be ripping the team apart over.

Agree and disagree with you mate.
We fought valiantly, the players seem to put their body on the lines, and we played like a top 8 side.
However, none of us want to be a top 8 side, we want to be a top 4 side. Carlton don't want players who can't kick, who don't have a scope of improvement that isn't the roof, players who don't put bodies on the line.
This is why most of us aren't having a go at Watson, because he did these things, he just wasn't football ready. But it is a premiership investment to - well invest in him. The same with (for the most part) Duigan, even Hampson.
Why some of us get annoyed is that players like Carrazzo should only play if they play really well, because their scope of improvement isn't that high. To me, it's black and white

Well played Blues, outside of that 3 goal burst we had in the 2nd quarter I thought you guys held your own extremely well. You would have beaten any other team tonight with that gang tackling pressure. It was a frustrating game to watch, we just couldn't break you.

By the way, Carlton had 20 free kicks the Pies 19. Some decisions were ordinary but umpires will never decide a 120 minute game of footy. Already looking forwad to the re-match.

Yeah and we were beaten by a team that wasn't playing at 100% just shows how far off the pace we are.

Don't subscribe to this. Carlton seemed to be restricting how the Pies like to play the game. Basically IMO this is what Collingwood look like when not being allowed to play on their own terms.

Considering the Blues were missing their CHB, CHF and 1st Ruck while coming off a 6 day turnaround from an interstate game, added to the fact the umpiring was far from balanced, I didn't really get the same impression as you. With a handful of new players at the club taking the field tonight, this unit still has improvement by years end.

Obviously!!!!!

But I'm not the one running around waving my arms in the air like a raving hysteric!!!

Am I?????

Raving? I pointed out the facts, if you want to call that raving more power to you. Obviously we must always praise the team, because if we don;t the poor little kids might get devastated.

If you do bother to read the post I did mention a few positives as well from tonight. But no not going to sit here and sweep the negatives under the carpet, like some on here are want to do.

Raving? I pointed out the facts, if you want to call that raving more power to you. Obviously we must always praise the team, because if we don;t the poor little kids might get devastated.

If you do bother to read the post I did mention a few positives as well from tonight. But no not going to sit here and sweep the negatives under the carpet, like some on here are want to do.

How is stating that Collingwood were not at 100% count as being factual?

So you are telling my that the Pies were playing at 100% tonight? Really? But I am impressed with the effort by us tonight, but like I said the passengers and the disposals continue to kill us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think we are progressing fine. Everyone still wants us to win now when everything is not in place.

Quality on our list - tick

Quality in the right places and in our defensive talls - not yet...but soon

Systematic play up and down the ground (good transition) - average

We are getting there for sure. Most of our quality is still in the midfield something the pies can offset with Swan/Pendles etc. We get more advantage against other clubs.

When Henderson, Kruezer (gun already), Watson and Mcarthy are up and firing (2 years) and our transition play is better, we are a REAL chance.

So you are telling my that the Pies were playing at 100% tonight? Really?

What part of 100% were they missing??? We put the clamps on a few then a pesky pest like that little ****er Blair pops up. Very well drilled and some non-stars who are very disciplined and play their role.

Daddy never let you win at backyard cricket did he???

Yeah it was a good loss. :)

Well it certainly wasnt a bad loss. Considering they have won their past 2 by an average of about 15 goals to only lose by 4 isnt to bad. Let me remind you again, we lost the game in a 10 minute 4 goal burst late in the second. For the rest of the game we scored at the same rate as them and matched them in may aspects of the game.

It is true that to beat them we need our best and they can beat us with less than their best, but I saw nothing tonight to suggest we cant beat them if we turn it on.

As I have said a few times, our real test comes against sides we are rated better than, thats the next 2. If we win both of those we know we have improved. If we let either of them beat us it will indicate to me we still have not taken that final step. As much as we all built this game up and that Collingwood are the best going around, the real test for us is to keep beating sides below us.

You sound just like a Pies supporter ..hey how about Carlton weren't playing at 100 percent tonight ?
works both ways basehead.

And you sound like someone who can only see the positives and brush the rest under the carpet as usual. The problem with us fans/supporters is that we seem to settle for mediocre, but I guess we have got used to it after such a long time at the bottom.

But anyway if that makes you happy so be it, good luck with that. :)

Given up on thinking Carrazzo will be dropped. Hoping he becomes sub next week....we'd be such a better side without him.
Bring in Lucas or Mclean.

Please.

Subbing off Walker when you could have put him up the ground was a bad move.

Carrazzo should have made way.

At least Walker breaks the lines and carries the ball.

Thornton and Carrazzo hit the pause button...

Waite should have been moved to the back line not Thornton.
12 Disposals and 2 goals is a poor output for him, not his fault really just not enough delivery or quality kicking to the forwards. But that is i would of taken the gamble and put him in the back line after halftime.

Hampson is hopeless.

Watson was left to drown in the deep end, was horrible to watch. There was a play where Daisy got the ball in the center and kicked into the forward line and Watson spoiled it, at this this point i thought "well done Matty, now the boys can get back and help you ( considering they were only 30metres away, standing in the center) But no, instead 3 more Collingwood players ran in and savaged the ball from him resulting in a goal.

Most looked liked they were waiting for the man next to them to take the game on, instead of busting a gut to do something them selves.

Duigan was lost, but will learn from the challenge and hopefully help him develop as a player. Keep him in the team, don't dishearten him by dropping him after his first poor performance. there was a lot of other players who had a bad game as well.

Walker no where to be found.

Betts starting to become "neon leon"/downhill skier

Yarran Garlett Curnow Robbo Great improvements to the team and look to be taking the next step!

Armfield would of been good to have play that defensive roll from the start of the match on Pendlebury and release Gibbs to attack.

As for the game plan, i loved it when we played on and took risks. We generated speed and options when we did this and really opened the game up. But i hated it when we tried to play tempo footy, kicked backwards which allowed Collingwood to lock down there zone.

All in all we didn't get thrashed, its only round 3, we can take the game away and hopefully learn from our mistakes and smash the bombers next week!

Well played Blues, outside of that 3 goal burst we had in the 2nd quarter I thought you guys held your own extremely well. You would have beaten any other team tonight with that gang tackling pressure. It was a frustrating game to watch, we just couldn't break you.

By the way, Carlton had 20 free kicks the Pies 19. Some decisions were ordinary but umpires will never decide a 120 minute game of footy. Already looking forwad to the re-match.

As you said, we did hold our own pretty well, but I still think we looked a little scared out there at times and made some dumb mistakes. As for the free kick count, it doesn't really matter what the number says at the end of the match. What really matters is how much of what actually happens gets called correctly. You're right that the umps aren't the ONLY reason we lost, but as I said in my earlier post, you'd have to take about 25 to 30 points off the margin to balance it after the amount of shit that went your teams way all night. Even if you think that's too much, you can reduce it to 20. You take 20 points off the margin and you have a hell of a game which we could have won.

As for the re-match, I am also looking forward to it. Hopefully we will have our #1 ruck, CHF, CHB and a handful of other guys back by then. If we can get some even close to fair umpiring going as well, I think we're every chance to take the game when we play next.

Remove this Banner Ad

GAME THREAD - Us v Them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back