Game Thread vs Pies (typo: means Freo)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Game Thread vs Pies

They will go to the club that offers the best deal and both Adelaide and West Coast are both more financially secure clubs than us. There is no way we could compete with Carlton either, they would be streets in front of us.

Talking of Carlton. Did anyone hear a report on a radio station that Johnathon Brown will announce soon that he wants to play for Carlton? It was apparently on a Melbourne radio station today.

You seem confused. Free agency does not = abolishing the salary cap.

Clubs won't be able to offer any more money than they are now, it'll just come down to facilities etc...

Why did we not gut the Ball down the Middle?

You seem confused. Free agency does not = abolishing the salary cap.

Clubs won't be able to offer any more money than they are now, it'll just come down to facilities etc...

And what is to stop Richard Pratt guaranteeing someone a career after football? There is no salary cap for that. The most important wealth of a club is not that generated by crowds and memberships, it is by having rich patrons who dish out the money behind the scenes. In that area, Carlton is unsurpassed. And I'm not just talking about Pratt. Even now without free agency, they are on the way to buying their next premiership.

I think facilities are one of the most overrated enticements for players. Just look at North Melbourne. Carlton will have equal or better facilities than us within 2 years anyway and they train on a quality oval, unlike the paddock we currently use. Even if we agree that we do have the best facilities, why do no quality players want to play for Collingwood?

Free agency will certainly kill off some of the smaller clubs, but it will not do us any favours in the process.

And what is to stop Richard Pratt guaranteeing someone a career after football? There is no salary cap for that. The most important wealth of a club is not that generated by crowds and memberships, it is by having rich patrons who dish out the money behind the scenes. In that area, Carlton is unsurpassed. And I'm not just talking about Pratt. Even now without free agency, they are on the way to buying their next premiership.

I think facilities are one of the most overrated enticements for players. Just look at North Melbourne. Carlton will have equal or better facilities than us within 2 years anyway and they train on a quality oval, unlike the paddock we currently use. Even if we agree that we do have the best facilities, why do no quality players want to play for Collingwood?

Free agency will certainly kill off some of the smaller clubs, but it will not do us any favours in the process.

a) You're being far too cynical re: Carlton buying a premiership.
b) By "facilities" I suppose I should include coaching staff, marketing opportunities etc...
c) It's rubbish that no quality players want to play for Collingwood. If we had been prepared to give the eagles what they wanted, we would have had Judd.

a) You're being far too cynical re: Carlton buying a premiership.
b) By "facilities" I suppose I should include coaching staff, marketing opportunities etc...
c) It's rubbish that no quality players want to play for Collingwood. If we had been prepared to give the eagles what they wanted, we would have had Judd.

Judd was always going to Carlton. The deal was done well before he even announced he was leaving the Eagles. And it appears either Brown or Kerr will be heading to Carlton next year. So where are the quality players WANTING to play for us?

That's why I believe our best chance for premiership success is to draft well and pray that free agency never sees the light of day.

Judd was always going to Carlton. The deal was done well before he even announced he was leaving the Eagles. And it appears either Brown or Kerr will be heading to Carlton next year. So where are the quality players WANTING to play for us?

That's why I believe our best chance for premiership success is to draft well and pray that free agency never sees the light of day.

Actually, Judd chose Collingwood, but Demetriou blocked the deal because he owed Pratt a favour.

See, I too can state outlandish conspiracy theories as fact.

Actually, Judd chose Collingwood, but Demetriou blocked the deal because he owed Pratt a favour.

See, I too can state outlandish conspiracy theories as fact.

Conspiracy theory or not, I was told by a very reliable source in August last year(well before Judd even announced he was leaving WCE) that Judd would be Carlton's captain this year, that the deal was already done. If you don't believe me, I really don't give a toss.

The same source has told me that Carlton feel they have a good chance to land Brown(apparently things have changed with Brown over the last week or so) and if they miss out there, then they will get Kerr. As I said before, there are no big names WANTING to come and play for us.

The same source has told me that Carlton feel they have a good chance to land Brown(apparently things have changed with Brown over the last week or so) and if they miss out there, then they will get Kerr.

It's interesting, I saw on Friday on Fox, Kevin Sheedy straight out said that Carlton are cheating again. He said that people should learn from the past.

you have the best youth policy in the comp, why do you need big name players?

Because there are no big leaders or influential captains in with the current side. With all due respect to Burns and Fraser, but Buckley and Clement left a big void since retiring last year, in terms of the leadership department. Of course, that's my opinion though!

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Thread vs Pies (typo: means Freo)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back