Gameday discussion/vent thread

Remove this Banner Ad

FFS give vickery a chance he has done more than enough to suggest he will be a good ruckman in time he was never going to go past a first round pick, his talent was always around top 10. How about actually giving it to the high picks who deserve it such as that waste of space Polo

lol.

What a load of shit. He wouldn't have even got close to our 2nd round pick.

My understanding is that only Port, Essendon and the Tigers rated him a player that would be taken in the first 2 rounds and Essendon had him as a backup not a priority. The only team we would have possibly lost him to before our second round pick was Port.

Careful mate. You can't dis Tyrone. I don't mind if I am alone on this at all. He might end up being OK. I hope so. But I am bitterly disappointed with what I have seen so far. I find it astounding that is untouchable on this board when every other poster goes rabid over pretty much every draftee we ever take.

Don't you agree that it will take a couple of seasons before we know how well a player like Vickery has developed. Similar to the situation at Melbourne with Watts.

Not every ruckman is as capable as someone like Kreuzer and can kill it in his first and second year. Although I do agree we probably shouldn't have used our first pick on him but that is done, we just have to make sure we give him every opportunity to develop and given where we are at, we may as well allow him to develop while playing senior footy.. although I'd prefer if we had a second ruck to share ruck duties with.

Don't you agree that it will take a couple of seasons before we know how well a player like Vickery has developed. Similar to the situation at Melbourne with Watts.

Not every ruckman is as capable as someone like Kreuzer and can kill it in his first and second year. Although I do agree we probably shouldn't have used our first pick on him but that is done, we just have to make sure we give him every opportunity to develop and given where we are at, we may as well allow him to develop while playing senior footy.. although I'd prefer if we had a second ruck to share ruck duties with.
The kid has been at a disadvantage because he has had to share the ruck with a statue. In fact calling Simmonds a statue is being cruel to statues.
It depends what people want from their ruckman. Gone are the days where you can just get 25 hit outs and 8 touches per game. Mark Blake would struggle to get a game at any other club (he would with us though).
Correct me if I am wrong someone, but I read that Vickery only averaged 9 disposals per game at TAC level. If that is true then I am eben more convinced that what I am seeing from him is not up to standard. Fine if people want a tap ruckman.
But therein lies my point. Pick 8 for a tap ruckman????????

**** me I'm sick of playing against 25 blokes each week. Every 50/50 call goes against us.

Yep. Especially in that last quarter.

Did we have more than one free in the last quarter? The only one I can remember was when Port kicked away the ball about 5 secs after the free was awarded, of course no 50m for that. We has players being tripped, tackled without the ball, Port players dragging in the ball resulting in a ball up.. etc..

TBF I didn't see the first half so im only commentating on the 2nd half. Was so frustrating though. Always is.

mmmmm I have to agree with both sides here.

Tugga the kid is about 15kgs undersized and actually looked decent in his follow up work tonight. I think he will be a decent ruckman but needs 2 years to develop.

Jackson Trengove currently looks a better ruck prospect and he is undersized and was taken at pick 20 I think. Goldstien from North and Renouf from Hawks were both late picks in recent drafts that look like they will at the very least match it with Vickery. Mumford looks to be a good ruckman and was a rookie.

Tugga makes a very valueble point. While he will be a half decent player and ruckman he is not worthy of a top ten pick because he will never accumulate it 25 times a game and anyone of Ziebell, Sidebottom, Schoemakers or Shuey would have been a better pic.

Tugga the kid is about 15kgs undersized and actually looked decent in his follow up work tonight. I think he will be a decent ruckman but needs 2 years to develop.

Jackson Trengove currently looks a better ruck prospect and he is undersized and was taken at pick 20 I think. Goldstien from North and Renouf from Hawks were both late picks in recent drafts that look like they will at the very least match it with Vickery. Mumford looks to be a good ruckman and was a rookie.

Tugga makes a very valueble point. While he will be a half decent player and ruckman he is not worthy of a top ten pick because he will never accumulate it 25 times a game and anyone of Ziebell, Sidebottom, Schoemakers or Shuey would have been a better pic.

A recuring theme at tigerland we keep on looking the other way during the draft......................we seem to think that 15 clubs are wrong and we are right

Good post. And exactly what I have been trying (albeit quite badly probbaly) to say.

The kid has been at a disadvantage because he has had to share the ruck with a statue. In fact calling Simmonds a statue is being cruel to statues.
It depends what people want from their ruckman. Gone are the days where you can just get 25 hit outs and 8 touches per game. Mark Blake would struggle to get a game at any other club (he would with us though).
Correct me if I am wrong someone, but I read that Vickery only averaged 9 disposals per game at TAC level. If that is true then I am eben more convinced that what I am seeing from him is not up to standard. Fine if people want a tap ruckman.
But therein lies my point. Pick 8 for a tap ruckman????????

Didn't he play up forward a fair bit in the TAC cup? I just think he needs another couple of seasons before we judge him. My point on sharing the load was I don't think he is up to being the number 1 ruck option, even NicNat isn't doing that.

It doesn't have to be Simmonds although an experienced player like him may be the best option, but im still in favour of giving Browne and Graham 5 games each to prove which one should stay on next year.

Last year was probably the year to go after a Mumford type but I still think if Simmo retires we should look closely at all the talent aged under 23 and possibly trade players for a decent mobile ruckman even if we draft one. We have to make the decision between Graham and Browne. Such a shame as I though Dean Putt was going to be our shining light in that position... round 4 pick.. just never worked out.

Come to think of it when was the last young ruckman we have developed successfully? Gale? Seems our only good ones (Simmo, Staff, Greg Dear, Knobel, although not great :p) are ones we've had to trade for.

But therein lies my point. Pick 8 for a tap ruckman????????[/quote]

But therein lies your problem tugga.
Your eyes are open and you forgot to put your blinkers on.
How dare you look at something like this from such a level headed perspective...... and I don't recall you actually bagging out Vickery and saying he should be delisted just that he is not performing at the level you would like to see.

HOW DARE YOU!!! ;)

Just got back from the game. Webberly is very small but very good kick. :thumbsu:

We just didn't put up a fight in that 4th quarter. We were fairly good in the first half, Crows could not move the ball at all.

Crows supporters are the quietest around, all they do is clap. LOL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're all a bit frustrated tonght! I'm just pissed that tonight was probably the last game I will see till Saints on Friday night.. was really hoping for a win.

Uh well, don't have to work tomorrow and didn't have a punt on tonight's game so its not all bad. Bit im getting ****ing sick of it!

Sante you should just count yourself lucky you got out of there alive!

Didn't he play up forward a fair bit in the TAC cup? I just think he needs another couple of seasons before we judge him. My point on sharing the load was I don't think he is up to being the number 1 ruck option, even NicNat isn't doing that.

It doesn't have to be Simmonds although an experienced player like him may be the best option, but im still in favour of giving Browne and Graham 5 games each to prove which one should stay on next year.

Last year was probably the year to go after a Mumford type but I still think if Simmo retires we should look closely at all the talent aged under 23 and possibly trade players for a decent mobile ruckman even if we draft one. We have to make the decision between Graham and Browne. Such a shame as I though Dean Putt was going to be our shining light in that position... round 4 pick.. just never worked out.

Come to think of it when was the last young ruckman we have developed successfully? Gale? Seems our only good ones (Simmo, Staff, Greg Dear, Knobel, although not great :p) are ones we've had to trade for.

Mike Green, Mark Lee.....we should have made a play for seaby

But therein lies your problem tugga.
Your eyes are open and you forgot to put your blinkers on.
How dare you look at something like this from such a level headed perspective...... and I don't recall you actually bagging out Vickery and saying he should be delisted just that he is not performing at the level you would like to see.

HOW DARE YOU!!! ;)
An intelligent post. How dare you!
Tell Barnzy or Deledio7 that.
Never said the kid was a spud. However, I have been agressive in trying to prove my point. But people see that as me bagging out the kid.
At the moment Vickery is not up to AFL standard. A long way off it. Unfortunately anyone over 200cm that we do have at the club, play like they are 100cm.
The kid has a crack. Will be an OK footballer eventually.
Just up to No 8 standard...in my opinion.

We're all a bit frustrated tonght! I'm just pissed that tonight was probably the last game I will see till Saints on Friday night.. was really hoping for a win.

Uh well, don't have to work tomorrow and didn't have a punt on tonight's game so its not all bad. Bit im getting ****ing sick of it!

Sante you should just count yourself lucky you got out of there alive!
Shit day all round mate. It all caught up with the Storm boys too.
Hoiw was the stadium?

Shit day all round mate. It all caught up with the Storm boys too.
Hoiw was the stadium?

Amiazing! :p

Seriously loved it. Actually made my day. Feels like you are part of the game if you sit anywhere around the ground in the first few rows (didn't get a chance to go in the grandstand). Great atmosphere too especially considering it was officially (looked more though) only 2/3rds full.

No real standing room is probably the only negative I can think of.

Listen to the first half of the mighty tiges on the way home I was getting exciting. Should have just kept driving around listening on the radio, we may have got up.

Btw, I get the point you are making on Vickery, but those tallish type players need more time to develop. Think there are far more questions to be asked about the rest of the squad. I was happy enough with our style of play today though (2nd half) even when we were getting smashed. Some defensive problems need fixing though.

Going to be very interesting next week.

Amiazing! :p

Seriously loved it. Actually made my day. Feels like you are part of the game if you sit anywhere around the ground in the first few rows (didn't get a chance to go in the grandstand). Great atmosphere too especially considering it was officially (looked more though) only 2/3rds full.

No real standing room is probably the only negative I can think of.

Listen to the first half of the mighty tiges on the way home I was getting exciting. Should have just kept driving around listening on the radio, we may have got up.

Btw, I get the point you are making on Vickery, but those tallish type players need more time to develop. Think there are far more questions to be asked about the rest of the squad. I was happy enough with our style of play today though (2nd half) even when we were getting smashed. Some defensive problems need fixing though.

Going to be very interesting next week.
Couldn't get there today being Mothers Day and all but looking forward to getting there next home game. I think it all caught up with the boys this week to be honest.

I was listening to it on the radio; had to take care of the kid early in the 4th quarter when scores were close; by the time I got back we had lost by 51. :confused:

At least I missed the frustrating part.

We are crap and all our trade picks of the last 5 years except for Cotchin,Del, and i'll throw Nahas, and Hardwicks picks of last year, are SHIT!!!!!

Hardwick is basically starting from the start and we will be at the bottom for at least the next five year!

If the club survives that long!

An intelligent post. How dare you!
Tell Barnzy or Deledio7 that.
Never said the kid was a spud. However, I have been agressive in trying to prove my point. But people see that as me bagging out the kid.
At the moment Vickery is not up to AFL standard. A long way off it. Unfortunately anyone over 200cm that we do have at the club, play like they are 100cm.
The kid has a crack. Will be an OK footballer eventually.
Just up to No 8 standard...in my opinion.
I think he'll be a player long term tugga but the kid needs to learn how to ruck and I'm not sure that he's learning that in the seniors at the moment. Maric and tippett are hardly superstars of the comp but they mauled him in the ruck today. I'd like to see him go back to the magoos for 4 or 5 weeks as the number one ruckman there then get another sustained shot in the seniors. I don't care how badly Graham or Browne have been playing, this year is about getting the right development into players and Vickery is one we need to get right. He's had about the right length of run in the ones but needs to go back to consolidate a bit.

Never said the kid was a spud.

You've been saying "He's no good", "not up to it". You have totally written him off in other threads saying he won't make it but now suddenly when you're questioned he's not a spud and "will be an ok footballer eventually". Way to backpedal to cover your ass. Pretty clear to me you have NFI and can't stick to one story.

We are crap and all our trade picks of the last 5 years except for Cotchin,Del, and i'll throw Nahas, and Hardwicks picks of last year, are SHIT!!!!!

Hardwick is basically starting from the start and we will be at the bottom for at least the next five year!

If the club survives that long!

Your either pissed and grumpy, or have nfi.:)

didn't watch the game tonight as i was in Sydney -= but **** me i am glad i didn't

I've said it before and i will say it again - this club is going no where fast. If anyone here actually thinks that the actual survival of this club is not going to be on the line within the next 5 years you are kidding yourself.

If 1990 was the year of "Save our Skins', then twenty years on we have gone no-where and deserve to have a year of "Save us from our Sins"

The club should be begging the AFL for concessions enlight of the future tampered draft, otherwise they are going to lose a team.

Anyone who does not think we are a blight on the AFL are kidding themselves too - SO far off it its not funny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gameday discussion/vent thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back