Game Day VFL Gameday vs Ants

Remove this Banner Ad

Bradtke was strong and a presence. If he were 2 inches taller and 10kg heavier then we’d be looking at similar player to Tom Hawkins.

I thought Nyoun was very good. Looked assured of himself in the air. Can be very slow to make decisions at times.

Sonsie was good without being great. His ball use was once again very classy. Not overly physical. But I agree with a poster earlier that at AFL level he shines. Eg Nick Daicos.

Clarke wasn’t his usual self. I think he was caught playing a couple of different roles which confused him. Personally this kids going to be a forwrd that can eventually pinch hit through the midfield ala Connor Rozee. Wasted on a wing.

Cumberland isn’t exactly what a lot of tiger fans believe him to be but he is still dangerous when the balls in his area. It’s when it’s not is the problem.

Miller was once again serviceable. I think this guy will make a name for himself at afl level eventually just being a reliable flexible workhorse.

Bradtke was strong and a presence. If he were 2 inches taller and 10kg heavier then we’d be looking at similar player to Tom Hawkins.

I thought Nyoun was very good. Looked assured of himself in the air. Can be very slow to make decisions at times.

Sonsie was good without being great. His ball use was once again very classy. Not overly physical. But I agree with a poster earlier that at AFL level he shines. Eg Nick Daicos.

Clarke wasn’t his usual self. I think he was caught playing a couple of different roles which confused him. Personally this kids going to be a forwrd that can eventually pinch hit through the midfield ala Connor Rozee. Wasted on a wing.

Cumberland isn’t exactly what a lot of tiger fans believe him to be but he is still dangerous when the balls in his area. It’s when it’s not is the problem.

Miller was once again serviceable. I think this guy will make a name for himself at afl level eventually just being a reliable flexible workhorse.

Well he's only 21. No reason he can't put on some more weight so fingers crossed he keeps progressing

Well he's only 21. No reason he can't put on some more weight so fingers crossed he keeps progressing
He seriously wouldn’t wanna put much more weight on , he’d be well into 90s , has good agility and if you wanna make an impact at afl that’s what you need as a big fella . Yes the oppo were lightweights however it’s his 2nd or 3rd VFL game , great signs , has much to learn , stick with jack and lynchy and he could develop a lot in 12m

Cumbo and miller didn’t do enough to raise interest for selection , biggy for mine unless selectors have other ideas. Of the mids ross looked closest to afl action , the other names mentioned where ok without owning it and really stamping themselves on the game

Cumbo running up and back the ground hard, breathing real hard
All part of Dima’s training him into new positions
Will take a bit of time for him to get use to the running patterns, understand his frustration
No need to panic

Have faith knee jerkers

Correct, the VFL team is for developing players for the AFL team.
Cumberland already has the kicking goals in the AFL part figured out so they’re probably not instructing him to go and kick a bag in the VFL to prove himself worthy of a senior spot.

He’s obviously been told to go back to the VFL and work on his defensive game.

Watched 3 quarters of the game and here are my thoughts on the AFL listed players:

Ross- solid all around performance through the midfield. Worked hard to get back into D50 and then pushed forward to be a weapon going into F50. Would be first in line to replace Broad in the 22.
Ralphsmith - much like the last practice match he flashed in and out of the the play. His pace can be a weapon when it comes to breaking the lines, but he struggles to get his hands on it enough to be a genuine line breaking threat.
Dow - solid game inside the contest often getting hands on it at the source and then making good decisions feeding it out to teammates. Knows he is down the pecking order, but will keep playing at a consistent level just in case an opportunity presents
Cumberland - if you watch closely enough you can see what is being asked of him. As a HF, they want him keeping his width on the fat side of the ground to ensure our KPF have room to move, then come in with the flight and be dangerous at ground level. Then when he pushes into the midfield they want him to be the one that gets the ball fed out to, so that he can use his foot skills to deliver going forward. The good part was the defensive work today with 6 tackles a good starting point and shows he can do it.
Bradtke - great first half with 5 goals really showed his talent, however it should be pointed out that the Bullants aren't the strongest opposition, but you still need to cash in when chances present like that. A good foundation to build off moving forward, but we shouldn't be expecting a 5 goal haul every week.
Sonsie - fitness levels look to be getting back to where they should be after missing a month of training just before the season begun. Cruised around the park and picked up a lazy 20 touches. Would need to see the intensity levels rise a bit before he earns a recall to the seniors.
Banks - an accumulator who got plenty of the ball playing as a distributor across D50. Another who set a solid foundation to build on for the 2023 season. Needs to back it up with consistency as that was a issue with him last year.
Clarke - a quieter game from Clarke playing that small CHF/extra midfielder role, that we like to employ. Like Hugo he flashes in and out of the play and needs to build consistency to his game.
Bauer - much like Bradtke he cashed in on chances that came against a weaker opposition defensive unit. Needs to perform against better quality opposition to get a true idea of where he stands.
Miller - came back from the AFL side and didn't exactly set game alight. Overshadowed by Biggie in the ruck and by Bradtke & Bauer up forward. Would like to see an improved effort in the coming weeks.
Nyoun - arguably the best I've seen him play with him jumping over the opposition ruck to win the hitout or getting back into defensive 50 and taking strong pack marks. Now that he has set that standard it needs to continue each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why they persist on playing players like Cumbo out of position. FFS just play him off half back like they usually do.
I can see Dimma totally destroying Noah's confidence. It's bullshit!

Biggie was fantastic yesterday, best I’ve seen him play.
Vertical leap was very impressive in centre bounces and marking contests when he pushed back
* on the opponents.
But positive signs.

Liked Bauers game too, very athletic, looking a chance to push a case as that 3rd tall if he can build on that.

Wait and see re Bradtke, good dukes, but not overly athletic. He’ll be an interesting one to watch against better opposition

Coaches feedback on the AFL listed players from the VFL game.

Jack Ross (29 disposals, 13 marks, six inside-50s, six rebound-50s, one goal)

"Looks above the level every time he plays VFL. Couldn't have asked for more from him in terms of attitude, and his game impact was extremely high, mainly from a wing, and half-back late in the game.

Sam Banks (23 disposals, 10 marks, three inside-50s)

"He found a lot of the footy on the wing and played minimal minutes at half-back as well, which is great for his development to play in a couple of different positions. He is brilliant with the footy in hand when in space, and that was no different on the weekend."

Tyler Sonsie (21 disposals, eight contested possessions, three inside-50s)

"His game on the weekend was another solid step towards full fitness for him. He did miss a bit of pre-season and he's starting to get his touch back and fitness back. Hopefully, it won't be long until we see him out playing with the AFL side."

Thomson Dow (17 disposals, six clearances, three marks)

"Was really solid for us on the weekend in and around stoppage. We'd really like to see him improve his game around the ground, but his clearance work and contest work for us is always of high value and high importance."

Bigoa Nyuon (17 disposals, 30 hit-outs, six marks, three clearances)

"Was outstanding on the weekend. He had a game-high 30 hit-outs and he was a real presence in and around the footy with second efforts, but also towering over his opposition in the air. Hopefully, that was a breakout game for him in 2023 and sets the standard at a very high level for him this season."

Judson Clarke (16 disposals, five inside-50s, four marks)

"Looked really good on the day. His finishing skills probably didn't match what we know he's capable of, but he certainly got into really good positions and was open a lot more than we were actually able to use him. So, I'm certain if he runs those patterns in future weeks he's going to get some rewards on the scoreboard as well."

Hugo Ralphsmith (13 disposals, three marks, two rebound-50s)

"Hugo started the game at half-back and went to a wing, and I thought he had a really solid first half despite being heavily tagged. He finished the game playing as a high half-forward in a bid to expose him to a couple of different roles that we may need replaced at AFL level in the not-to-distant-future, and I thought his application was really good."

Kaelan Bradtke (10 disposals, six marks, five goals)

"He really stood out in the first half, kicking five first-half goals. He's a work in progress, but he's extremely talented. He'll continue to develop his understanding of our structures and the style of footy that's required to play at the elite level, but it was a really pleasing start from him."

Noah Cumberland (10 disposals, five tackles, two marks)

"Had a bit of an indifferent game. I thought offensively, he didn't have the impact that we would expect of him, and at times, his defence was inconsistent. But, highlighted by his five tackles, I thought he really did step in at times, and the opposition certainly felt him when he was in and around contests at times."

Jacob Bauer (eight disposals, six marks, three inside-50s, three goals)

'Was on managed minutes having missed a good portion of the last four to six weeks. I thought there were times where he tried to mark when he probably could have brought it to ground as a key forward, but overall, I thought his return game was a really good one. He hit the scoreboard heavily with three goals and probably could have had a couple more as well. So, I'm looking forward to that being a stepping stone into the coming weeks."

Ben Miller (seven disposals, 17 hit-outs, two marks, two goals)

"He's the ultimate utility/swingman and that was no different on the weekend. He played mainly as a key forward, but it was in the ruck that he really showed his authority. I'd like to see him have more of an impact when playing forward, but I thought he did play his role pretty well and also hit the scoreboard with two goals."

Seriously, is Noah Cumberland actually Kayne Petiffer from another dimension, visiting himself in a different time line? It feels a bit like the multi Spider-man universe stuff to us older guys. He literally looks and has the same fools gold feel about him, but he kinda gets results at the same time

Watched 3 quarters of the game and here are my thoughts on the AFL listed players:

Ross- solid all around performance through the midfield. Worked hard to get back into D50 and then pushed forward to be a weapon going into F50. Would be first in line to replace Broad in the 22.
Ralphsmith - much like the last practice match he flashed in and out of the the play. His pace can be a weapon when it comes to breaking the lines, but he struggles to get his hands on it enough to be a genuine line breaking threat.
Dow - solid game inside the contest often getting hands on it at the source and then making good decisions feeding it out to teammates. Knows he is down the pecking order, but will keep playing at a consistent level just in case an opportunity presents
Cumberland - if you watch closely enough you can see what is being asked of him. As a HF, they want him keeping his width on the fat side of the ground to ensure our KPF have room to move, then come in with the flight and be dangerous at ground level. Then when he pushes into the midfield they want him to be the one that gets the ball fed out to, so that he can use his foot skills to deliver going forward. The good part was the defensive work today with 6 tackles a good starting point and shows he can do it.
Bradtke - great first half with 5 goals really showed his talent, however it should be pointed out that the Bullants aren't the strongest opposition, but you still need to cash in when chances present like that. A good foundation to build off moving forward, but we shouldn't be expecting a 5 goal haul every week.
Sonsie - fitness levels look to be getting back to where they should be after missing a month of training just before the season begun. Cruised around the park and picked up a lazy 20 touches. Would need to see the intensity levels rise a bit before he earns a recall to the seniors.
Banks - an accumulator who got plenty of the ball playing as a distributor across D50. Another who set a solid foundation to build on for the 2023 season. Needs to back it up with consistency as that was a issue with him last year.
Clarke - a quieter game from Clarke playing that small CHF/extra midfielder role, that we like to employ. Like Hugo he flashes in and out of the play and needs to build consistency to his game.
Bauer - much like Bradtke he cashed in on chances that came against a weaker opposition defensive unit. Needs to perform against better quality opposition to get a true idea of where he stands.
Miller - came back from the AFL side and didn't exactly set game alight. Overshadowed by Biggie in the ruck and by Bradtke & Bauer up forward. Would like to see an improved effort in the coming weeks.
Nyoun - arguably the best I've seen him play with him jumping over the opposition ruck to win the hitout or getting back into defensive 50 and taking strong pack marks. Now that he has set that standard it needs to continue each week.
Reading VFL report appears sonz lacking fitness , rossy and Dow maybe more likely

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day VFL Gameday vs Ants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back