News Garlett & Robinson involved in Brawl

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton forward Jeff Garlett looks likely to receive further punishment than just a cut on the head after he was allegedly assaulted outside a Melbourne bar in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The 25 year-old played in the VFL on the weekend and his coach Mick Malthouse said today he was due to return to the senior side to face the Suns but now is unlikely to get the call up.

“I like to think that I treat all of my players as adults. You hope that they act like adults. There's no good time past one o'clock.

“We understand that they're young men. At our club, we want the best. There comes a time when you need to take responsibility.

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Malthouse-Garlett-was-back-in-now-hes-out/70987

Garlett getting a whack around the ears is not something I want to make comment on because it is a completely separate issue to him being out to all hours of the night.

I am really enjoying the 'bleeding hearts' mentality in this thread who want to make excuses for the guy. The fact of the matter is he shouldn't of been there in the first place, birthday or not.

The coach has sounded out loud & clear what he thinks of his antics and clearly this is not what he expects of his players.

When you are getting paid $250-300K per annum as an elite athlete, you are expected to tow the party line as laid down by the coach.

Clearly Jeffy didn't get the memo or preferred not to read it.

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Malthouse-Garlett-was-back-in-now-hes-out/70987
Garlett getting a whack around the ears is not something I want to make comment on because it is a completely separate issue to him being out to all hours of the night.

When you are getting paid $250-300K per annum as an elite athlete, you are expected to tow the party line as laid down by the coach.

That's disgusting and disturbing.........OK?........It's Toe The Party Line....................Got it!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:.....................:)

I am really enjoying the 'bleeding hearts' mentality in this thread who want to make excuses for the guy. The fact of the matter is he shouldn't of been there in the first place, birthday or not.

The coach has sounded out loud & clear what he thinks of his antics and clearly this is not what he expects of his players.

but how often has he not toes the line, doesnt that all confirm he is gone and possibly he thought heck its my birthday and im gone next year why not?

but how often has he not toes the line, doesnt that all confirm he is gone and possibly he thought heck its my birthday and im gone next year why not?
You're right.

He absolutely knew he's gone next year so he thought, hell, i'm going out tonight and i'm not going home till i get punched in the face by 4 guys at 5am. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

All players are employees of the club, they sign-on with behavioural clauses etc so regardless of what was going on behind the scenes in his life, he is still expected to follow the rules of the club.

It's quite possible that he is thinking "I'm out of here, what the heck, let's party" but that isn't good enough for mine.

I am involved with a large club and even down at our amateur suburban level, we have a minimum standard of decorum for our players (alcohol, appearance, behaviour etc) because it sets a standard to live by and build a reputation around. I can only imagine how much higher & stringent the rules would be for a professional athletes.

You're right.

He absolutely knew he's gone next year so he thought, hell, i'm going out tonight and i'm not going home till i get punched in the face by 4 guys at 5am. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Once again, someone who cannot differentiate between the two issues.

Well done .... !!!!

People are pretty quick to blur the issues on here....

From what I have read no one particularly cares that he was out until 5am...staying out late being a relatively recent innovation practised solely by the youth of today. No issue.

Some, myself and seemingly Mick included, think that pulling all nighters before work is probably not ideal, especially when your work performance is already sub par, and you are a highly paid highly scrutinized athlete. Separate issue.

Regards the altercation I don't see anyone on here blaming the victim as is being suggested...a few have acknowledged the link between being out in the early hours and the increased likelihood of such thing happening...which every emergency ward in the city would substantiate. Separate issue.

Others are cutting Jeff slack because its suspected he has issues...a great many of us likely do, yet we are still accountable to certain standards be it work, family or other. He's also a grown man with at least some support network. Separate issue.

Hope he bounces back this year...suspect he may not get an opportunity to.
I suffer from a syndrome called 'Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome' along with short term bouts of insomnia which means that I tend to get a lot less sleep than anyone else... regardless of what time I go to sleep.

When I am under stress, my DSPS plays up a lot more than when I am not under stress. At the moment, I am averaging 6-9 hours sleep a night. Usually, when I am working, I average 4-6 hours sleep a night.

It could be with everything that is going on in his life at the moment, that he did go out for his birthday... and he might have gotten home at a reasonable hour and tried to go to sleep. It could be that he couldnt get to sleep and decided to go back out and catch up again with his friends.

There are a lot of possible reasons why he was out at 5am. No one knows what they were. All we know is that he was attacked by 4 thugs while out with friends at that time.

If Jeffy went home after the VFL game, slept for 8 hours, got up at 11pm and went out to a quiet bar somewhere with mates listening to music and sipping water, would it be an issue?

I'm not sure whether it is a preparation/rest thing being out all night or whether it is a 'you should expect to be surrounded by idiots at 5am so stay at home until you retire from football' type of thing.

Clearly not intoxicated, didn't ruin his recovery session.

We have to be seen to be good model citizens, home in bed by a decent hour, eating right, sleeping right, living right, especially when you are not in the senior side and the team is not travelling well. PR decision as much as anything I guess.
Apparently his baby was restless a few weeks back and only had 3 hours sleep. A bit irresponsible of him to go and start a family. We probably should put a ban on him having more children....he's a professional footballer and should no better................ :rolleyes:

Apparently his baby was restless a few weeks back and only had 3 hours sleep. A bit irresponsible of him to go and start a family. We probably should put a ban on him having more children....he's a professional footballer and should no better................ :rolleyes:

I hope you were rolling eyes with me and not at me.

I hate these things

rolling-eyes.jpg

They should just put a curfew in place and not leave it up to the players to make a decision on whats acceptable or not. Everyone is different and from the ongoing debate opinions hugely vary on whats acceptable or not. But hey then what would we have to talk about!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just saw Mick's comments.
Micky seems pretty clear about what he expects from the players.
assuming he communicated the same thoughts to the group when he first came to the club (which i'm sure he did) then i'm not sure what Jeffy was thinking.

Murph was on Triple M earlier today and said words to the effect of "he was stringing together some good footy but being out til 5am just isn't a good look". Which is fine, but I've been at a couple of VFL games recently and I wouldn't say that he was playing well...so I'm intrigued to know whether or not he really was in the mix for Saturday. Maybe they're just saying that to make a point?

Murph was on Triple M earlier today and said words to the effect of "he was stringing together some good footy but being out til 5am just isn't a good look". Which is fine, but I've been at a couple of VFL games recently and I wouldn't say that he was playing well...so I'm intrigued to know whether or not he really was in the mix for Saturday. Maybe they're just saying that to make a point?

Who knows MEB_

Mick said that we was in the Team on Monday and now he's not.

Mick also said in his presser that given the poor quality of ball coming into the NBs forwardline - Jeffy couldn't be judged on goals etc. Perhaps he had certain KPIs etc to meet that we're obvious.

Or my gut feeling is - we're simply running out of players. And hence Jeffy was going to get a game because he's our only fit forward.

Mick also said in his presser that given the poor quality of ball coming into the NBs forwardline - Jeffy couldn't be judged on goals etc. Perhaps he had certain KPIs etc to meet that we're obvious.

Or my gut feeling is - we're simply running out of players. And hence Jeffy was going to get a game because he's our only fit forward.

What I think:

Garlett was never going to get selected for this game.
When Mick spoke about Sheehan, he was strong in stating that he got this game on the back of good form.
That says enough and has been the form of the MC when including players from the VFL. No one has been gifted games.

Saying that Garlett would have been selected says a lot of things to outsiders as well as to Jeff himself.

Mick is tricky..............always has been............always will be.

I guess I just want Jeffy to stay. I keep thinking back to that article about him, Eddie & Yazz. We've already lost Eddie. We need to keep Jeffy.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Garlett & Robinson involved in Brawl

Remove this Banner Ad

Back