Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 24, 2004
The Dom
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
HŠK Zrinjski Mostar
Why did the AFL bother giving them a license?...seriously a combined NT team or even a Tasmanian team would be more competitive than this mob.

The money would have been spent relocating a Melbourne team than marketing another Queensland team that's going to go nowhere for a decade that I can see.

Re: GCS what were AFL thinking?

You do realise that in all likelihood the lists would be almost exactly the same wherever a new team was located?

:rolleyes:

Richmonds first two games last year:

Richmond 9.10 (64) def. by Carlton 18.12 (120)
Richmond 7.6 (48) def. by Western Bulldogs 17.18 (120)

Who then proceeded to win 6 games.

They are a mostly young, inexperienced side, who I thought showed improvement today. What were you expecting? They go through the season undefeated?

They'll improve dramatically by the end of the year.

hey lets judge a bunch of talented kids based on 2 games.

even if they dont win a game all year, look at their list. the AFL isnt after results in 2011. theyre after results in 2013 onwards

Why did the AFL bother giving them a license?...seriously a combined NT team or even a Tasmanian team would be more competitive than this mob.

The money would have been spent relocating a Melbourne team than marketing another Queensland team that's going to go nowhere for a decade that I can see.

a) it wouldn't matter one bit where the team was located as to the list they have.

b) This team will be top 8 within 5 years. But yes they will suck for the first couple, everyone knew that already.

c) They've only played 2 teams who were top 8 last year. They will be much more competitive in the majority of their matches, as they'll start to get used to afl level football. Don't make big predictions based on a couple weeks. Last year, Richmond looked like they couldn't beat a team of witches hats halfway through the year, then turned it around. Gold Coast will win 4 or 5 this year.

:rolleyes:

Richmonds first two games last year:

Richmond 9.10 (64) def. by Carlton 18.12 (120)
Richmond 7.6 (48) def. by Western Bulldogs 17.18 (120)

Who then proceeded to win 6 games.

They are a mostly young, inexperienced side, who I thought showed improvement today. What were you expecting? They go through the season undefeated?

They'll improve dramatically by the end of the year.

A lot of those kids are from there local Queensland competition which isn't strong as the other states...Queensland is more of a rugby state than football one.

Why did the AFL bother giving them a license?...seriously a combined NT team or even a Tasmanian team would be more competitive than this mob. ... .
Using SOO rules, there are 50 Queensland listed AFL players. Tasmania and the NT each have less then 30.

I won't even bother mentioning populations and growth rates of each market.

... The money would have been spent relocating a Melbourne team than marketing another Queensland team that's going to go nowhere for a decade that I can see.
In 2 years time, they'll will be a far better side than Richmond.

Why are people so up in arms about a NEW team losing games? What did they think was going to happen? FFS talk about over reactions

what exactly would a tasmanian team, or any other team, have achieved in their first two games more than what gold coast achieved.

you are aware they would've had the same concessions and recruiting structures.

their on field performance would be pretty much identical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im with you tigetboyz...

I expected them to beat carlton who are on track to play deep into finals in their 1st game.

I was also suprised they didn't beat the dogs, its not like they are a tough, big bodied side with alot of experience and looking for a another big fianls campaign.

:rolleyes: .... :eek:

Why are they so bad after 2 games? I think i've wasted all my money becasue I backed them to win the 2011 preimership.

:thumbsdown:

I think they looked better this week. No doubt next week vs the Dee's will be more interesting.

OP = shortsighted idiot.

AFL/GC = longsighted and intelligent.

They could have stocked up on mature players and been more competitive in the immediate future but with the amount of young talent at their disposal, they will likely reach much higher heights in several years to come.

The exact same thread will be made in 5-6 years, only this time the OP will be different, and will be complaining about GC dominance. Richmond had a poor start to 2010 too, people were talking of not winning a game and you proceeded to win 6. Give them time, you can't expect young, inexperienced kids to dominate from day 1

The Suns will be the ones belting the Dogs within 3 years, the Bulldogs long term future is quite bleak, just give the kids 60 games and they will be jets, whereas the Dogs will be free falling down the ladder

Im with you tigetboyz...

I expected them to beat carlton who are on track to play deep into finals in their 1st game.

I was also suprised they didn't beat the dogs, its not like they are a tough, big bodied side with alot of experience and looking for a another big fianls campaign.

:rolleyes: .... :eek:

Why are they so bad after 2 games? I think i've wasted all my money becasue I backed them to win the 2011 preimership.

:thumbsdown:

I think they looked better this week. No doubt next week vs the Dee's will be more interesting.

Well if they receive a 3rd drubbing in a row big questions have to asked. I think you will belt them.

U would think with so many kids it might be worth trading their first and second round pick for more experinced players. Throwing kids into the deep end like this is a little silly IMO. Theses players need more guidance out there you would think that with so many 1st round picks from last year it would hurt to bring in some more experienced players.

Well if they receive a 3rd drubbing in a row big questions have to asked. I think you will belt them.

What big questions will be asked?

They could get a hiding every week for the rest of the year. Very few people would think they will finish any higher then bottom 3. In 2 years time they will be charging up the ladder.

will be top 4 in say 5 years..

trade gazza back imo
See and I dont buy into this top 4 in 5 years stuff either look at Carlton and essendon for example neither has made top four since 02 getting top picks isnt a sure thing. They need time and guidance with out it a players confidants can get lost and the players can just go into free fall.

On the bright side...

Last week they lost by 119.
This week they lost by 71.

So it follows that next week they'll only lose by 23...
And the the following week they'll win their first match by 25.

And if this pattern holds, by Round 22 they'll be winning by 937 points.

I say get on them for the flag!

Addendum: This post has more credibility than the OP.

Remove this Banner Ad

GCS what were the AFL thinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back