GCS what were the AFL thinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: GCS what were AFL thinking?

A lot of those kids are from there local Queensland competition which isn't strong as the other states...Queensland is more of a rugby state than football one.

Which is the exact reason the AFL chose to make a Gold Coast team.

They were probably thinking people put up with Richmond, why not Gold Coast.

Last year Richmond lost 3 games by 70 points or more
They also lost 1 by over 100 points and another 5 by 50 or more.

So 9 times Richmond lost by more than 50 points last year.

They're just the new Richmond

The problem is they banked a lot of picks and didn't trade enough, they were given a mountain of picks not to make a ridiculously strong team in 5 years time but so they could make a well balanced side equivalent to the other teams going around.

Had they picked up a few more quality players and a few more depth players then they would have a terrific team, but they are just looking to abuse the number of picks they were given access to. I hope they get annihilated all season because when all the top picks mature...

Why did the AFL bother giving them a license?...seriously a combined NT team or even a Tasmanian team would be more competitive than this mob.

The money would have been spent relocating a Melbourne team than marketing another Queensland team that's going to go nowhere for a decade that I can see.

A new team would've been useless wherever they were put.

This is an early contender for worst thread of the year.

Well if they receive a 3rd drubbing in a row big questions have to asked. I think you will belt them.

You're hilarious.

What big questions would be asked? Should they be talking about sacking McKenna? Should the 15 or so players who've played three career games be put on notice? I'm not sure what you expected to see out of the Gold Coast this year...

They will keep on improving. Their structure worked alot better today then last week. The gameplan was not bad either. Once these kids get more games in them the better they will be and so will the side overall.

Why did the AFL bother giving them a license?...seriously a combined NT team or even a Tasmanian team would be more competitive than this mob.

The money would have been spent relocating a Melbourne team than marketing another Queensland team that's going to go nowhere for a decade that I can see.

Can we bump this thread in 3 years time when GCS are top 4/8 and prevent Richmond's supposed rise to success?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we really wanted to talk about useless football teams, we could turn this one back on the OP and suggest he look no further than his own.

Richmond have made 2 finals series since 1982 or something. That's 2 finals series in nearly 30 years. I'll bet you that Gold Coast will have played more than two finals' series by 2040.

See and I dont buy into this top 4 in 5 years stuff either look at Carlton and essendon for example neither has made top four since 02 getting top picks isnt a sure thing. They need time and guidance with out it a players confidants can get lost and the players can just go into free fall.

Yeah maybe 3 or 4 don't.

They have as good as 20 of them.

Despite the early beatings, it's been pretty evident to me that they are laden with talented young players who are going to be gems.

Might be because no new club has ever been quite this bad.

the 2 WA and SA teams had a running start TBH esp WCE and ADL, they still had very strong WAFL and SANFL comps to build teams from and it still took them time.

the Suns are being built literally from scratch. they have traded instant competitiveness for a 4 or 5 yr plan at which time they'll be more than competitive.

the 2 WA and SA teams had a running start TBH esp WCE and ADL, they still had very strong WAFL and SANFL comps to build teams from and it still took them time.

the Suns are being built literally from scratch. they have traded instant competitiveness for a 4 or 5 yr plan at which time they'll be more than competitive.

Even the Bears weren't close to this bad, though.

Even the Bears weren't close to this bad, though.

Big difference being that the Bears had far less potential for improvement. They had a lot of players who'd played before, Gold Coast don't.
I know they're not a good side right now, and they won't win many this year, but I'm looking forward to watching their development as 2011 progresses. By the end of the year, I think we'll have seen 5-6 first year players emerge as potential stars of the game. And by 2012 they'll be 'competitive' in the sense that Richmond are currently 'competitive', ie, great sometimes, crap mostly. Then in 2013, Adelaide'll beat them in the GF. :thumbsu:

If i was a Richmond supporter I'd be more concerned about my team before having a dig at other teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

GCS what were the AFL thinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back