GDFL 2009 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any news on winch....Have they recruited well if so who??

Lots going on at Winch. 30-40 players at training every session. Virtually everyone signing on from last season. Alot of players returning from previous years.... Woofa, Smith, Harrison, the Bear, Tench, McClure, Alfy
Then throw in some handy new recruits... a couple of lads coming from Melbourne (guns) and various places and your looking at a really good side.

Lots going on at Winch. 30-40 players at training every session. Virtually everyone signing on from last season. Alot of players returning from previous years.... Woofa, Smith, Harrison, the Bear, Tench, McClure, Alfy
Then throw in some handy new recruits... a couple of lads coming from Melbourne (guns) and various places and your looking at a really good side.

Not to mention Coxon.

Thanx Hitman...Sounds like the new coach is making some progress then! Good to hear hopefully be competetive in 09

Thanx Hitman...Sounds like the new coach is making some progress then! Good to hear hopefully be competetive in 09

With a good pre-season from all players, a good coach and the recruits I think you might see a winchelsea side that will be more then just competitive ... only time will tell

Have they signed yet...

Have they signed yet...

Tench - yes (last night)
McClure - no

Good to see Winch will have a list of 60+ come start of the season too.

As for your comments hitman, STOP IT..... cos I'm getting excited and you know what happens when skanky bitch gets excited.

On the climb 09'

Tench - yes (last night)
McClure - no

Good to see Winch will have a list of 60+ come start of the season too.

As for your comments hitman, STOP IT..... cos I'm getting excited and you know what happens when skanky bitch gets excited.

On the climb 09'

hmmm sounds like i wont be getting a gig in the ones in 09

News that has come across my desk says that Ali "Wanna be a" star Woods may be on the move interstate next season. Sources close to the border inform me that the Woods Maverick has been spotted very close to the Woodville-West Torrens training base for the last few weeks, and Woods and his management company "Kloe", are in serious negs for the upcoming season. This comes on top of a huge offer from the Ballan Footy Club. My spies tell me that Ballan will "do whatever it takes to get Woodsy there". Apparently this includes a clause in his contract to pay Woodsy $100.00 everytime he talks to TMG:D! Also I hear on the grapevine that Inverleigh have picked up a gun recruit by the name of Darren, thats all I know. Played a fair bit of GFL footy by all accounts and lives in Teesdale

Season 2009 and beyond will be interesting. Clearence are now only 6 Bus day.
only 3 ways of objecting a clearence.
Contracted
Owes existing club $100+
Still has club property
Also now with the new Sportpulse management you wont be able to tell who is going where and vice versa.
People there is only 35 days left until clearnces are open.
So good luck all.

PS
Go Lions.

The Tamer

i hear they have signed former modda and then forrest player richard mcadam. they have lost starcevic. he is of 2 newtown. and they lost a good kid lachie hill he is of 2 the gfl.:thumbsu: they r also in talks 2 get paul and scott rossiter back from north shore;)

inverleigh must be desperate if they want the rossiter boys back. they are 2 of the worst players going round, only played at north shore to get a decent run, would be lucky to get a run in any reserves team in geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Geelong and District Football League 2

I dont think Belmont will be bottom 2 as I think those spots will be taken by Winch and West.

Anyway if we are making early predictions I will throw mine in (dont give them much credence as my strike right for the carnival shows I am a very poor tipster).

Thompson - experienced side that may have another tilt in them however if they loose the McLeod boys to higher leagues and Harriot, Gardiner, Hyland, Maheras and Wallace decide to not go on that leaves a big hole. Keep the side together top 3 if not out of the 5
Bannockburn - old and now they loose their key man will slide will miss finals 6 - 8
Corio - top 3 no problems as I understand their key players have committed again for '09. Lobbying the league to move the finals to Bakers Oval given the problems with the bigger St Albans surface.
East Geelong - competitive again but need to recruit some pace and a key defender top 5
Bell Post Hill - same as '08 top 5 only inconsistency keeping them out of the top 3
Inverleigh - should improve however others will be waiting for them this year. Will sneak into the finals at the expense of their old sparing partner
Anakie - will win and loose games the shouldn't and again will miss the finals and slide to the lower reaches of the ladder bottom 4
Belmont - same as '08 but with others improving bottom 4
Werribee - will improve on '08 and could be the suprise packet as you never know what happens with recruits 6 - 8
Geelong West - no coach, no recruits as yet cant see them improving on '08 bottom 2
North Geelong - have recruited a legend of Geelong footy as coach. Lkely to attract key players but also understand that there are a number of potential departures. Will improve but not enough to make finals 6 - 8
Winch - will struggle again bottom 2

Just going to do an early prediction to bring in the new year. My Ladder is based on what I have heard about recruits and so forth. I think the competition will become much tighter with the bottom sides looking at really improving-then previously thought.

1.Thomson- Havent heard of many leaving. Will definately finish from 1-3.
2.East Geelong- Looking at not losing anyone, very competitive 1-6.
3.Bell post-always competitive and there abouts. 3-8.
4.Belmont Lions- players returning from their premiership side and Haami relieved from coaching duties will see them right back in it. 1-8
5.Corio- There abouts, key players signing. 2-7. wont win it though.
6.Winchelsea- Past players returning and add some class. surprise. 2-10. need a forward.
7.Bannock- lost full foward.. club looks to be in shambles. Riccardi big pick up though. 2-7.
8.North Geelong-new coach, likely to draw players. 6-10
9.Inverleigh-surprised last season, may lose some players-other sides will improve more.
10.Werribee-wont improve-have no money. Recruited only WDFL 2's players. 6-12
11.Geelong West-improved last season, need some stars. 8-12
12.Anakie- about spent i think-but havent heard much. 6-12

What does everyone think of that?

Just going to do an early prediction to bring in the new year. My Ladder is based on what I have heard about recruits and so forth. I think the competition will become much tighter with the bottom sides looking at really improving-then previously thought.

4.Belmont Lions- players returning from their premiership side and Haami relieved from coaching duties will see them right back in it. 1-8
6.Winchelsea- Past players returning and add some class. surprise. 2-10. need a forward.
7.Bannock- lost full foward.. club looks to be in shambles. Riccardi big pick up though. 2-7.
9.Inverleigh-surprised last season, may lose some players-other sides will improve more.

Nice to see winch go from last to 6th. I think inver will be higher than 9th. East are my tip to take it out. Strengthened their list a lot from all accounts. I know they will like to keep it low key but they are very very confident in a big showing this year. Skroba to kick his 100th on grand final day. Any thoughts?

Nice to see winch go from last to 6th. I think inver will be higher than 9th. East are my tip to take it out. Strengthened their list a lot from all accounts. I know they will like to keep it low key but they are very very confident in a big showing this year. Skroba to kick his 100th on grand final day. Any thoughts?

Winch Vs East Grandfinal, The man they call Byron to stop Skroba from kicking his 100th!!!

The lions to finish bottom 4, maybe bannock to finish higher, I reckon your right with inver with other sides improving more. WINCH will improve out of sight. Corio no good, could finish lower then expected there already old players another year older!

Some people on here dont know much about football, 3/4 of Inverleighs side r 17 to 22 how r they not goin 2 improve even more on this year, yes they hav lost starscevic but hav gain some handy players from wot i hear, i would tip them 2 be in the top 5 somewhere. dont really know wot other teams r doin cause i wouldnt go by wot is posted on hear, im sorry 2 say this but 4 winch 2 get anywhere near the finals they will hav 2 find 18-20 new seniors players and i really doubt they could pick up that many quality players, they need 2 do wot other country teams hav done and start from the bottom up and get a good junior program goin. but we will find out how everyone is really traverling in about 5-6 months time

The lions to finish bottom 4, maybe bannock to finish higher, I reckon your right with inver with other sides improving more. WINCH will improve out of sight. Corio no good, could finish lower then expected there already old players another year older!
Bannock have 6 players over 35, there best players are kollegger, lewis, bliss, fisher now riccardi dont right grat clubs cos of age, as with Corio apart from Stewart who is 34, O'Toole 30 with the rest are middle aged have kept there whole list added Lazzarich, get hinch Nolan and harvey back from injury so to say they are no good you no nothing bout footy they will be top 3 definately. We can talk all we like the 5 will stay the same as last year with Inverleigh and Belmont a chance of sneakin in we here this talk time and time again but the facts will be justified in time.

Winch Vs East Grandfinal, The man they call Byron to stop Skroba from kicking his 100th!!!
he will get that 100 that day in the one game, Winch way off i dont care if they recruit 10 quality players ya cant turn it around in one year ask Blue West!

he will get that 100 that day in the one game, Winch way off i dont care if they recruit 10 quality players ya cant turn it around in one year ask Blue West!

As i have said before 40+ at training compared to last years preseason about 3. At least 15 new players in the side, a decent coach. And its only the 1st day of the year, more to come. This competition isnt that good, so if you add 5 quality players in any side it can make a massive difference. look at Belmont a couple of years ago.

As i have said before 40+ at training compared to last years preseason about 3. At least 15 new players in the side, a decent coach. And its only the 1st day of the year, more to come. This competition isnt that good, so if you add 5 quality players in any side it can make a massive difference. look at Belmont a couple of years ago.

No chance Winch will be anywhere near the finals, should be happy with 3 or 4 wins.

We added 10 and a seriously good and well respected coach. Hitman, you are kidding yourself if you think Winch will be that big of a threat this year. Belmont have had 30 - 40 most nights aswell. Quantity counts for little especially at this time of the year. Wait till round 1 and see how many are still around. I hate to say it but my top 5 will consist of Thomson, BPH, Corio, East and either Nth, Inverleigh or Belmont, with my old club the Panthers my early tip to win their 1st ever senior flag(as long as Nathan Lewis keeps his head. I've said it before and I'll say it again, they can't win it if he's not playing). Finishing 4 or 5 in the GDFL is like finishing 5-8 in the AFL, you are only there to stretch the finals for a bit longer to give the GDFL exec a couple of more weeks on the free squirt.
To finish with Hitman, if the comp isn't that good,I look forward to seeing you collecting the Whitley Medal this year as the new league B + F. I've been playing in the comp for 20 years(senior) and it's become an extremely good standard of football. Quality players from other leagues are now not just using it as a retirement fund, they are actually coming over while they still have a lot to offer. Maybe you should take yourself and your club back to the CDFL if you want a very ordinary comp :thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back