Geelong 2007 vs Collingwood 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of crap teams in 2007, Pies had more opposition in 2010 and were still 10 goals better than the field.

10 goals better than the field?

Pettered doesn't drop his mark in the goal square, and you don't finish on top of the ladder. As it was, Geelong still had the greater percentage this year.

Plus you had a draw in the GF.

One dropped mark and one behind off finishing 2nd and losing the GF, assuming you still make it with the harder first final.

10 goals better than the field?

Pettered doesn't drop his mark in the goal square, and you don't finish on top of the ladder. As it was, Geelong still had the greater percentage this year.

Plus you had a draw in the GF.

One dropped mark and one behind off finishing 2nd and losing the GF.
Yeh great logic, pity it doesn't work that way.

We were 6 points clear on top coming into round 22. If we had to win to take out the minor premiership, we may actually have gone more than half pace to beat the Hawks.

We were 6 points clear on top coming into round 22. If we had to win to take out the minor premiership, we may actually have gone more than half pace to beat the Hawks.

Hey, just as sound logic as most other posts in this thread. Especially those bringing up the Geelong Vs Collingwood 07 prelim, or those saying Collingwood are ten goals better than their 07 team, therefore are better than Geelong 07.

robertg22 said:
We haven't lost an interstate final.... ever? I haven't checked any stats there but we won:
2008 v Adelaide at AAMI - bunch of kids we were, the Didak/Shaw etc suspensions in affect...
Adelaide weren't a great side in 2008
13 wins, 11 losses

robertg22 said:
2007 v WCE at Subi - against the reigning premiers in extra time
As I already said, in 2007, West Coast were a shadow of their 2005-2006 best

Chris Judd was crippled with OP and was finally left out of team for that semi final
Ben Cousins missed most of the year due to suspension and pinged a hamstring the previous week against Port
Daniel Kerr was also injured in rnd 20 and missed the last four games

The Eagles were missing their three best players and they still nearly beat you

robertg22 said:
2002 v Port at AAMI - we were about $5.50 to win this game, Port had finished on top and we limped into the finals..
Great win, that was, but Port really were a bunch of chokers in those days. Hawthorn also beat them in a final over there in 2001 and we weren't the greatest team.

You missed the point I was trying to make. Try to imagine Collingwood emulating what Brisbane achieved in 2001, 2002 and 2003 when the Lions won three Grand Finals and one Prelim at their opponent's home ground. Good wins against top 3 teams.

Or to look at it another way, if all the major finals from 2001-2003 were played at the Gabba, try to imagine the bloodbaths that would've ensued.

The Lions were far more dominant than many people realise

Let's use logic as an attempt to appease the OP.

2007 Geelong won 17 games.
2010 Collingwood won 17 games.

2010 Collingwood smashed Geelong 2/3 times

2007 Collingwood lost to 2007 Geelong in a Prelim by 5 points, yet 2010 Collingwood is FAR better than 2007 Collingwood.

2010 Geelong lost to Collingwood in a prelim by 48

Going by that, have to say Collingwood JUST. But in the end, there is no clear answer that everyone would agree with.

Unless this Collingwood side wins 3 flags, then Geelong were better. If they win 2 then they are equal.

For now, I'm basking in the glory of 1 flag. From next year, it is about building a dynasty as Geelong did. We are not there yet, but the youth on the list is encouraging and we are as well placed as ever to dominate.

Still too early to compare. Geelong have the runs on the board still.

I'm going to agree with this comment.

I do think 'woods supporters have a lot to look forward to in 2011 though and it will be interesting to see if their game plan evolves further and if other teams can come up with new tactics to combat them.

Some the posters saying Geelong "easily" is a bit laughable. We are comparing one season against another, not across years or what happened before or after 2007 or 2010.

So I thought best way is to look at some stats.

Below is Geelong's season for 2007 followed by Collingwood's season for 2010.

GEELONG 2007

Geelong2007Season.jpg

COLLINGWOOD 2010

Collingwood2010Season.jpg

When you look at it, it is very very close.

However I would give it Geelong by a fraction (even thou i'm bias as any Collingwood fan), based on :

1. Greater average winning margin - 54 pts against 46 pts
2. The better % - 160% vs 144% (inc finals btw)
3. The ability of Geelong to score higher average scores for - 118 to 106.

But it is very very close.

Whether Geelong won the GF by greater than 100 pts really does not matter, a win is win no matter. Port were well beaten on the day as was St. Kilda.

Both Geelong and Collingwood deserved to win on the day that matters.

Collingwood has the best interstate record of any team in the league, so I'd say we would go pretty well.
Haha, you are comparing apples to oranges. Collingwood's great record interstate during the 2010 H&A has little relevance to the difficulties they would face in fronting up to the (top 3) teams on their interstate home ground during September. That's what the Lions faced.

As for weakened competitors, this is silly.
No, it's not. It's silly to think that things stay the same from year to year and teams don't get stronger or weaker

Before the Prelim against Geelong, nearly every neutral supporter thought the Cats were still the team to beat.
Rubbish. The majority of people were tippping Collingwood to win. Not by 10 goals, but most people felt that Geelong had already peaked and Collingwood were a hungry team in the rise.

This was an extremely tough year to win a premiership given the experience of the Cats and the hunger of the Saints.
Every season is tough, but this year wasn't "tougher" than previous years. Not for Collingwood anyway. In 2010, the Magpies improved out of sight while their top four rivals went slightly backwards.

If the Collingwood team of 2010 travelled back through time to 2009, they would've found Geelong, St Kilda and Bulldogs a far tougher propostion.

Geelong kept on winning in 2010, but mostly out of habit. They were nowhere near as dominant as previous years.

The Saints were awesome in 2009, particularly Nick Riewoldt. Not nearly as good this year. They were motivated by the pain of last year's defeat but they also had a few injured players in the Grand Final who weren't able to contribute much.

The Bulldogs were barely top 8 standard in this year's finals series. They eked out a lucky semi final win against Sydney on guts alone. If they had all their injured stars up and running, then Collingwood would've found them to be much tougher to beat.

After this years Prelim, I would be super confident of taking on the 2007 Geelong team, especially considering a far less talented team took them to under a kick in the 2007 Prelim.
The game plan and the 2010 Pies ability to pressure the ball carrier is the reason why though.
As far as watchability and talent goes, the 2007-10 Cats have no peer.
Yeah, I think the same way

It's a pointless hypothetical. Tactics improve with each passing year. So do training methods. Geelong '07 probably wouldn't know what hit 'em once the Magpies of 2010 started subbing their players every 30 seconds and tackling them like a pack of rabid dogs.

The Magpies would also know what to exactly expect from Geelong. They would know how to play them, they'd seen it all before, whereas Collingwood of 2010 would be a complete unknown for the 2007 Cats

Collingwood would know to give Gary Ablett a coathanger tackle every time he tried to work a one-two. They could also rush 13 behinds without any fears of giving away the free kick for deliberate.

uh, no, dismantling would be what we did to collingwood in the 09 prelim
Maybe I should cite what happened in 1901 as well. 2009 is about as relevant as 1901 given what has happened our last 2 hitouts against each other.

One year is a long time in football these days, and given the results of this year compared to 2009, there has been a 20 goal turnaround from the result you quoted.

Geelong, 3 consuective grand finals. Geelong knocked collingwood at the prelim's twice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comparing home and way records is kinda pointless because you dont win flags in the H&A season that just gets you to the finals.

What really makes a convincing premiership is how close you came to not winning it.

So really neither of these sides was particularly dominant as the OP puts it. The 2007 cats won the PF by a goal so could have quite easily gone out then, while the Pies drew the 1st GF were even closer so going out.

I would argue that the 08 Hawks were more convincing as they were never in danger of not winning it. Basically look at a teams lowest winning/drawing margin in an elimination match.

The 91 Eagles had a better percentage with the same wins as these teams adn they didnt win it.

The Geelong side in 07 lost to 3 sides outside the Top 8.

During the Year, they only played the Top 4, 3 times.
Conversely, the 2010 Collingwood version played the Top 4, 6 times.

Let's use logic as an attempt to appease the OP.

2007 Geelong won 17 games.
2010 Collingwood won 17 games.

2010 Collingwood smashed Geelong 2/3 times

2007 Collingwood lost to 2007 Geelong in a Prelim by 5 points, yet 2010 Collingwood is FAR better than 2007 Collingwood.

2010 Geelong lost to Collingwood in a prelim by 48

Going by that, have to say Collingwood JUST. But in the end, there is no clear answer that everyone would agree with.
Get your facts straight. Geelong won 18 games in '07, including winning 15 games straight. We beat you in 2 preliminary finals when we were at our best. And you beat us when we were clearly on the decline.

We also beat St.Kilda last year in the GF when they were having their best season, you drew with them this year & were lucky there wasn't extra time.

Get your facts straight. Geelong won 18 games in '07, including winning 15 games straight. We beat you in 2 preliminary finals when we were at our best. And you beat us when we were clearly on the decline.

We also beat St.Kilda last year in the GF when they were having their best season, you drew with them this year & were lucky there wasn't extra time.

Luck had nothing to do with it. There is not extra time in a GF. Those were the rules, still are the rules and imo will stay that, as the AFL will never have extra time in GF. Everyone knows this before the game.

Geelong 12 points clear on top going into rd 22.
Won Qualifiying final by 100+points, Won Grand Final by 119points.

Two more mins in Grand Final 1 and Collingwood dont win the game /thread

During the Year, they only played the Top 4, 3 times.
Conversely, the 2010 Collingwood version played the Top 4, 6 times.

Don't know what season you're refering to but in 07 Geelong's 4 losses were to WB (13), Hawthorn (5), North (4) & Port (2).

Geelong, 3 consuective grand finals. Geelong knocked collingwood at the prelim's twice.
Do you have a comprehension problem? The thread is Geelong 2007 season v Collingwood 2010 season. Geelong only played in 1 grand final in 2007.

Two more mins in Grand Final 1 and Collingwood dont win the game /thread
30 more seconds and you don't even make the 2007 GF /thread

See I can make stupid statements too! :rolleyes:

You are the worst poster in the history of the world.

FAIRANBALANCED, like anyone can even know that.

First off, how are Geelong so much worse in 2010 than they were in 2007? People were talking how they may have gotten better with a more reliable tall forward in Jpod. If they hadn't of been smashed in the Prelim, and it was a couple of goals in it, there would be arguments that would say Geelong were the second best side of the year. Remember all that had to happen was Lingy's goal to be paid a goal and Geelong were in the GF.

Gameplan had been worked out, they were good enough to overcome it on occasion, but against sides that had been tailored to counter, just didn't have a reliable plan B. Kicked quick and long against the Saints in the 2nd half of the QF, no idea why they didn't do that in the PF. At all.

I'm certain that before the Prelim you would've been saying Geelon is just as good as they were in 2007.

Seriously no on this one though. Had resigned myself pretty much after the Saints loss that we weren't going to win a flag this year. HAd some great wins after that though, and I enjoyed them as much or more than any in the couple of years previous.

20 goals better. Huh!

Slight exaggeration maybe, who knows. Are you going to jump on your mate saying Collingwood are 10 goals better than anyone else right now?

After this years Prelim, I would be super confident of taking on the 2007 Geelong team, especially considering a far less talented team took them to under a kick in the 2007 Prelim.

Do you realise how pointless this is? Do you realise we beat you handily this year? Do you realise you drew with Melbourne, and lost to Brisbane?

Oh god, I could answer some more of these posts, but I just realised, even if we win 4 Flags in a row, the majority of non Pies supporters would be underplaying the effort in some way. No point.

Haha, it doesn't matter what any side does. You will never be as good as X.

Can you imagine the frustration of Brisbane supporters being told they weren't as good as Collingwood in the 20s?

Welcome to Bigfooty hehehehehe

Why lie? So insecure young padawan.

The fact that so many Geelong supporters choose to acknowledge 07,08 AND 09 despite the OP being about 07 Geelong vs Collingwood 10, shows they clearly know Collingwood 10 is the better side.

Bahaha... ok, you just tell yourself that.

I think its to hard too compare.

But I personally think looking at how the teams line up, their game-plans and the team and individual form is the best... not how dominant either team was during their respective season, because that's obviously depends on the competition, not the individual side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong 2007 vs Collingwood 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back