GDFL Geelong and District Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea who would of thought. Look what happens when clubs spend money? East Geelong have gone out and to there credit spent a lot of money on quality players they would have at least 10 new players in the seniors from last year. Belmont Lions is a funny one think they get proped up a bit by the league but again good on them. Gallgher or what ever he's name is is a gun. For a little bloke tough as nails. I really don't care who wins but lets hope it's a good hard game and the weather is fine for a few frothers. One that I have heard Ricky Stewart Bruhn have all signed up bush big bucks apparently one certain bloke who use to play at Lara is throwing money around. Any way one more game lets look forward to a great 2008 hopefully the drought is broken.....
Every club spends the money its just that some years you actually get what you pay for rather than over-priced 2's players from the GFL, mid rangers from the Bellarine and unknowns from other regions who run well in the pre-season but fall away when the pressure starts.

Skrobba and the recruits at East can all play and this is the same story for Haami and the guys he attracted to Belmont.

For mine East will win on Saturday by 3 to 5 goals.

From my sources which are pretty good otoole ,stewart, bruhn, lazzarich, c collins, tatey ,manning and fergusen all going to corio next year.

If at least the first three are serious, they should get the hell out of Geelong. They have individually done well in all comps in the region, and if it's money they are after (I'm suggesting it is), then coming off a GF win, as coaches, league medal and best on ground in GF medal, all look good on their CV's, bush clubs would pay the going rate.

Didnt say they had won 1 in the Ballarat League, but they have won 1.
They have been in the BFL for a hell of long time now without a premiership so from the club and supporters point of view it would feel as if they have never won one.

If they did win one I doubt whether the league they won it in exists any more.

They have been in the BFL for a hell of long time now without a premiership so from the club and supporters point of view it would feel as if they have never won one.

If they did win one I doubt whether the league they won it in exists any more.

I think we should be talking about the grand final not bacchus marsh.
They will finish bottom again so frankly most people dont care.

Im backing east my 3 goals

I think we should be talking about the grand final not bacchus marsh.
They will finish bottom again so frankly most people dont care.

Im backing east my 3 goals
I am on East by 3 to 5. Too much firepower up forward. Skrobolak has been well held against them twice but I would think for him 3rd time lucky and this will be the difference. Sean O'Leary should also be back after missing the 2nd Semi.

I understand the league has asked Belmont to wear the away strip (East have an alternate but you are not allowed to play in "skins"). Lets hope sense prevails and they do so we can at least tell who's who out there.

Howdy fellow GDFL fans. I must say, over the past couple of days i've been able to peruse other forums and i must say, i think ours is the best. Most others start with "You're a **** Wit". I think the banter between all members has been great for the whole season... Well done lads. Lets move on... I don't want to say i told you so... but i told you so! So much hard work goes into every club but i must say when you start with a plan 4 or 5 years ago and see it played out, you feel really proud of everyone who shared your dream. Belmont now has 4 junior football sides, all doing well. Full senior and Junior netball sides. A great "helper" base, and supporters who love being around "their" club. The work is not finished by any means. Belmont need to field an under 18's and need to raise more income, but the future is bright and win, lose or draw on Saturday, everyone who has been on the ride will feel very proud about their club. Good luck to everone on Saturday... The winner will be the GDFL .....and the BELMONT LIONS! :)

I am on East by 3 to 5. Too much firepower up forward. Skrobolak has been well held against them twice but I would think for him 3rd time lucky and this will be the difference. Sean O'Leary should also be back after missing the 2nd Semi.

I understand the league has asked Belmont to wear the away strip (East have an alternate but you are not allowed to play in "skins"). Lets hope sense prevails and they do so we can at least tell who's who out there.

i think we should say that its a massive achievement by both clubs to even make the granny this year, especially after they were both horrendus last year. i think it also shows that finally the GDFL is starting maybe a bit of unpredictability and not just the same teams winning flags like thomson werribee banno corio etc. two sides that played out 04 granny corio and werribee were both poor this year and maybe its a sign that finally the GDFL is becoming a bit more unpredictable

but wot will be predictable forever is that playing blue west will be a bye

word on the street is that matthew lewis is the player/coach of bell post hill in 2008

You are a w***er whiskers. He will never ever go to Hill. Are you related to the Lewis's cause you seem to talk about them all the time. Who will win the B&F? You!!!! Any real news about movement around the traps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the forecast is for cooler weather for the big one tomorrow. both teams should appreciate this. there is nothing worse than playing in a grandfinal which is played in warmish and windy conditions. It might be ok or the specators but it's not much fun for the players.

FANTASTIC EFFORT BELMONT!!!

What a win!

Can someone PM me if there is any chance of getting a copy of the dvd?

Cheers

As above, Great work lions. Come a long long way. Guess we wont hear anything from the lions supporters for a few days yet. Can we get a description from anyone who was there?

By the way is cogs still involved?

Belmont lead early, with east making a comeback just prior to half time to be 4 points up at the break, belmont fought it out with them to reduce the margin to 2 points at 3 quarter time. As the players were heading to the huddle that dirty wanka Scrobolak hit one of the belmont boys which was seen by police officers and umpiring officials who at the start of the quarter red carded scrobba (as he had already been sent off with a yellow earlier). East stilll managed to get a couple in the last to be 8 points up with 5 mins to go then some magic by danny warren and tom carson both kicking snapshot goals from nowhere took the lead and were able to hold on for those final minutes. Haami was best on field, kristan Jeffrey killed it as did Ash Bogan and guinan smashed O'Hara keeping him to 1 goal after last time he kicked 7.
Scrobolak has got the ass from East and will not be returning as coach or player next year. Good riddance.
Go Belmont Lions!!!

We were coming back from the coast and the kids , who love their country footy, suggested we drop in on the GDFL gf. Not knowing anything about the league ( I did grow up in Geelong a long time ago ) or the history of the clubs involved, I witnessed one of the great local footy moments, complete with fights in the huddle, novelty car horns, half time sprints, real passion and a finish you couldn't have scripted .. and then learned that the Lions, traditional cellar dwellers, had snagged their first flag !! And being an old Roy boy and Lions fan, couldn't be happier for them.

Apart from East's coach being expelled twice from the game ( and the team seemingly playing better in his absence ), the thing that amazed me was the half time setup for Belmont. They did not leave the ground but instead had a relaxing kick to kick in amongst the crowd, with the odd massage and conflab around the magnetic board. I've never seen this before and speculated how this would affect them .. seemed to have done the trick. Maybe this could catch on at AFL level ..

Thought the Lions' no 48 stood up in the last as a forward focal point ( after giving away a few frees in the 3rd ) .. and the umpiring was nice and old fashioned.

A fantastic day ...

Belmont lead early, with east making a comeback just prior to half time to be 4 points up at the break, belmont fought it out with them to reduce the margin to 2 points at 3 quarter time. As the players were heading to the huddle that dirty wanka Scrobolak hit one of the belmont boys which was seen by police officers and umpiring officials who at the start of the quarter red carded scrobba (as he had already been sent off with a yellow earlier). East stilll managed to get a couple in the last to be 8 points up with 5 mins to go then some magic by danny warren and tom carson both kicking snapshot goals from nowhere took the lead and were able to hold on for those final minutes. Haami was best on field, kristan Jeffrey killed it as did Ash Bogan and guinan smashed O'Hara keeping him to 1 goal after last time he kicked 7.
Scrobolak has got the ass from East and will not be returning as coach or player next year. Good riddance.
Go Belmont Lions!!!
You Peanut. Why start crap like that. Not one bit of truth there.
Shallow victory for the Lions. East were fantastic considering what happened. To play with 17 in the last and to fight that hard and to have it snatched away with lucky goals late would be shattering to the boys.
Boundary umpire trying to get a name for himself ruined the game. Just a joke. I agree with the send off rule, but not in situations like that, was a disgrace.
Haami was not best on either. He was good, but P. Hoey no 20 for East was fantastic all day, kicked 2 goals in the last qtr and almost won the game off his own boot.
Summing up, the better team did not win on the day, but in the end the Lions have the cup.

Shallow victory for the Lions. East were fantastic considering what happened. To play with 17 in the last and to fight that hard and to have it snatched away with lucky goals late would be shattering to the boys.
Boundary umpire trying to get a name for himself ruined the game. Just a joke. I agree with the send off rule, but not in situations like that, was a disgrace.
Haami was not best on either. He was good, but P. Hoey no 20 for East was fantastic all day, kicked 2 goals in the last qtr and almost won the game off his own boot.
Summing up, the better team did not win on the day, but in the end the Lions have the cup.

You tosser. You lost.
I am astounded by your attempts to justify a loss from an almost unlooseable position, (dare we say choke?) but further astounded by your blatant poor sportsmanship. Nobody like a sore looser.
In saying that, I am not a supporter of the degenerative abuse thrown about on this forum recently and wish not for it to continue. Let’s keep our focus on the footy and the fantastic game we were all privilege to witness.
But fair dinkunm. You tosser.

i thought adam skobolack lost the game for east when he was sent off. I woudnt be suprise if east geelong do get rid of him but to belmonts credit they were the better team in 2008. Hammi Williams is more than welcome at my club any day cos just the way he plays and leads from the front what a man.
Also when i was walking towards the canteen i saw a new fit just tarr, he was looking very slim and must have lost some kg's over the past week.

I picked East, having played some footy there a few years ago, but Belmonts win is GREAT for local footy, and i am honestly thrilled that they won.

Good job Haami, and good job Belmont, totally deserved.

You Peanut. Why start crap like that. Not one bit of truth there.

mate im biased but this taking it to a new level, haami was unbelievable and its ur so called leaders fault that you only had 17. he deserved to be sent off. east should have won, and would have if they had 18 but they didnt so get ova it

well done belmont!

Personally I didn't think you could do it but fantastic effort considering where you have come from.

The coach from east would be hurting real bad. It will be interesting to see what transpires outa of his grandfinal performance. to think he is was so very well controlled throughout the season, only to let all his good work go out the window with some stupid actions on the biggest day of all would be a real concern for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back