List Mgmt. Geelong at the 2012 AFL National Draft (selections Nos. 16, 77 and 92)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can have two rookie upgrades/zone selections or equivalent, meaning you only have one live pick as GC did last year.

If we trade out all our other moving pieces in deals like McIntosh, wouldn't surprise me if we only took one pick at the draft. Might depend on what we get back from GC and also whether someone like Brown moves, as if we get a pick for him we will definitely want to use it.

Thanks PO , I was wondering how many picks and how many upgrades were available and presto - there it was !
Seems we are heading for Pick 15 as our lowest and with the next at 70 or so you would think we would use that to upgrade a Rookie. There was mention of a change of picks in the Caddy deal but looks like we didn't get anything in return?
In any event Caddy / Rivers/ HMac and P15 is a damn good Draft for us.

so by my count we have lost 4 players (hogan, scarlett, wojo and byrnes) and gained 3(caddy, rivers mac), and need to upgrade or lose 2 rookies and have already committed to stringer. so we have no space on the list as it stands, but need to use pick 15 and probably upgrade walker, so 2 players still have to go, is that right? so would that mean we delist gillies and or brown, or trade them for picks we wouldnt use anyway?

You would assume Gillies is gone ( delist or high 3rd rounder which we wont use )... and sadly it looks like Mitch Brown is likely to go. We might pull a second rounder for him....might.....and you would think Sheringham, Simpkin, Burbury or even Walker (omg! ) might be wanted elsewhere....there will be pain.....

so by my count we have lost 4 players (hogan, scarlett, wojo and byrnes) and gained 3(caddy, rivers mac), and need to upgrade or lose 2 rookies and have already committed to stringer. so we have no space on the list as it stands, but need to use pick 15 and probably upgrade walker, so 2 players still have to go, is that right? so would that mean we delist gillies and or brown, or trade them for picks we wouldnt use anyway?
That is correct..I would say Gillies is gone (hopefully gets to another club ) but the pick we would get in all likely hood not be used anyway.
Brown, if he gets traded is the other. If no trade then we keep him as he has another 2 years of his contract. I'd say he has value to several clubs and should get traded. If not then Stephensen goes,but i think Geelong will try to keep him playing with the Vfl on a reasonable contract.
Would not surprise me if all 3 are gone, leaving us with 2 picks in the draft and an extra Rookie upgrade. This would depend on us being able to get our hands on a 2nd Rd pick.
Simpkin and Sherringham delisted or traded.That would enable us to Rookie 2 players and possibly 3 if we upgrade Walker/Bunbury!

We have to draft two players one way or another - AFL requires you to use three draft picks as a minimum, one of which can be a rookie upgrade (ie Stringer). As it stands we have the space for that, even if we sign Rivers and McIntosh (assuming both Gillies and Stephenson are delisted). If we trade out #36 for McIntosh as expected we'd draft at 15 and 55. Gold Coast have 25 and 44, so we'd trade 15 for 25 and 44. As Piv said we've done it before (2009 and 2011) although equally we traded up in 2010 for Pick 15.

And that's how it rolled out Jester.

The links below were stolen from another thread on the Geelong-Total Footy. I think it was the Gillies thread IIRC.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150344/default.aspx
"TOM GILLIES is set to nominate for the NAB AFL Draft after being told that Geelong will delist him in the coming days"
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150344/default.aspx

Would actually be pretty cool if we picked up Nathan Wright. I played junior cricket with him and played against him in footy when he was at Berwick, very good player, played on the wing, strong hands, good leap, just ran all day and knew where to go to find the ball.

so with Orren and Tom being the ones to go and Stringer being elevated and probably Walker too, that means we only need to use pick 16 and we are done? wow. Busy trading but will be very quiet draft it seems.

Would actually be pretty cool if we picked up Nathan Wright. I played junior cricket with him and played against him in footy when he was at Berwick, very good player, played on the wing, strong hands, good leap, just ran all day and knew where to go to find the ball.

Like him but I think 16 is very early for him but I will add

So..
P16 , the live pick
P79 , probably a Rookie elevation either Walker or Burbury

Our draft guess/estimate will be very thin this year.
Turbo, club website says we are taking two picks in the draft and upgrading Stringer. Doesn't look like we will upgrade any other rookies.

Likely players that have been mentioned for us , if available......

Troy Menzel
Jessie Lonergan
Taylor Garner
Jake Stringer
Dayle Garrlett
Nathan Wright
Nick Vlaustin

........ more names?.....
That's probably the first time I've seen Garner's name mentioned in relation to the Cats, seems to be one of these under-the-radar types. Looks a good prospect and wouldn't mind seeing him at 16. Josh Simpson is the other I reckon might be a shot for our first pick. I had been all over the likes of Stringer, Wines, Menzel, O'Rourke, Macrae, but from gossip doing the rounds over the last few days it seems all will be gone around the top 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turbo, club website says we are taking two picks in the draft and upgrading Stringer. Doesn't look like we will upgrade any other rookies.

OK , thank CE. But if we are taking a pick at 79... I wonder who we think will still be there that is worth us ignoring our Rookies? Someon hidden away? Could it be "Jake" whatshis name ( the player we do not mention )... any other ideas

At least it will make our comp more interesting

That's probably the first time I've seen Garner's name mentioned in relation to the Cats, seems to be one of these under-the-radar types. Looks a good prospect and wouldn't mind seeing him at 16. Josh Simpson is the other I reckon might be a shot for our first pick. I had been all over the likes of Stringer, Wines, Menzel, O'Rourke, Macrae, but from gossip doing the rounds over the last few days it seems all will be gone around the top 10.

Ok , will add. Wines will be gone for sure , probably to Melb.

The only thing that could change that is what happens to Tippet. If Melb had enough money to grab him.. suddenly changes their list a bit

OK , thank CE. But if we are taking a pick at 79... I wonder who we think will still be there that is worth us ignoring our Rookies? Someon hidden away? Could it be "Jake" whatshis name ( the player we do not mention )... any other ideas

At least it will make our comp more interesting
No idea. For one thing they must know they are in no danger of losing Walker or any of the others they desire to keep on.

As I said in the other thread, a left field idea if there is nothing left by 79 is to re-draft Gillies.

Ok , will add. Wines will be gone for sure , probably to Melb.

The only thing that could change that is what happens to Tippet. If Melb had enough money to grab him.. suddenly changes their list a bit
Yeah, sounds like Wines gone top 5, O'Rourke could be top 6-7. Perhaps a small chance Macrae could still be there, if he gets past Richmond at 9, there's:
11. Carlton, 12. Greater Western Sydney, 13. Gold Coast , 14. Greater Western Sydney, 15. North Melbourne - none of these teams are short on mids, perhaps a small chance he'll still be there?? Very unlikely but you never know...

i'd upgrade burbury with pick 79.

and as much as i'd love to take troy menzel with our first pick, if we only have one decent draft pick we have to make it count. i also think GWS will take that risk with pick 12 or 14, since they have 5 picks in the first round

also, how shit is pick 16 for a team who only just made the finals?

can't wait until the Gold coast/GWS compo picks are done and dusted, and hope the AFL stops awarding compensation picks for free agents during the first round

The article does not say that we will not be using 79 for a rookie upgrade.
It is silent on the issue.
As I said in the other thread, that's right, but saying we will take two picks int he draft is the same thing.

As I said in the other thread, that's right, but saying we will take two picks int he draft is the same thing.

No, it isn't.
The article says we will be taking 2 picks into the draft, it says nothing at all about how we will use them.

No, it isn't.
The article says we will be taking 2 picks into the draft, it says nothing at all about how we will use them.
Yes it is.

This is fun, isn't it? Back to the other thread now??? :D

http://www.afl.com.au/offseason/keydraftdates/tabid/19765/default.aspx

there are three oportunties to make changes to our list prior to the draft:

list lodgement 1 is october 31st
list lodgement 2 is november 15th
list lodgement 3 is november 29th

i'd expect clubs will be upgrading and delisting rookies up until list lodgement 2 (non-retained rookies have the ability to nominate for the draft until 16th november)

and just because the club website says it doesn't make it official club policy. the afl and club websites are glorified news feeds from telstra bigpond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back