Roast Geelong can't develop young players

Remove this Banner Ad

Lawson looks like a fantastic pick up by the Geelong recruitment staff
Great user and looks like he will be the perfect plug and play replacement for Tuohy next season

Love seeing a late draft pick gem

Wells masterclass once again, the dude is on another level when it comes to late pick steals.
He’s no Kane Lambert or Liam Baker but he goes alright…

I guess… ;)

and he will end up wanting to "home home to WA" - that's the risk when you pick players from WA. He was from West Coast's academy.

And how many West Australians have we ever lost back to WA?

Shane Kersten who was on the way out anyway and Tim Kelly which was totally understandable but we still got given magic beans by the Eagles to send him home. Before that at a stretch Stephen O'Rielly when the Dockers started.

Another 14 coaches votes between Holmes and Dempsey. Holmes must be pushing for an AA birth. Dempsey being talked up as favourite in the rising star. Seems like not bad development.

Not to mention Humphries looked right at Home in his debut like he was already a veteran, Miers is tied top 5 in goal assists and generally considered one of the best High Half Forwards in footy, SDk has added another notch to his belt playing as a Ruck, Zac Guthrie is super reliable down back and has basically filled Stewy's role when he went into the middle.

Look at all those rookie/late picks thriving...."gEeLonG cAn'T dEveLop yOunG tAleNt!"

Clown shit, mods need to flair this post with a "Backfire" tag.

Not to mention Humphries looked right at Home in his debut like he was already a veteran, Miers is tied top 5 in goal assists and generally considered one of the best High Half Forwards in footy, SDk has added another notch to his belt playing as a Ruck, Zac Guthrie is super reliable down back and has basically filled Stewy's role when he went into the middle.

Look at all those rookie/late picks thriving...."gEeLonG cAn'T dEveLop yOunG tAleNt!"

Clown shit, mods need to flair this post with a "Backfire" tag.
Humphries was developed by West Coast.
Dempsey by the Ammos and his u16 basketball squad.
Holmes by his former olympian mother
Guthrie by his brother
etc etc

You just have to look a bit deeper and you can see this is all one big coincidence.

Blooding young kids but they haven't been developed well enough to fill the breach
Cats kids look average as the oldies are fading away.
Thoughts on Hawthorn's bog average youth getting put to the sword for the second time by Geelong? A lot of B-graders running around in the brown and gold nowadays, but need to find the De Konings and Dempseys of the world to take that next step. Stick fat though, keep hitting those drafts. 💪

Thoughts on Hawthorn's bog average youth getting put to the sword for the second time by Geelong? A lot of B-graders running around in the brown and gold nowadays, but need to find the De Konings and Dempseys of the world to take that next step. Stick fat though, keep hitting those drafts. 💪
Lol been saving that one up for a while. Glad your first thought after a win was to come chat to us. One swallow does not a summer make

Last edited:
My thoughts remain unchanged. Will be the first to admit that the young Hawks were very very ordinary today one of the worst performances for the year more so than how good you think your Pussies are travelling. Enjoy the win today but Cats are no near the best ……. let’s see how both clubs go in the next year or so as I’m confident that the current Hawks you are hanging your hat on today are no where near the finished product!

My thoughts remain unchanged. Will be the first to admit that the young Hawks were very very ordinary today one of the worst performances for the year more so than how good you think your Pussies are travelling. Enjoy the win today but Cats are no near the best ……. let’s see how both clubs go in the next year or so as I’m confident that the current Hawks you are hanging your hat on today are no where near the finished product!
Inaccurate kicking, should have won by more.

GG Hawkies

What was encouraging for us yesterday was that our young or (AFL) inexperienced players, plus the next generation of prime movers (taking over from our current veterans), were very good.

Dempsey: 23 disposals, 5 score involvements. Quality contributions, especially first half.
SDK: 20 disposals, 2 goals, 4 clearances, 6 score involvements, 6 tackles. Playing the "extra midfielder" role well.
Close: 14 disposals, 4 goals, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements. Remains an underrated player with another 5+ years of good footy left.
Mannagh: 20 disposals, 8 score involvements, 14 tackles. Absolute terrier.
Neale: 12 disposals, 2 goals, 4 scoring shots, 6 score involvements. Squared a number of 50/50s. Good signs.
Humphries: 17 disposals, 7 marks. Used it well. Looks composed already.
Clark: 18 disposals from 60% game time. Starting to find the footy. Not as erratic with ball in hand. 13 effective disposals to 3 turnovers is a better ratio than he had been hitting.

Stengle and Miers 6 score involvements each - our forward line is functioning nicely again. J.Henry has found some form. Zuthrie solid as usual. Holmes was a little more quiet than usual but has had an outstanding season and gave us solid drive from defence yesterday. We must have developed and improved these sorts of players fairly well.

The last two weeks they have had better support from the veterans, so of course it's going to be tough once their decline is permanent or they retire. But the 25 and unders have by and large put together decent seasons relative to their age/experience profile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at our list of players under 22 at the start of the season:
  • Holmes: Nudging All Australian, probably in the 40 man squad
  • Dempsey: Favourite for the rising star and top winger/HFF over the last month
  • Bruhn: Performing well, verging on elite statistically for a 22 y.o before recent 4 week injury
  • Henry: One of the leading goal kickers (non KPF’s) over the last two seasons
  • Humphries: Top performing VFL player in his 1st season as a rookie draft pick. Looks at home in his 2nd senior game
  • O’Sullivan: Cracked into the senior team as an 18 y.o draftee, not easy as a 198cm KPF. Didn’t look out of place and going well in the VFL
There are a few others like Knevitt, Neale, Clark, and Conway who have played AFL this season and look capable but I personally aren’t quite as high on. Clohesy, also has been doing well in the VFL and there’s a few mature age recruits like Mannagh, Mullins, and Hardie that are showing a bit in there 1st/2nd season. They obviously don’t meet the above criteria but are developing and look capable of earning regular game time at AFL.

We will probably see our over 30’s on the list drop from 11 to 6 this time next year so we are definitely in a transition phase. And it looks like we might have found a way to temporarily remain competitive with Danger/Stewart in the middle but will need a big bodied extractor in the near future. Overall, the age profile is actually looking pretty healthy considering where it was in 2022. In terms of development we must be doing something right.

Dempsey: 23 disposals, 5 score involvements. Quality contributions, especially first half.
He should be winning the Rising Star award this year.

Wells masterclass once again, the dude is on another level when it comes to late pick steals.
Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

Go Catters

What terrible management, clearly have no idea what to do with young talent!

Those 11 players were developed by their 'less traditional pathways'. Geelong reaping the benefits from the hard work of others again I'm afraid.

Above, in order, is the age of the players most frequenting the coaches votes for Geelong this season. 5 players aged 21-25, 1 veteran near the end and 2 experienced players with a few years left.

The 21-25 year olds weren't especially high draft picks (rookie and late picks, then pick 20). They must have been/are being developed at an okay level.

Geelong fans [circa 2024] remind me of the arrogant smug Blues tossers from the late 90's.

I remember being impressed by humility of many Geelong fans back when they dominated the comp around 2007, 2008, 2009. They were pretty determined not be cast as a bunch of arrogant wankas. But all that seems to have gone out the window with their most recent decade of perennial top 4 appearances (and 2022 flag) under Chris Scott.

Easily the worst and most annoying bunch of fans in the AFL.

Geelong fans [circa 2024] remind me of the arrogant smug Blues tossers from the late 90's.

I remember being impressed by humility of many Geelong fans back when they dominated the comp around 2007, 2008, 2009. They were pretty determined not be cast as a bunch of arrogant wankas. But all that seems to have gone out the window with their most recent decade of perennial top 4 appearances (and 2022 flag) under Chris Scott.

I think you'll find that 'arrogance' you speak of is almost always in retaliation to threads like these.

Very rarely do we start our own threads to pump up our clubs tyres, or just be arrogant wankas for the sake of it.

It's chicken & egg for mine. If there wasn't constant trolling, hatred, & envy from opposition supporters, you'd hardly see a Geelong supporter saying anything.

There's special cases of course, and I'm not saying those you speak of don't exist. They absolutely do, and it's the same with every club.

By and large though, it's retaliation rather than instigation.

It's chicken & egg for mine. If there wasn't constant trolling, hatred, & envy from opposition supporters, you'd hardly see a Geelong supporter saying anything.
The shit that goes on on this board is prime reason why Joel Selwood threads for 300 and 350 games were not made. Deserved the praise but low level trolling would have ruined it.

We lose a few games in 2024 and the trolling returned here.
Most would just be enjoying the good performance from younger players.

Look in your own teams mirror. Hawkthorn fans were terribly arrogant in 2007 before you even won anything. Zero humility in regards to geelongs win. Constantly trying to discredit a record breaking season and premiership win.

Then your club became the unsociable hawks playing completely outside the spirit of the game. Constant gut punching by lewis, mitchell and hodge. Tackling players after they released a handball cos it didnt warrant a down the ground free kick back then. Rushing the ball over the point line cos there was no deliberate point rule back then. But the worst was Clarkson constantly targetting an 18-19 year old selwood in games (stomped on the head, kneed in the back while on the ground, sniper elbow to the head when trying to pick up ball) and your fans loved that disgraceful behaviour.

Last edited:

Geelong lose
Hawthorn supporters (amongst other opposition supporters) bump threads like this one to dig the boots in

Geelong win, young players play well
Geelong supporters bump threads like this one poking fun at the wildly inaccurate claims

'It's fun when we do it but when we cop a little bit back it's not fun anymore!!!'

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Geelong can't develop young players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back