Review Geelong + Chris Scott make another Prelim at Ports expense

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon if you took every teen movie from the 80s and extracted images of every school bully, conceited sports rival, and evil ex-boyfriend and trained an AI image generater on them, it'd produce Shannon Neale's mugshot. Good player, and undoubtedly a terrific human being, but jeez he looks villainous.
His height/looks always reminds me of the Na'vi from the movie Avatar

Picture him with the voiceover "Neale of the Na'vi"..

Last edited:

Mannagh was unbelievable tonight. He is so strong on the ball, tackles hard, runs all night, clever unorthodox up and under loopy kicks which move fast (like reverse miers), really clever where he puts the ball, and a super strong finisher. Absolutely unbelievable a guy whose played a less than 10 games playing in a high pressure final away from home.
How good could he actually get ?
Yeah, it's bloody exciting. I remember watching his VFL highlights when he first arrived. I sent it to my brother and said: we'll see how we go but these are the most incredible pre-AFL highlights I've ever seen.

You never know how someone is going to adjust and translate their form to the next level but boy has he done well. Very impressive.

This was the video:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to admit I thought Sav did well dragging Henry away from the forward line and he did some solid marking around the ground …the problem and much like JHF is that he did nothing when he did get it
In hindsight I can barely see how they were ever going to win with that forward line. Compare the talent and depth with ours and it's a bit of a joke.

Fair game by the lads and probably our best for the year, we had run and carry and some of the kicking skills and decision making were perfect, it will make it hard for SDK to come into the side, I think he and hawk have run out of time.

People get stuck into Chris Scott about his percentage of finals wins. It's about 40%.

To win from 5-8, you have to win four games = 100%
To lose in the GF from 5-8, you've gone 3 from 4 = 75%.
From 5-8, if you bow out in the PF, you've gone 2 from 3 = 66%
From 5-8, if you bow out in the SF, you've gone 1 from 2 = 50%
From 5-8, if you bow out in the EF, you're 0 for 1 = 0%. That's the outcome for two finalists.
To win the GF from 1-4, you can either win three from three (100%) or three from four (75%)
To lose in the GF from 1-4 you're typically 2 from 3 (66%) or 2 from 4 (50%).
From 1-4 to bow out in the PF, you've either won 2 from 3 (66%) or 1 from 3 (33%)
From 1-4 to bow out in the SF, you're 0 from 2.
To lose in the GF from 5-8, you've gone 3 from 4 (75%).

EF losers = 0%
SF losers could be 50%, could be 0%
PF losers could be 66%, could be 33%
GF losers could be 75%, could be 66%
GF winner could be 100% or 75%

If a team wins through to the GF from 5-8, the losing teams that were in 1-4 will typically have a lower win percentage too.

You don't get games against WC or NM to pad your stats. If you're out early one year, you then have to win 2 or 3 to get back to near 50%.

Let's look at a team that's on the rise and fall over 6 years.
First year, eliminated at the EF. 0 from 1
Second year, finishes fourth, but goes out in straight sets. 0 from 3
Third year, finishes third and loses the GF after dropping the QF. 2 from 7. At this point only 28%. (If they won the GF, they'd have a 42% win rate, but had only gone deep into the finals in one year.)
Fourth year, finishes top, wins QF, PF and GF. 5 from 10. King of the mountain, guided the team up, and an overall win percentage of 50%.
If your fifth year reverts to a straight sets loss, all of a sudden you're 5 from 12 and you've dropped to 42%.
Year 6 finish 5-8, out in the EF. 5 from 13. 38%.

To be long term competitive in finals over a decade, and have a percentage win rate in the 40s, is a damn sight better than those teams that come out of nowhere, win a couple, get a finals win percentage of 50 or more and disappear out of the 8.

When your win rate has settled at 40% over 20 games, winning one more only boosts it by 1.5%.
One flag in 4 years, 2 grand finals, and only a 50% win rate.

What about those teams that regularly finish 5-8, and get knocked out in the EF or SF. Their coaches might have a finals win rate of only 25-30%.

I was one of those that picked our beloved cats. All week i was confident we were a chance if our midfield (much strengthened on our previous game v PA) could compete 50:50 around the stoppages. Even with the late out of Stewart.
God I love this club, our coach! As our unselfish Tommy Hawkins put up on his insta story post result #meow

Last edited:
I've been to plenty of losses too and my worst experience was actually with a Hawks fan that I invited and whose ticket i paid for
Reap, sow, etc. 😆

Well tbf Mackie deserves some praises for being the heir apparent

Think Lappin who heads up development needs some kudos. It’s all well and good to draft potential talent but you have to develop them too. He’s an unsung hero at this club.

Francis Evans, Esava and Narkle were all among Port's bottom-5 ranked players.
Ratugolea was especially disappointing, I was a big advocate of his when he was with the Cats.
Esava was a good guy to have around the club but to give him a five year deal just shows the gulf in recruiting standards between us and others.

People get stuck into Chris Scott about his percentage of finals wins. It's about 40%.
Good post but it’s actually nearly 50% now (14 wins 15 losses).

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong + Chris Scott make another Prelim at Ports expense

Remove this Banner Ad

Back