Review Geelong defeats Gold Coast by 120 points @KP

Remove this Banner Ad

but the one area we are still thin is if Smith or Stanley are injured as Vardy is the only backup for them. I wouldn't be confident in him replacing either at the moment if we had to play a final-hopefully this changes. What we need to do is rest Smith or Stanley when we play bottom 4 teams to manage them and try and prevent that happening.

Vardy clearly wasn't ready to be playing at AFL level, he really hadn't built up any decent form in the VFL post injury. I'm not going to mark this game against him if Stanley wasn't sick there would have been zero chance of him playing to this week he simply wasn't ready. In time he'll build up so form and match fitness in the 2nds and he'll be a lot better for it. IMO when he is up and about there isn't a lot in it between Stanley and him, he's a great backup to have.

Last edited:
There seem to be a fair amount of duel jubilation in this thread... its premature imo.

I will not labour on Haw in this thread their issues and the joy it gives some. I enjoy beating them far more than watching them get beaten to be honest. That game was like ours , it was a tale of two sides... Haws have been living on the edge and GWS are sickening in its potential. Its like some monster movie where you hear the music, you feel the fear rising , you anticipate a fatal outcome. While many are savouring the w&p losing there should really look that team that beat them. We love LeCock , he is the best talent we have had in some time. GWS have R1 kids , close to him in talent not getting games.

And in our game again , a duelopoly as well.

Gold Coast are injury depleted , and got injuries in the game. We did what we had to , and we more efficient than we have been. Not sure there could have been worse opposition than that in the AFL. Uncontested marks, little pressure. Dropped heads. Scars getting reopened. Enjoy the dollars GA.

For us , we continued on our build. Im slowly appreciating the more governed approach in our backline. I find it insightful that many in the media are still struggling with the way we are doing it. Listening to some radio at the ground , some more mature eyes called it messing round with it in the backline, etc.. while the comments on 7 when watching in back , drew better attention to the real tactic. Less tidal wave more a controlled steady movement of water. Its the "Canal Cats" in 2016 that we are trying to develop. The switching back from one side to another to move the zone, its getting better but still needs work , and we may still not have the perfect group of players for it. An extra Thurlow , a Duncan a real nail it type kick would make the switch quicker with depth in his kick would be ideal but we work with what we have. Watching KKolo last night look so ordinary at times, perhaps our guys will be better at it as it really becomes normal...a talent like him would almost fit nicely. Mackie at his best will add to us.

Our forwardline seems to be working well , it will continue to develop as guys like Kersten become confident in their position. Does any one think he would be playing if we had SJ? Perhaps, pehaps not. He looks happy to play his role , being ignored at times yet he doesn't carry on how SJ would if the ball didn't come his way. Menzel is still building but most acknowledge his talent.Hawkins looked good but so he should. He is at his peak of powers playing a lot of the time against a kid , in a side that was undermanned , getting flogged by a raging midfield , a midfield inspired by two of the best players in the whole comp. Harder tests for Tom to come especially in Crowburg.

I was impressed with Smith. He did all he had to do , and a bit more . Perfect no but pretty dang good. The mark he took when he moved a player side ways really showed how his confidence is building. Henderson too gave one another glimpse of why Geelong wanted him. If we finish top 4 his recruitment price will have a more reasonable look. His mobility , his hands , and like Smith is starting to be more Geelong and less about where he played. I suspect both are really happy atm with their choices.

Was really happy with how Cockatoo has (from somewhere) become fluent and confident setshot. I watched him pregame , looked like he was very focused in keeping it low and getting thru it , its working for him , and he looks dangerous. Building.

Bartel is not the old Bartel , but he is still a very good player. He has always been a player that could sense and read the moment , and he still will be important for us later in the year.Look for him when the game is on the line to spend his energy when the key moments come. Im glad to see him hit this type of form, he is a legend of our club and should approach the 300 without doubting his spot. Does he get a rest next week. I bet he will say he is fine.

The MC have a happy pain of trying to again squeeze 2 or 3 fresh faces into our best 22. Did Vardy do enough to hold his spot? Did Bews? Id say no and yes , but I dont think they select purely on one game or the last game..its where they want the side to be.

Vardy clearly wasn't ready to be playing at AFL level, he really hadn't built up any decent form in the VFL post injury. I'm not going to mark this game against him if Stanley wasn't since there would have been zero chance of him playing to this week he simply wasn't ready. In time he'll build up so form and match fitness in the 2nds and he'll be a lot better for it. IMO when he is up and about there isn't a lot in it between Stanley and him, he's a great backup to have.

I agree that Vardy clearly didn't look fit enough as yet, but
- he was our most effective ruckman after quarter time, and
- Smith is still a long way short of being fit enough to ruck a full game.
This is going to be a fine balancing act unless and until they manage to get Smith fully match fit - which may not happen this season (shades of the same problem we had with Simpson/McIntosh).

This post on the Hawks board made my night...

They're taking us thumping someone harder than getting thumped themselves. Awesome!
Wait, Echols says we're the one's that are head****ed :D

This is going to be a fine balancing act unless and until they manage to get Smith fully match fit - which may not happen this season (shades of the same problem we had with Simpson/McIntosh).

The removal of the sub rule and tightening of the cap has eliminated this problem. Most teams can afford to have a ruckmen resting on the bench of 40% of the game since there is only so many midfield rotations that are allowed to do and three spots on the bench is enough to do it in.

The removal of the sub rule and tightening of the cap has eliminated this problem. Most teams can afford to have a ruckmen resting on the bench of 40% of the game since there is only so many midfield rotations that are allowed to do and three spots on the bench is enough to do it in.

It hasn't solved the problem for us, because a ruckman on the bench = no CHF.

What did people think of Bews? I thought he seemed fine, but almost didnt notice him at the same time. Could be a good thing, or could be a bad thing against such poor opposition.

Would love him get to the stage where he and Ruggles can both line up down back this year.

Vardy is depth (and good depth to have) IMO. Smith and Stanley are clearly ahead of him in the ruck and not only is Kersten improving, but his style of play complements Hawkins more than Vardy's does - both Hawk and Vardy want to wrestle and take contested marks whereas Kersten's strengths is his leading,

What did people think of Bews? I thought he seemed fine, but almost didnt notice him at the same time. Could be a good thing, or could be a bad thing against such poor opposition.

Would love him get to the stage where he and Ruggles can both line up down back this year.

I noticed much more during the first quarter when the ball was finding its way to the GC's forward line a bit more (I sit Ablett Terrace end) - I thought he took a couple of really nice marks deep in their forward line and that he looked more comfortable and solid than what he even did in the VFL match versus the AFL Academy.

I would like to see him retain his spot for next week - if we could find a way to include both Mackie & Ruggles into the team without losing him, cause I want to see how he goes playing along side Ruggles at this level and if that would allow one to play a more attacking role, running off halfback at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It hasn't solved the problem for us, because a ruckman on the bench = no CHF.

Not really, if they wanted a traditional CHF (I know you say that Kersten isn't one) they'd play one when one of our KPF options are fit( to this point of the year they haven't been). They'd play one less small or one less Kersten. It would have nothing to do with how our bench works given that KPFs spend 90%+ of the game on the ground.

I thought Bews was very good early. To be fair he was hardly needed after 1/4 time.
Was just going to post the exact same thing.

He took a couple of intercept marks in the first, i think his ball use was fine.. the ball hardly was down there after that

Loved most was the hard running and patience we showed during the first half, when the pressure was on. Coming out of defence we were deliberate and waited for short options and worked the ball patiently forward, with players running hard to present and create an option. Hard running is always a good sign for us, they just seem to be working harder for one another. Normally we just bomb long, but we seemed to have a different focus... kudos to the players for their work and Scott and the fitness staff for their preparation! Hopefully it works against the better teams.

With all the good will being talked in these posts.....maybe some should say hi to crazycat26......
We should however put this into context.....a team plays to the level that the opposition allows. Gold Coast really did not offer much resistance. Now I will not for an instant take away anything from the game that Geelong played...it was a big improvement and the future does look good, but it will not be that easy against other teams. It was an impressive performance......

The only negative of the night for me was old mate about 5 rows back giving it the 'FREE KICK HAWTHORN' every time an umpire blew the whistle.

Was that up the Ablett Terrace end? Cause I was hearing the same thing and it was ok the first couple of times but by the end of the game it was annoying.

The other comment he was coming up with was "THE MACHINE" or "GIVE IT TO THE MACHINE" every time Dangerfield had the ball or was somewhere near the ball. With that I was hoping we would sit him on the bench for the last quarter.

And a couple of people by the end of the game did decide to start booing Ablett, but I think it was more of a joke than anything and no one else joined in with them, so they stopped pretty quickly.

I agree that Vardy clearly didn't look fit enough as yet, but
- he was our most effective ruckman after quarter time, and
- Smith is still a long way short of being fit enough to ruck a full game.
I thought Vardy was reasonable, all things considered.

Was that up the Ablett Terrace end? Cause I was hearing the same thing and it was ok the first couple of times but by the end of the game it was annoying.

Yep, Ablett Terrace end. To be fair to the bloke, at least he's vocal in his support.
Haha the booing was more jeers from what I could hear. He looked a bit disinterested last night Gaz.

Yep, Ablett Terrace end. To be fair to the bloke, at least he's vocal in his support.
Haha the booing was more jeers from what I could hear. He looked a bit disinterested last night Gaz.

Certainly doesn't look like a guy who's enjoying his football.

Must be demoralising. Went to the GC to start afresh and help a club in it's infancy, with the belief a premiership would soon be on the cards.

Years later, and they look no closer to it.

The other comment he was coming up with was "THE MACHINE" or "GIVE IT TO THE MACHINE" every time Dangerfield had the ball or was somewhere near the ball. With that I was hoping we would sit him on the bench for the last quarter.

And a couple of people by the end of the game did decide to start booing Ablett, but I think it was more of a joke than anything and no one else joined in with them, so they stopped pretty quickly.

I suspect there is always someone , somewhere in that stadium. I gave one woman behind me... sometime in the 4th screaming for Geelong to show some effort ,tackle them , tackle them , not desperate enough , KICK IT ..... Its like the crow in Game of Thrones "Kick it..kick it"

I suspect there is always someone , somewhere in that stadium. I gave one woman behind me... sometime in the 4th screaming for Geelong to show some effort ,tackle them , tackle them , not desperate enough , KICK IT ..... Its like the crow in Game of Thrones "Kick it..kick it"

I had that all game:
- Have you forgotten which way our goals are?
- It's called football for a reason
- "groans" when kicking sideways or backwards to maintain possession with nothing up forward
- "KICK IT"

While it is a little frustrating to see them kick it backwards or sideways when we just want them to stream forward at 100miles every time they get the ball, I actually really appreciate that we have made that slight change to our game plan this year where we don't just bomb it long to a contest and hope for the best, that instead we are willing to slow the game down and play a possession game until opens up ahead. That to me is a sign of maturity, and chances are a slight tweak in the game plan from Scott to acknowledge that it isn't all go go go 100% of the time, that rather looking for the best option even if that means slowing things down, and playing possession footy can be the best way to go forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong defeats Gold Coast by 120 points @KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back