GDFL Geelong & District Football League - 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

:footy: Make sure you tune in to a bumper edition of The Final Siren on 94.7, The Pulse tonight from 8-9pm. We'll speak to Leopold coach Aaron Greaves about his team's 2-0 start to the season and the prospect of more night footy, Queenscliff coach Heath Jamieson will join us to chat about his side's hammering of Barwon Heads and Geelong Falcons Regional Manager Mick Turner will be on the line to chat about the 21 Falcons players who were selected in the initial Vic Country Squad. You can join us to chat about any issues on 52225947. Don't forget to become a fan on Facebook as well!

Ive heard that Belmont have recruited a few of the Deakin University students and will not be as bad as first thought. One of the names that comes to mind in young gun Josh Koops who is a stocky midfielder that burst packs and runs the footy. Previously from somewhere in the mallee he is rumoured to be on a good pay packet. Can anyone tell me how Belmont/Koops is going?

Ive heard that Belmont have recruited a few of the Deakin University students and will not be as bad as first thought. One of the names that comes to mind in young gun Josh Koops who is a stocky midfielder that burst packs and runs the footy. Previously from somewhere in the mallee he is rumoured to be on a good pay packet. Can anyone tell me how Belmont/Koops is going?

he will want to be very good this week coming up against centrals, got to watch them on saturday played all over the tigers, some quality players going through the midfield and i understand they werent at full strength cant wait to see them play east geelong.

belmont have recruited heavily from deakin universitry... however the lions are yet to figure out the best possible team to put on the track as there are just soo many new faces... positive signs from the reserves winning by outrunning the unfiiter north geelong. the seniors will get better with time, koops is a gun recruit for them and luke harmer from somewhere up north as well as has come with big potential to be a key forward for belmont over the next few years... the 3 year plan that i heard at the start of the season and believed was a joke may actually have some credibility to it...

Can a club like Belmont afford to have a '3 year' plan when the majority of their recruits as you say have come from Deakin and will probably be gone within 3 years?

I'm a uni student myself and I can tell you that every bloke i know playing footy away from home is doing it purely for $$$.

Belmont can't expect to get loyalty from these blokes (as they have their own loyalties back home where they played juniors and are only playing down here for coin to spend on piss and rent). Sounds harsh but it's the truth.

Those boys will be a temporary pain killer for the club, not a cure.

They've got to attract locals to the club and develop their juniors (which i'm told they are doing).

I can't see them winning a game at the moment (especially considering the terrific form of Geelong West and Anakie so far).

Can a club like Belmont afford to have a '3 year' plan when the majority of their recruits as you say have come from Deakin and will probably be gone within 3 years?

I'm a uni student myself and I can tell you that every bloke i know playing footy away from home is doing it purely for $$$.

Belmont can't expect to get loyalty from these blokes (as they have their own loyalties back home where they played juniors and are only playing down here for coin to spend on piss and rent). Sounds harsh but it's the truth.

Those boys will be a temporary pain killer for the club, not a cure.

They've got to attract locals to the club and develop their juniors (which i'm told they are doing).

I can't see them winning a game at the moment (especially considering the terrific form of Geelong West and Anakie so far).

I take your point Bourkey but there are plenty of job opportunities in Geelong for graduating students. I know plenty of footballers who have come from regional Victoria to Geelong to attend uni and have stayed because a) they like Geelong and b) were able to find employment here. I think if Belmont can get things right, they will be fine in the next few years because history says a lot of players from Deakin and Marcus Oldham play for Belmont and that is the reason why the club will recover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh I agree with that. Not all of them will leave but you'd imagine the majority would and you'd expect the half decent players to soon cotton on about the GFL etc.

Is putting all your effort into say 50 kids now for say maybe a result of 1 or 2 long term commitments from guns (taking into account not all will be good/players leaving) etc. a more viable option than bringing people up through the juniors? (who'd have a much higher ratio of staying).

Not saying there's a right or wrong, just generating some discussion.

Like all things, it's all about balance and for the sake of the Belmont footy club I hope they get it right.

Also, onto this weekend.

anybody give West a chance against Thomson this Friday Night?

They are adapt to the friday conditions, much improved side against a depleted Thomson (who should get Anderton and O'Neill back). Thomson only just got over Corio round 1 and in all honesty West probably should have won last week if they'd kicked straight.

food for thought.

Oh I agree with that. Not all of them will leave but you'd imagine the majority would and you'd expect the half decent players to soon cotton on about the GFL etc.

Is putting all your effort into say 50 kids now for say maybe a result of 1 or 2 long term commitments from guns (taking into account not all will be good/players leaving) etc. a more viable option than bringing people up through the juniors? (who'd have a much higher ratio of staying).

Not saying there's a right or wrong, just generating some discussion.

Like all things, it's all about balance and for the sake of the Belmont footy club I hope they get it right.

I agree... juniors are the way to future improvement and loyalty. No doubt.

Looking at the GDFL clubs, which clubs would you say have the best junior structures? North Geelong? Bannockburn?

Yeah both those clubs have great setups for the kids. Of course they still bring in talent $ wise for the Seniors but they always seem to have a few kids in their senior sides.

Probably helps that they are in some form of "isolation" unlike Belmont, Thomson, East etc. who are all fighting over the same kids being in a very close proximity?

Thomson have brought through a great bunch lately though (MacLeod's & Hodgson)

North Geelong & Bannockburn would be my picks for the league (reflected nicely by those two making the 18's GF last year)

Corio is another GDFL side who always seems to have a fair few quality youngsters. Bell Post Hill apparently has a very handy U18's side but nothing underneath so it could be lean times ahead out there too.

Yeah both those clubs have great setups for the kids. Of course they still bring in talent $ wise for the Seniors but they always seem to have a few kids in their senior sides.

Probably helps that they are in some form of "isolation" unlike Belmont, Thomson, East etc. who are all fighting over the same kids being in a very close proximity?

Thomson have brought through a great bunch lately though (MacLeod's & Hodgson)

North Geelong & Bannockburn would be my picks for the league (reflected nicely by those two making the 18's GF last year)

Corio is another GDFL side who always seems to have a fair few quality youngsters. Bell Post Hill apparently has a very handy U18's side but nothing underneath so it could be lean times ahead out there too.

north senior side only has 6 players that didnt come through the junior ranks!! pretty good effort

north senior side only has 6 players that didnt come through the junior ranks!! pretty good effort
You find North have had a fair few players who have crossed to North Shore or vice verser at some stage. To have three quarters of your senior side coming from your juniors is an awesome effort.

and it will probably only get better too.

the under 18's they've got at the moment are exceptionally talented.

I no it's a few years ago now but corio had 20 out of 21 in it's 2002 grandfinal side that come threw there juniors or grew up in corio. I doubt any club anywhere would beable to match that. I think there under 18s will be a top three side this year and there under 16s being in div 3 things look good for there future out there.
Does anyone no a Daniel zammit he played at werribee a few years back his only 20 has put a clearance in for corio.

Tips for this week?

Mine are as follows:

Geelong West VS Thompson 2 goals

BPH VS North Geelong 8 goals

Inverleigh VS Winchelsea 4 goals

East Geelong VS Bannockburn 8 goals

Corio VS Anakie 2 goals

Belmont VS Weribee 10 goals +

I no it's a few years ago now but corio had 20 out of 21 in it's 2002 grandfinal side that come threw there juniors or grew up in corio. I doubt any club anywhere would beable to match that. I think there under 18s will be a top three side this year and there under 16s being in div 3 things look good for there future out there.
Does anyone no a Daniel zammit he played at werribee a few years back his only 20 has put a clearance in for corio.

He reminds me of a young mickey quarrion.
His cousin Andrew 'Panda' Zammit played at centrals aswell.
Panda was very quick and agile but very lean. great skills!!
the only thing lettin him down was he had a turning circle of a praying mantis
u better just hope daniel zammit is as good as andrew.

Tips for this week?

Mine are as follows:

Geelong West VS Thompson 2 goals

BPH VS North Geelong 8 goals

Inverleigh VS Winchelsea 4 goals

East Geelong VS Bannockburn 8 goals

Corio VS Anakie 2 goals

Belmont VS Weribee 10 goals +

Thomson by 22.

North by 12 in game of the round IMO.

Inva by 27.

East by 40.

Anakie by 15.

Weribee by 80 could be more if dosnt rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back