GFL Geelong Football League - 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
are the other Hollmers as good as Jack?
Well i think the elder brother Lee has been coaching Lorne the past few seasons if my memory serves me well, so would doubt if he would join Lara if that was the case?? And younger brother Lewis played with the Falcons last year, a ruckman or KPP, was struck down with some injuries but would think both would be handy pick ups if true... prob not as good as Jack but can defiantly play

Jimmy Allan is not the answer to the cats problem. He is a glorified midfielder who needs players around to protect him from taggers. At local level he will struggle with no protection and people will be surprised how little impact he will have on the competition

Is this the same Jimmy Allan that won a Magarey in 2007 and was runner-up in 2009? The same glorified midfielder who amassed 80 more possessions than any other player in the SANFL this year?

Ok...question for all..How do the lower teams compete with the big 5 in the GFL?
I can't see any of the top 5 being dislodged...is it money?

lewis is a reasonable size who cant mark and is a very ordinary kick but alas he is from lorne and surfs so he was turners love child so played falcons this year as under 19 player trust me he is no good
no offence, richo, but generally the falcons have made pretty good decisions. of course they sometimes get a few wrong, but their record in the draft is top 5 in the country, i think.

Jimmy Allan is not the answer to the cats problem. He is a glorified midfielder who needs players around to protect him from taggers. At local level he will struggle with no protection and people will be surprised how little impact he will have on the competition

You clearly have some sort of personal issues with Jimmy, because thats a ridiculous comment. To say that a Magarey Medal winner and runner up in another year wouldnt have much impact on the GFL is laughable. And considering he had a huge impact when he did play a couple of GFL games (including finals) as a 16 year old i would think he would handle himself ok now...:rolleyes:

Well i think the elder brother Lee has been coaching Lorne the past few seasons if my memory serves me well, so would doubt if he would join Lara if that was the case?? And younger brother Lewis played with the Falcons last year, a ruckman or KPP, was struck down with some injuries but would think both would be handy pick ups if true... prob not as good as Jack but can defiantly play

lee stood aside from coaching and is looking to play higher standard footy at mid 20's probably in his peak was a stand out ruckman in cdfl for past 5 years.

Some pretty good big'tap' ruckmen in the GFL...but some of those guys struggle to take a mark....so if he can mark...could be useful..

lee stood aside from coaching and is looking to play higher standard footy at mid 20's probably in his peak was a stand out ruckman in cdfl for past 5 years.
from what I have been told lee is only a medium size ruckman (about 190cm) and based on this you might think he would struggle against the big GFL rucks. The younger brother is taller and was 1st ruck for the falcons so may be a better proposition. Been told neither are strong overhead.

no offence, richo, but generally the falcons have made pretty good decisions. of course they sometimes get a few wrong, but their record in the draft is top 5 in the country, i think.
true,falcons record for players drafted is exceptional but never underestimate the pool they have to pick from.what turner does well is sell players to clubs better than anyone. the downside of this is you get players like kangars,williams,o'keefe,o'keefe,curnow,hardy and so on that just aren't up to it.as for their squad ,size and shape matter as much as ability.the result is lots of tall lanky kids get in but cant play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from what I have been told lee is only a medium size ruckman (about 190cm) and based on this you might think he would struggle against the big GFL rucks. The younger brother is taller and was 1st ruck for the falcons so may be a better proposition. Been told neither are strong overhead.

Lee would get smashed if he was to play GFL. Very true that he is no good over head. Has a big engone and can run all day but I think he would be found out very quickly in the GFL.
The step-up from CDFL to GFL is quite alot.

For example last year Tyson Holt, who dominated CDFL for years for Apollo Bay, crossed to Torquay. He struggled quiet a bit to find the footy and after about 6 weeks pulled the pin to return back to Apollo Bay. And everyone knows that the GFL is a class above the BFL so there you go.

benny's best mate told me about the falling out! and i was hanging out with him last night and he said that ben has'nt signed anything yet. I know that benny was pretty close to going to bell park when he came from werribee, and he has a couple of really good mates there to.

Didn't check the other pages after this post but can confirm that Ben Lavars re-signed with St. Mary's a few weeks ago and he was instrumental in getting Hebbard to the club as well. Was never going to leave.

Yeah I heard that Lavars was one of the key factors of Hebbard signing with St marys...heard he may be a bit slow for GFL...otherwise he's a pretty solid player..
St Marys spending the dollars again.

Ok...question for all..How do the lower teams compete with the big 5 in the GFL?
I can't see any of the top 5 being dislodged...is it money?

It is difficult for teams to climb the ladder when the same top teams consistently recruit quality players for big money. Although the salary cap was abused when it was in place, perhaps it is time to re-visit a cap or adopt a points system similar to that used in a number of VCFL comps.

true,falcons record for players drafted is exceptional but never underestimate the pool they have to pick from.what turner does well is sell players to clubs better than anyone. the downside of this is you get players like kangars,williams,o'keefe,o'keefe,curnow,hardy and so on that just aren't up to it.as for their squad ,size and shape matter as much as ability.the result is lots of tall lanky kids get in but cant play
i agree that some of the players drafted are not up to it, but that is up to the recruiters. i think turner has a job to sell his players, but not his decision, in the end. the trend for tall, athletic players may be coming to an end, and footballers are being looked at more

by the look of the guy on the front page of the paper, leopold havent been training too hard. looks like he has been in a good paddock

Haha go longer....I've heard he enjoys a beer..it shows.....part of Leopolds impressive recruiting campaign..

Heard today that james Colbert returning to Grovey from Camperdown as an assistant coach....this true?..Nice pick up if it is.

Heard today that james Colbert returning to Grovey from Camperdown as an assistant coach....this true?..Nice pick up if it is.

Definetly returned, not sure about assistant coach but it wouldn't suprise me as he would of left Camperdown to come back into some sort of leadership role.

And on the bloke in the front paper, its gfl footy and im sure there are a few flubber guts running around at this time of year.

Definetly returned, not sure about assistant coach but it wouldn't suprise me as he would of left Camperdown to come back into some sort of leadership role.

And on the bloke in the front paper, its gfl footy and im sure there are a few flubber guts running around at this time of year.
only gfl? if thats the attitude you should stick to the gdfl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back