Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney dominance - is there a problem?

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon the biggest challenge of FA has been keeping players. Its not talked about enough. That's the only argument I can mount that Hawthorn has done well out of it i.e. players do not want to LEAVE due to premiership success and some at Hawthorn are getting paid peanuts compared to others because of it. Still - hard to bag out a team for fighting against FA so well

I'd paraphrase it as damned good man management, the Hawks are doing it, the Cats are doing it, simply not overpaying their players. Contrast that with the role of the Bulldogs chairman in trading Griffin & Boyd, its there for all to see for any club outside the cycle of success.

I reckon the biggest challenge of FA has been keeping players. Its not talked about enough. That's the only argument I can mount that Hawthorn has done well out of it i.e. players do not want to LEAVE due to premiership success and some at Hawthorn are getting paid peanuts compared to others because of it. Still - hard to bag out a team for fighting against FA so well

Thats true, and the existence of free agency has freed up movement generally, its better for players who want to move

Any club that depends of morally corupt income sources is running the gauntlet. There's also ineptutude on ridiculous scales and horrendous management (Blues, Dons, Lions, Dees, Roos). The 3 mentioned teams make profits and grow their membership base each season. They've done it mostly through astute management, smart and sustainable decisions, not relying on gambling advertising or pokies revenue.

Just look at how much money Hawthorn brings in every year from Tasmania.

Any club that depends of morally corupt income sources is running the gauntlet. There's also ineptutude on ridiculous scales and horrendous management (Blues, Dons, Lions, Dees, Roos). The 3 mentioned teams make profits and grow their membership base each season. They've done it mostly through astute management, smart and sustainable decisions, not relying on gambling advertising or pokies revenue.

Tasmania is a very lucrative sponsorship
The ineptitude and horrendous management included South Melbourne until it was bailed out by the AFL

What are morally corrupt income sources?

Tasmania is a very lucrative sponsorship
The ineptitude and horrendous management included South Melbourne until it was bailed out by the AFL
Cannot disagree there, but under the stewardship of the last 2 boards and presidents in the last 20 years, they've totally turned the club around just like Kennett's board did. Hawthorn make a healthy profit whereas the Swans are making small profits, have very small debts and are going gang busters in membership growth.

Australia has a habit of finding reasons to bring successful people/companies down.
They are successful because they are good at what they do.
Because for every five good examples there is a gina Reinhardt who inherits a massive advantage. The swans with cola and access to some of the best talent in the system through academies is the gina.

Geez the Hawks/Cats/Swans fans are defensive. We get it, your clubs are well-run, the others aren't.

The point is not to bring the Hawks/Cats/Swans down, it is to bring the other teams up quicker, making rebuilding a 3-4 year process rather than a 6-7 year process. Part of the problem happens when a team keeps finishing in the middle of the ladder (think Tigers, Roos, Port) and aren't winning flags but also aren't getting top end talent.

What we need to do is for teams who have missed the finals for 3 consecutive years they should get an extra pick, can be after the 1st round. Better than nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez the Hawks/Cats/Swans fans are defensive. We get it, your clubs are well-run, the others aren't.

The point is not to bring the Hawks/Cats/Swans down, it is to bring the other teams up quicker, making rebuilding a 3-4 year process rather than a 6-7 year process. Part of the problem happens when a team keeps finishing in the middle of the ladder (think Tigers, Roos, Port) and aren't winning flags but also aren't getting top end talent.

What we need to do is for teams who have missed the finals for 3 consecutive years they should get an extra pick, can be after the 1st round. Better than nothing.
But maybe the AFL rebuilding process is intrinsically a 6-7 year process as you say - (AFL start ups excepted of course) and should not be handed out.

Its bloody hard work to get it right and sometimes its more than the right picks and hard work. Its timing/luck as well.

Im not suggesting that cellar dwellers can't get assistance at times - but 3-4 years to rebuild is the quick side.

Make it hard - make it a long run. You'll enjoy the results more.

44 years.

Enough said.

Go Catters

Is there a problem...?

maybe...

Id suggest not for say.. Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn...

GO Catters
2023 was just the second time since 2002 where none of Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney made the preliminary finals - the other time being 2018.
I won't be surprised when one of them makes the preliminary finals next year.

2023 was just the second time since 2002 where none of Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney made the preliminary finals - the other time being 2018.
I won't be surprised when one of them makes the preliminary finals next year.
What we have in the AFL is dilution of player pool! Too many teams , 18!!!! and another coming and talk of a third in WA, yes true, heard several months ago hopefully a load, of you know what!

Now nominating three clubs that dominate for 15 or more years, they had to work for it, BUT, what the AFL has created is the also rans, or the SECOND DIVISION , we now have 2 divisions like the VFA used to be.

Some clubs will take decades to make a gf let alone win one, and we have had a couple who took decades to win flags like Melbourne and like Footscray and poor old St Kilda 1966, 57 years ago,
Even Sydney who won 2005 and 2012, they played in two or three more GF's from 2012 to 2022 losing but, they waited as South Melbourne for many decades for a Swan premiership, if you don't believe in lop-sidedness, look at the Eagles history, took 4 or so years to win a flag, so my point strong or weak is we have teams that'll never make the big dance , or let alone win one.

Rebuilds and luck and manipulation from what I call a flawed AFL system of rules and fiddling to change the game.

Cellar dwellers will be down where the wines are laid for decades!

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney dominance - is there a problem?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back