MRP / Trib. Geelong MRO & Tribunal decisions 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like a good option to have a thread dedicated to MRO/Tribunal decisions against Geelong during this season - we often end up chatting about what's happening, so having that in one place seems to make sense

Last night we we received our first report for season 2023

With news coming through today that we'll challenge Rohan's suspension

Rohan to get off and the Hawks player to get an extra week.
Seriously though, how Meek only copped a fine for an incident that was worse then the two tackles baffles me.

Absolutely hilarious watching the Haforn and Richmond nuff nuffs scrambling around for reasons that it was Blicavs's fault. They're a delusional mob.

Anything said regarding Hawks’ Ruckman kneeing our Rucks in the guts, three times?
Hawks fans screeching about blitz blocking , but fail to understand that that ruckman can only have his knee up in a jump which they both weren’t in

Also laughable to claim that Blitz was charging at him when he was at walking pace towards the ball which was flying over Meeks head

Hawks fans screeching about blitz blocking , but fail to understand that that ruckman can only have his knee up in a jump which they both weren’t in

Also laughable to claim that Blitz was charging at him when he was at walking pace towards the ball which was flying over Meeks head

Strong "It's your fault for making me hit you" energy from that crowd.
“Meek was also cited, with the incident with Blicavs graded as careless and medium impact to the body, which is a $3000 fine, which can be reduced to $2000 with an early plea.
Blicavs received a free kick for the incident, which left him crumpled on his haunches in the middle of the MCG for more than a minute.”
MATCH REVIEW: Hawk, Cat banned for slings, Meek free to play

“Meek was also cited, with the incident with Blicavs graded as careless and medium impact to the body, which is a $3000 fine, which can be reduced to $2000 with an early plea.
Blicavs received a free kick for the incident, which left him crumpled on his haunches in the middle of the MCG for more than a minute.”
I didn't think Blitz did get a free kick. That's partly why Scott was so angry about it, after the umpires sent a memo saying you couldn't do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't think Blitz did get a free kick. That's partly why Scott was so angry about it, after the umpires sent a memo saying you couldn't do it.
There was a free kick given. So either it was for this or for something else at the exact same time. Danger (I think) scooped up the ball and they called advantage. I've seen this no free given quoted a few different places, including Scott, but I don't think it's right.

If it was graded as it should have been, intentional and high impact, he would, and should be spending a few weeks on the sidelines.

Also depends what the individual cases were. If you're stupid enough to lash out it's not a giant conspiracy if you get suspended.

Rohan's was garbage but they're obsessed with suspending anything approaching that now.

Which is understandable to an extent, given the focus on concessions and their effects, but blows to the body can be just as dangerous, as Tom Lonergan and John Newman would attest to, yet driving your knee into someone's guts seems trivial going by the verdict handed out to Meek.

If it was graded as it should have been, intentional and high impact, he would, and should be spending a few weeks on the sidelines.

Which is understandable to an extent, given the focus on concessions and their effects, but blows to the body can be just as dangerous, as Tom Lonergan and John Newman would attest to, yet driving your knee into someone's guts seems trivial going by the verdict handed out to Meek.

Who was the last player reported for an in-play action and that it was classed as intentional rather than careless?

They very very reluctantly classify anything as intentional

Just look at Adelaide youngster Jake Soligo who literally punched the goal umpire in celebration, and yet the action was classed as, "unreasonable or unnecessary contact with an umpire" and was only fined, when there was the option to instead call it what it was, "intentional contact with an umpire" and send him to the tribunal, even if it only ends as a fine that way

Who was the last player reported for an in-play action and that it was classed as intentional rather than careless?

They very very reluctantly classify anything as intentional

Just look at Adelaide youngster Jake Soligo who literally punched the goal umpire in celebration, and yet the action was classed as, "unreasonable or unnecessary contact with an umpire" and was only fined, when there was the option to instead call it what it was, "intentional contact with an umpire" and send him to the tribunal, even if it only ends as a fine that way

Yeah I know there have been a few (very few) but can't recall the last one at the moment.
Not sure why they are so reluctant to do so, possibly the difficulty of proving intent if challenged, whereas careless or reckless are more open to interpretation.

At my local primary school the grade 5/6 sign ups for winter sports last week-
soccer 40 kids put their name down. AFL= 27 kids.
Its a World Cup year, so that’s a factor, as a few things are, but I’ve no doubt that the head injuries in AFL are putting parents off.
As far as I’m concerned, anything that protects the head and discourages careless tackles, elbows, knees- all worthy of time off. I don’t care if the ‘tough guys’ who follow footy think it makes the game ‘weaker’ - it’s the toughest game there is by miles, and anyone who plays it impresses me.
But the concussions are of real concern, and that’s the priority for me.

Yeah I know there have been a few (very few) but can't recall the last one at the moment.
Not sure why they are so reluctant to do so, possibly the difficulty of proving intent if challenged, whereas careless or reckless are more open to interpretation.

And they got rid of reckless grading to apparently streamline things or make it easier or some crap

Reckless really needs to be used for actions that more intentional but where they don't want to clarify it as intentional

And they got rid of reckless grading to apparently streamline things or make it easier or some crap

Reckless really needs to be used for actions that more intentional but where they don't want to clarify it as intentional

Not a fan of the grading system at all.

It gets confusing and bring lawyers into play at the tribunal turning descriptions & definitions into a confusing word salad to get players off on a technicality.

Hand out a penalty, none of this grading bs, and if you don’t like it appeal it.

The Meek incident wasn’t new. Mason Cox has been doing it for a long time. It’s weak.
De Koning put a guy out of the game, and the following week, and that should of been the turning point. But because he gets off on a technicality over the grading it’s back on again.

Suits away, we're not going anymore.

The Geelong Football Club has advised the AFL it has accepted the sanction against Gary Rohan as set out by the Match Review Officer and discontinued proceedings with the Tribunal hearing scheduled for Thursday afternoon.

Rohan will now miss Geelong’s match against West Coast Eagles on Sunday at Adelaide Oval.

Geelong General Manager of Football Simon Lloyd said, “With a Monday game and the short timeline between being notified of the MRO’s charges and the deadline to make a decision, the Club has decided to accept the sanction following further legal consultation throughout Wednesday and again on Thursday morning.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back