Geelong rorting the system

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure they paid full price for Danger and Cameron, both of whom would have been well paid when younger and wanted a shot at team success.
Not quite.

Dangerfield was p9, p28 and a young player for p50 back IIRC, and definitely accepted 'unders' for coming to Geelong.

JC was given a fat contract (under the belief that GWS couldn't afford to match it within the cap), but the trade itself was p13, 15 and 20, for two future seconds.

The kicker on both of those deals is that both players had career best years after coming to Geelong. Dangerfield in 2015 was good, very very good, but not quite a megastar yet, like he became in 2016-17.

Not quite.

Dangerfield was p9, p28 and a young player for p50 back IIRC, and definitely accepted 'unders' for coming to Geelong.

JC was given a fat contract (under the belief that GWS couldn't afford to match it within the cap), but the trade itself was p13, 15 and 20, for two future seconds.

The kicker on both of those deals is that both players had career best years after coming to Geelong. Dangerfield in 2015 was good, very very good, but not quite a megastar yet, like he became in 2016-17.

Dangerfield yes, Cameron it's line ball. He kicked 76 goals for GWS in 2019.

Look, there's no question there's outside the cap payments. But they're legal if they're not instigated by the club (Stupid Trigg putting it into Tippett's contract and getting Balfours on board)

But if all clubs were offering me the exact same contract, and had the exact same facilities, and had the exact same relationships with me as each other.

Geelong would be in my top 5 every time.

Now, I'd probably cut Port out of those 5, because **** Port.

But Adelaide, Geelong, Gold Coast, Port Adelaide and Tasmania would offer me a lifestyle which I would enjoy a whole lot more than the other 15 clubs could.
**** the oversized metropolises of Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne and the poorly designed city of Perth.

I keep hearing stuff about the farms being a big motivator. To be honest I think it's more the lifestyle geelong offers. Who wouldn't want to live the easy going country lifestyle only being 1 hr from town.
Whats laughable is 30 years ago you couldnt even fill a brown paper bag high enough to get a player down there let alone through a legit pathway.

Whats changed is the geographics have flipped.

Melbourne used to be thr destination lifestyle with moderate traffic, affordability with a home and backyard, 30 minute drive to work..

Whild geelong was a run down dump of a country town with little to no vibrancy or living benefits...

Now, it is sitting in traffic for 1.5 hrs in peak times to move 30km. A small brick home with hardly a backyard is 1m++ for price.

Geelong is now a place you can buy a decent home with a backyard, little to moderate trafic, has grown exponentially so now offers vibrancy in town with shopping dining etc... While having the edge of still offering that coastal/farm lifestyle it gas always had its edge with.

Its demographic.. Much like queensland is now appealing to the younger generation allowing brisbane to recruit well and become a destination which it wasnt in prior years.

These things change with the years.

There are genuinely people out there who think that the club is providing under the table house and land packages

I mean really

Noone is saying its the club. Its the coterie. Every club has them. Some do far more than others.

Its the worst kept secret in the AFL. And the AFL doesnt want to hear about it because it would be a struggle to investigate 800 players a year and they like the easy money.

Noone is saying its the club. Its the coterie. Every club has them. Some do far more than others.

Its the worst kept secret in the AFL. And the AFL doesnt want to hear about it because it would be a struggle to investigate 800 players a year and they like the easy money.
Is it genuinely a thing, or is it just a whole bunch of bored BigFooty and Reddit nuffnuffs?

Surely if it is actually an open secret, then another club would go to the media and actually blow the whistle, given Geelong's sustained success.

Sure

It's laughable and an easy excuse to explain Geelong's continued run of being up there

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong rorting the system

Remove this Banner Ad

Back