Geelong rorting the system

Remove this Banner Ad

Does it matter?
Nike are also a much, much, much bigger company, and would have deals with players, advertising deals and ambassadorial roles etc. Sydney eyes one of them: Nike helps it along. What’s the difference.
Nike sponsor hundreds if not thousands of sportspeople and teams- cotton on sponsor what one? A business sponsors and pays a player from another club, while he is playing for said other club and guess what he leaves and goes to club who effectively have already been paying him ha ha- seems legit. Anyway I don’t give a enough shits to continue this discussion- just funny Geelong supporters can be so blinded - they kinda like their coach some weird thing about be so much more high and mighty than everyone else, funny really.

Uncontracted 26yo Liam Baker gets Richmond a pick that will end up around 16.

Ucontracted 24yo Bailey Smith gets Bulldogs a pick that will end up around 20 with a tiny rd 2 upgrade, maybe making the whole transaction worth about pick 19.

If Geelong paid a fair price for him, and there wasn't the spectre of Cotton On making payments to Smith on Geelong's behalf, then no problem. But neither of those conditions have been met. So we can understand why Bulldogs would be annoyed and why the rest of the competition is looking on saying wtf is happening here, this is a bit of a game changer.
I think this says much, much more about West Coast than Geelong

No, then he would have moved for nothing.
OK, point I was making is that Smith was neither an unrestricted nor a restricted free agent, so either a trade had to be done or he walked into the Draft. You cannot compare that scenario with Baker as different rules applied

OK, point I was making is that Smith was neither an unrestricted nor a restricted free agent, so either a trade had to be done or he walked into the Draft. You cannot compare that scenario with Baker as different rules applied
How?

Baker was not a free agent. Baker was out of contract. So he would have walked to the draft if a trade couldn't be done.

It brings to mind the Secret Herbs and Spices for compo: what exactly is the AFL's criteria for this shit?

It would be far easier to just have a blanket rule: no new payments from sponsors to players or other members of their household, barring pre-existing arrangements prior to recruitment, or full-time jobs.

No 'brand ambassador' bullshit. No throwing money at your wife to plug shit on Instagram.
Yep, or just include it in the soft cap if it comes from a former sponsor, current sponsor or future sponsor.

Adam Simpson owns 2 Hungry Jacks stores, do you recon he got some good deals on those at the time?

Yep, or just include it in the soft cap if it comes from a former sponsor, current sponsor or future sponsor.

Adam Simpson owns 2 Hungry Jacks stores, do you recon he got some good deals on those at the time?
How do you know who your future sponsor is?

Also if you're getting player sponsorships in the cap you're basically banning them. I'll let you pitch that to the AFLPA

What a coincidence ;)

And I really don't like it when it's a senior coach or player. It's not like they are sacrificing income like a new assistant or a Cat B rookie.
Yep,
The other solution is to make everything public once you hit a certain threshold, say 500k. Everything going to an individual that is in a salary cap or soft cap above 500k combined is public. Dodgy deals could be seen as not in the cap, therefore lead to scrutiny.

Also if you're getting player sponsorships in the cap you're basically banning them. I'll let you pitch that to the AFLPA
Have 3-5 year rule and put the old deal into the current year’s cap. It would make it a lot harder to rort.

Maybe exclude sponsors who are sports sponsors or promotional in nature & the players are doing the work in photo shoots etc. eg. Nike

It’s the ones like a Finance company which seem a huge stretch.

Well, you could time-limit it so that if, say, Rebel Sport comes on as a sponsor, they need to have a cooling off period of x months from any prior payments to players.

And yes, of course player sponsorships from club sponsors should be considered in the cap, regardless of what the AFLPA thinks. Otherwise you're opening yourself up to situations where player X comes to club Y for $800k under the cap, and also a lovely sponsorship from sponsor Z, which is contingent on you signing for that club.

What experience does Chris Scott have in finance? Were there any other candidates for the job? Was the position advertised?

Also, in what ways specifically are Geelong a really well run club?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

"Job", come on that's a bit rich. Just look at the title, "Chief of Leadership and Performance". Pretty obvious it's a made up title which has zero to do with finance.

At most he probably does a few Zoom meetings and gives some "motivational talks" and shows up for the odd function. It's a good thing that in both situations people would have name tags as otherwise he wouldn't know these "co-workers" from a bar of soap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This sounds great. Even though I complain often about the burden of my current gig, I'm going to prepare for my next job by taking up a c-suite title role for my future employer whilst staying at my existing workplace for another couple of years.
I hope your current Boss understands and gives you enough spare time to have a 2nd job. You are going have to tell them about it since nearly every employment contract has it as a condition & they can say no too.

I hope your current Boss understands and gives you enough spare time to have a 2nd job. You are going have to tell them about it since nearly every employment contract has it as a condition & they can say no too.
If anyone were to question this, they'd just be a jealous hater of my non-traditional sponsorship model extra salary very legitimate preparation gig.

1729725625386.png

Smith was out of contract, and before he did his ACL was clearly told he would not be getting the amount of inside mid time he wanted. Then after recovering from his ACL he was told he would not be selected. Who can be surprised he wanted out, and who can be surprised Geelong was interested in the talented midfielder?
I have a strong suspicion that the bolded is a guess at best, or even possibly made up.

Did the Bulldogs ostracize Smith, or did Smith ostracize himself from the Bulldogs? I personally think the plan had been in place for a considerable amount of time. The Cats can be very patient, and it pays off for them.

How the dodgy deal works we will never know.

If anyone were to question this, they'd just be a jealous hater of my non-traditional sponsorship model extra salary very legitimate preparation gig.

View attachment 2150751

'transcended the traditional sponsorship model' - doesn't sound like rorting at all.

Next question.

All those lawyers and they all forgot to talk about the charge. Im sure that happened.

Not one of them got sacked either. For something apparently grossly negligent.
Are you saying that the AFL got the tribunal to make a error in their case against Cripps, so the lawyers would get involved and drag the case out and so he could play the last two rounds. They must have also known that he would get 3 votes in the last game of the year to win the Brownlow by 1 vote?

Nostradamus or what!!!

How?

Baker was not a free agent. Baker was out of contract. So he would have walked to the draft if a trade couldn't be done.
My bad. I misread an article that referred to Jack Graham and Baker

Are you saying that the AFL got the tribunal to make a error in their case against Cripps, so the lawyers would get involved and drag the case out and so he could play the last two rounds. They must have also known that he would get 3 votes in the last game of the year to win the Brownlow by 1 vote?

Nostradamus or what!!!

They knew he was going to win the Brownlow. They also knew that he couldnt get away with it being a fine only - it was far too serious for that. The only way Cripps got away with it was if they screwed up the Tribunal.

They knew he was going to win the Brownlow. They also knew that he couldnt get away with it being a fine only - it was far too serious for that. The only way Cripps got away with it was if they screwed up the Tribunal.
Once again.....you are saying that the AFL made a deliberate error in their tribunal judgement knowing that the lawyers could get him off.

They did this because they could see in to the future and knew that Cripps who was behind going into the final round of the season was going to get 3 votes in the last game of the year to win by 1 vote?

Once again.....you are saying that the AFL made a deliberate error in their tribunal judgement knowing that the lawyers could get him off.

They did this because they could see in to the future and knew that Cripps who was behind going into the final round of the season was going to get 3 votes in the last game of the year to win by 1 vote?

How many punishments were handed out to the MRP group, the lawyers and Tribunal group, and everyone else involved in the process?

None. They got the result they wanted. Its not how it ended either, its the results at the time of the report. He was ahead at that time, wasnt he?

And why did the AFL not contest this finding? They had the power to if they wanted.

Last edited:
How many punishments were handed out to the MRP group, the lawyers and Tribunal group, and everyone else involved in the process?

None. They got the result they wanted. Its not how it ended either, its the results at the time of the report. He was ahead at that time, wasnt he?
Cripps was leading at rd 20.

Incident agaisnt brisbane happened in rd 21. If it's true like you are saying, that the AFL knew who was leading the Brownlow at the time, you would have known that Lachie Neale got the 3 votes in rd 21. So the AFL so would have known Neale was in front at the time Cripps got handed his suspension.

Cripps was leading at rd 20.

Incident agaisnt brisbane happened in rd 21. If it's true like you are saying, that the AFL knew who was leading the Brownlow at the time, you would have known that Lachie Neale got the 3 votes in rd 21. So the AFL so would have known Neale was in front at the time Cripps got handed his suspension.

I just edited my post so you may not have seen it.

"And why did the AFL not contest this finding? They had the power to if they wanted."

They let him get away with it because they wanted him to get away with it.

No-one will remember the circumstances surrounding this in a few years. But we still talk about Corey McKernan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong rorting the system

Remove this Banner Ad

Back