Autopsy Geelong smashed by Demons in PF and its gonna be a long summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta give it to the Dees - Viney is a sh*t stain and Fritzel has a very punchable head, but other than that they're a very watchable side. Class everywhere.
Agreed they are a pretty likeable team, Oliver's constant throws are annoying though. Must admit did like the karma in May playing for a free then hurting his hammy

Few stats to ponder.

3rd biggest loss since 2007 at 83 points.
Our biggest ever Prelim loss.
Our biggest loss to Melbourne.
Our 2nd biggest finals loss.

Not a great night.

The game plan is an attempt to cover the lack of personnel. It doesn't work in finals. The club has made some huge missteps with our recruiting and development. The hurricane we've been ignoring is now hitting the shoreline.
Perfect metaphor. The levees are well and truly breached. The question is whether those in charge can accept that reality

Who else got extremely annoyed and wanted to put their fist through a wall every time a Melbourne player hand passed backwards over their head to a team mate with the length of the Flemington straight in front of them. Sorry to say fellas but things are going to get A LOT worse... This team is done, finished, cooked. The coach and his crew need to visit the exit door and never come back. The boys club they created needs to get annihilated. I'm not sure how much we are paying Jeremy Cameron but he may as well be in a wheel chair - are we really paying a bloke millions who can hardly move or bend over? I don't THINK we will turn into Carlton because our home ground advantage is so great but make no mistake we will be lucky to not be bottom 4 next year. Expect a few retirements/delistings to follow. The handbagger days are back on the horizon my friends - chasing 35 year old has beens has finally caught up.

So many holes in this team now. Need mids of course but it doesn’t end there. Small defenders, De Koning hopefully takes Henderson’s spot, a quality ruck, small forwards, etc etc etc etc

It was always going to be a mountain to climb, we tried to put it off by plugging holes. But it didn’t work in the end.

What a monster task we face to rebuild the list.

Sure, but I'm not all that excited by the myth that they are some bunch of young down at heel scrappers who gave worked their way to the top. Put Gawn and Oliver in our team and we annihilate most opposition.
They've used the systems available to them the same way we did to build our side in 2007-11. That side didn't have very high draft picks, but it had some reasonably high ones and we got tremendous value out of the old F/S system. Every premiership side has acquired top-end talent through the draft one way or another.

The only things about Melbourne are the whole tanking debate (although that was more from a bygone era) and then the AFL basically giving them the coach that would instill what they needed to eventually get here.

If Melbourne are anything, it's a lesson that talent alone, particularly young talent, is far from being enough. Particularly coming from the bottom you need really strong leadership and the know-how to build a successful club culture. It's something Carlton are scrambling to do and the AFL for Gold Coast right now.

What would you do with the older players? Like it or not we can’t keep them all. Time to retire or ship a few off.
Holding pattern until the end of next year. They'll be waiting until they can get 1m+ from Joel and Hawkins contracts and chase a FA.
Henderson out. Blicavs on the wing. Kreuger isn't good enough imo so SDK, Henry, Kolo 3 talls down back. Or Blicavs FB and SDK in the ruck and tap Stanley on the shoulder.

Higgins VFL. Dahlhaus the same if his contract isn't up. Jenkins delisted.
Smith in. He at least runs all day.

Stephens, Holmes, Simpson play when fit. Clark given the rocket up the arse. 2022 is your chance.
Dangerous small forward is a need as well.

So many options, pick some but not all.

You know we were leading in a Grand Final at half time less than a year ago right?
I’m so sick of hearing this. Who honestly cares? Are we going to be saying in 20 years time “ohh but we were leading halfway through the GF in 2020”??
It doesn’t matter. It counts for zero.

The worst thing is nothing will change. The club will do nothing and we will play next year probably win 14-16 matches with older players then get belted in finals.

I don't think it's the age that matters. We used to say before Hawthorn games, we value how you play in the big games, they're the ones that matter. Well doesn't seem like it...

Don't need to name names you know who they are

And there it is people, that's the cliff. Complete disparity in energy, game style and skill. Reminded me a hell of a lot of us vs Port in 2007 - youth and spirit vs an aging past it team that just couldn't go with them and their new game style.

As far as I'm concerned, Scott is done. He's had a decade, he's probably over-achieved with a lot of the crap that we've had compared to all the high draft picks for a team like Melbourne. Need to transition to the next era. Whether that means Scott coaches next year, or there's a transition of sorts with an assistant coach, the transition needs to happen now.

Henderson to retire, along with Dahlhaus and possibly a few others. Selwood should retire if I'm honest, shouldn't have gone on another year. Hopefully plays a Hodge role at half back next year, but the next wave needs to come through.

Going to take us a good 5-7 years to get back to proper contention after all this, at which point Cameron will have finished, and we'll have wasted those picks. Was a gamble, and we failed. Higgins should retire, but we're too stubborn to do that.

I was speechless for a lot of that game, and now that it's all said and done - I'm resigned to everything bad that's about to come.

Congrats to the Dees on a remarkable season, but we should have accepted the end last year and not gone again. Only saving grace is, that the picks we gave up for Cameron weren't exactly 'high pick' territory, and we get a couple back.

Real 2007 vibes to this for the Dees, and I'm on their bandwagon in a fortnight. It's been a great era Geelong, but it's time to start a new era with new faces, and a new brand.

Thanks for everything boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you come on after an effort like that and preach moderation I question whether you care enough. Should be baying for blood. But each to his/her own.
Grow up I don’t need to have a tantrum to show I care about the club
After the last 10 years it has all been said enough already

attacking me not going to change anything

As shattered and hurt as tonight was. Looking fwd to what happens next. Who gets right of way! Me personally..Ty Scotty, you need a new group. Bold in Scarlo and bring bk SJ, I don't think Boris is a career coach.
We need a physical hard edge back

Jeremy Cameron wanting to come to Geelong could actually end up being a bad thing, could’ve drafted 3 quality youngsters, instead we loaded up for the now and are much further from a flag now than we were in the 2020 GF, we haven’t improved, gone backwards big time.

Biggest loss in a long time..

Sydney up there..? Can’t think of many others since early 2000s

Club needs to use its balls if it has any and sack Scott or force him to resign ASAP! Because we can't keep doing the some shit year after year that gets us nowhere. Melbourne showed us tonight that rebuilds done right is the way to go! Sure it's hit or miss with draft picks but its better to take that chance than toping up like we've been doing just to play finals. We've done it before and it won us Premierships, time to reassess and go back to the rebuild model. Short term pain for long term gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back