Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who are the GOATS?

• Selwood

Votes: 92 44.2%
  • Dusty

Votes: 121 58.2%
  • Hawkins

Votes: 73 35.1%
  • J. Riewoldt

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • C.Scott

Votes: 63 30.3%
  • Hardwick

Votes: 58 27.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the interests of keeping your back and forth shite fights out of match threads so normal people can talk.

Keep it clean and above the shorts
Off topic rubbish clogging up match threads will be moved here, knock yourselves out.

homero-pelea-simpsons.gif

Last edited:
Tigers will be cellar dwellers for the foreseeable future. Bookmark it.

Who would I rather support? A team that is a perennial finals participant and has won the equal most premierships in the 21st Century, or a team that won the wooden spoon in 2007 when Geelong won its first of 4 premierships this century and is wooden spooner AGAIN while Geelng is still in the finals??

The demise of Richmond was as swift as the brief rise last decade!
You’ve won two more flags than Fitzroy

You even somehow manage to make conceding you lost to a better team on the day sound like an excuse now. Well done.

You were beaten by a team who performed better than you throughout the finals series and was a better team full stop.

Just stop making excuses and admit Hawthorn 2008 were a better team than Geelong 2008 and the AA selectors got it very badly wrong.

The AA selectors were supposed to predict what would happen in the finals, were they? That’s a new one.

Yeah I’m sorry to break it to you but we led our QF 111-35 at three quarter time. As good as Hawthorn were in their QF, we won ours by more and that was after we stopped playing in the last. They did win their PF by more so fair play to them. We were never seriously headed in ours, either though. It doesn’t retrospectively change everything that happened.

You need to look up the word ‘excuse’ and find out what it means.

Hawthorn fans themselves don’t believe they were the best team in 2008. They do, rightly, believe they were the best team on grand final day and take issue with people who say Geelong threw it away with bad kicking or through Hawthorn rushing the ball over the line. It had nothing to do with that. Hawthorn were the better side.

Equally Geelong fans know we weren’t close to the best team the year after and got away with one we shouldn’t have.

Tell us again about the injuries and gastro, MR.

To be honest it's not the time to rub in having 3 Cats players selected for both the 22under22 and AA squads in a year most predicted they'd finish 14th. Cameron is the only one over 30 too. Rubbing it in is sort of distasteful because it hasn't been an easy year to be a Richmond supporter.
Fair enough. But they've probably got a strong cohort competing for the Rising Star this year as you'd expect from a wooden spoon team unlike old Geelong sitting 3rd on the ladder, so there's that.

The AA selectors were supposed to predict what would happen in the finals, were they? That’s a new one.

Yeah I’m sorry to break it to you but we led our QF 111-35 at three quarter time. As good as Hawthorn were in their QF, we won ours by more and that was after we stopped playing in the last. They did win their PF by more so fair play to them. We were never seriously headed in ours, either though. It doesn’t retrospectively change everything that happened.

You need to look up the word ‘excuse’ and find out what it means.

Hawthorn fans themselves don’t believe they were the best team in 2008. They do, rightly, believe they were the best team on grand final day and take issue with people who say Geelong threw it away with bad kicking or through Hawthorn rushing the ball over the line. It had nothing to do with that. Hawthorn were the better side.

Equally Geelong fans know we weren’t close to the best team the year after and got away with one we shouldn’t have.

Tell us again about the injuries and gastro, MR.

Lol now reconstructing events with strategic omissions and references to make Geelong 08 seem better than Hawthorn 08.

They played the same 2 opponents then each other in finals.

Hawks scored 54.36 and conceded 31.43. Surplus 131 points.

Cats scored 40.51 and conceded 33.32. Surplus 61 points.

Hawks won the h2h comfortably and the flag.

I think it is pretty clear who the best team was in 2008 PB, and it was not even close, but goodon you for being more loyal to the Cats than you normally are in other areas of your life. ;)

Last edited:
Lol now reconstructing events with strategic omissions and references to make Geelong 08 seem better than Hawthorn 08.

They played the same 2 opponents then each other in finals.

Hawks scored 54.36 and conceded 31.43. Surplus 131 points.

Cats scored 40.51 and conceded 33.32. Surplus 61 points.

Hawks won the h2h comfortably and the flag.

I think it is pretty clear who the best team was in 2008 PB, and it was not even close.

Ooooooh right so the rest of the season doesn’t count: right. Gotcha. It’s JUST those three games, and the 52-point swing of the one last game had like NOOOOOO impact whatsoever 😂😂😂

By the way, just on your excellent AA logic, how will Melbourne’s performances in the finals effect your take on Max Gawn’s selection in the final team when it happens?

Some epic geelong melts in here. Great to see. 👍
I don't mean this in a nasty way, but insulting Geelong supporters feels like a full time job for you. I'd say you're one of the last remaining Hawks supporters who actually gives a shit about us.

I saw there was one Cats supporter who was the same in one of the Hawthorn threads. There's always one.

you’d win the 14-15-16 games that mattered each season between 1980-2016 that would have given you a shot at us -
Do you think many of the teams in the league would have been worried about “having a shot at you” during the 44 years of no flags before 2007?

You know, back when you folded like an oragami vagina in all those GF’s

Do you think many of the teams in the league would have been worried about “having a shot at you” during the 44 years of no flags before 2007?

Well the one time Richmond did in my lifetime we beat you by 15 goals so there’s that.

That’s the literal point, though.

It’s all very well to say ‘we beat you when it matters.’

That’s great if you’re only meeting a team in finals when you’re at the peak of your powers.

We’ve been locking horns with Sydney and Collingwood and hawthorn and to some extent Port for nearly 20 years when all of us have been at our absolute peak, or below it.

I would put a little more stock in the idea that the Tigers had some sort of mental stranglehold over us if they managed to sneak through a few finals when we were at our peak and challenged us then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate you need to get a life if randoms on a football forum say anything that you find unbearable to hear.

Much like holding onto any sort of Richmond/Geelong rivalry. It's over and we hope you guys get back on your feet ASAP. I actually think it's really sad to watch a once great team go down a path the Tigers have since their 2020 flag. So many legends had embarrassing send offs where their club was being spanked.

Being so insecure this soon after a period of success is also just...weird. Cats, Hawks and Lions supporters simply didn't keep this chip on their shoulder once their run of quick flags in the 21st century ended.

bro look who’s talking you can’t stand me 🤣 as evidenced by your posts including this one. Idk why you keep feeling the need to stay stuff like that lol

What, because we had to play outstanding grand final teams instead of the "might" of 2017 Adelaide (home), 2019 GWS (home) and 2020 retirement village Cats (neutral)?

The '92 and '94 Eagles would've smoked the 2017-2020 era Tigers. Likewise Carlton '94. Same with Hawthorn '89.

Ooooooh right so the rest of the season doesn’t count: right. Gotcha. It’s JUST those three games, and the 52-point swing of the one last game had like NOOOOOO impact whatsoever 😂😂😂

By the way, just on your excellent AA logic, how will Melbourne’s performances in the finals effect your take on Max Gawn’s selection in the final team when it happens?

If AA selectors pick players who are subsequently in finals proven to be not as good as rival players they didn't pick, then they have not picked the best team. Maybe not their fault, but if they picked the actual best players that would be shown to be the case in finals, when the best go up against the best.

So Cleany is spot on and you are wrong. Don't expect us to respect your players AA selections when they turn up in finals and get humiliated by players who they were preferred to by the AA selectors.

There are genuine AA players.

Then there are fake AA players. Geelong has had plenty of those. Richmond have had none, ever.

bro look who’s talking you can’t stand me 🤣 as evidenced by your posts including this one. Idk why you keep feeling the need to stay stuff like that lol
I've got no issue with you at all and have been fairly clear on that for a while. I don't even mock you much these days as it's cruel. You say silly things but they can be dismissed in a fairly polite way, and you tend to just fold away after that.

What, because we had to play outstanding grand final teams instead of the "might" of 2017 Adelaide (home), 2019 GWS (home) and 2020 retirement village Cats (neutral)?

The '92 and '94 Eagles would've smoked the 2017-2020 era Tigers. Likewise Carlton '94. Same with Hawthorn '89.
We’ll if you say so, it must be true

I've got no issue with you at all and have been fairly clear on that for a while. I don't even mock you much these days as it's cruel. You say silly things but they can be dismissed in a fairly polite way, and you tend to just fold away after that.

You still don’t get its fun banter that’s the problem. This thread was dead for ages, it was boring. Do you want that?

No need for the apostrophe there mate.

All of this is an opinion game. It's up to you if you want to believe Richmond disposed of some incredible sides 2017-2020 while Geelong '89-'95 were brushed aside by nobodies on grand final days.
Regardless of your opinion your finals record speaks for itself.
Then and more recently.

Thankyou for being grammatically correct.

Lol, you state that as if it were some sort of indisputable fact. :tearsofjoy:

Richmond conceded 61 goals in the 9 finals they had to win to take their 3 dynasty flags, at under 7 goals per game. The rules of the game had to be radically altered because the best teams in the competition could not score against Richmond when it mattered. They could barely move the ball. Playing in a 100% fully professional and 18 team National competition era. In all likelihood, none of those teams would have been able to score enough to be competitive with the great Tiger teams. And even less of them would have been able to stop Dusty. :cool:

There were good reasons why Richmond's 17-20 dynasty team has the best Grand Final percentage of any team to play in multiple Grand Finals in the 127 years history of the competition.

Last edited:
If AA selectors pick players who are subsequently in finals proven to be not as good as rival players they didn't pick, then they have not picked the best team. Maybe not their fault, but if they picked the actual best players that would be shown to be the case in finals, when the best go up against the best.

So Cleany is spot on and you are wrong. Don't expect us to respect your players AA selections when they turn up in finals and get humiliated by players who they were preferred to by the AA selectors.

There are genuine AA players.

Then there are fake AA players. Geelong has had plenty of those. Richmond have had none, ever.

I don’t expect you to respect them: they don’t play for Richmond or come with a high player rating or draft number, after all in most cases.

And no not really. We’ve had one AA player in the last 18 seasons who hasn’t won a premiership - Tim Kelly. And he finished third in the Brownlow Medal that year and had 31/3 against you in a prelim so… yeah. Wrong again.

I don’t expect you to respect them: they don’t play for Richmond or come with a high player rating or draft number, after all in most cases.

And no not really. We’ve had one AA player in the last 18 seasons who hasn’t won a premiership - Tim Kelly. And he finished third in the Brownlow Medal and had 31/3 against you in a prelim so… yeah. Wrong again.

Mate you have had relative spuds selected year after year where we can easily point to better seasons from Hawthorn or Richmond players that were not selected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Back