VFL Geelong VFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think playing two mediocre rucks in the one side is asking for trouble. At least with Esava there’s a pretext of him also playing forward.
In most people views, Esava hasn't done much to prove his spot... and honestly, his looking at a flop... I hope I'm wrong but it is looking that way...

In most people views, Esava hasn't done much to prove his spot... and honestly, his looking at a flop... I hope I'm wrong but it is looking that way...
Yep, worrying signs but nothing that would be solved by a Ceglar/Fort type in his place.

Yep, worrying signs but nothing that would be solved by a Ceglar/Fort type in his place.
Absolutely. The hope now might be that if Shannon builds through the season, he could (rightly) push Esava out of the team before the year is out.

Only guarantee then is that, should he not perform, he would get far less than 57 games at Esava's current output before vanishing from the club without a trace.

I think it's almost window dressing but I think Stanley could be more effective at Savs role, and Ceglar could be a different look at first ruck.

But yeah, no real material difference in outcomes

I think it's almost window dressing but I think Stanley could be more effective at Savs role, and Ceglar could be a different look at first ruck.

Yes, given a choice between Rhys and the inanimate carbon rod, I'm definitely still going with Rhys.

Be absolutely wonderful when Conway starts playing consistent footy over the coming years. Seeing a legitimate big man dominate hitouts and stand strong in marking contests will be a sight for sore eyes.

We should definitely try that at some stage.
Melbourne , Carlton , Swans, Brisbane and Hawks all playing 2 genuine rucks to good effect.
They are getting goals out of them and importantly are not compromising centre clearances ( and good chance of goals from good clearances) by having a relief ruck basically do nothing.

Cegs has only played one game post injury lets hold fire and see what he offers us in a month. My bet is he will play seniors soon and i hope hes more up to it than our previous rucks.

I watched him last year. He looked flat footed in the VFL playing for BH. I cant see him being the answer against the likes of Luke Jackson. Give him a month OK fair enough let him get to his best self and show what he can offer. I feel at best he may be able to nullify opp rucks..but I cant see him being much different than what we have had. We have just muddied the waters further by adding another ruck that is not obvious the number1 selection ..who is almost done and is just filling time till someone like Conway or Neale is ready.

I watched him last year. He looked flat footed in the VFL playing for BH. I cant see him being the answer against the likes of Luke Jackson. Give him a month OK fair enough let him get to his best self and show what he can offer. I feel at best he may be able to nullify opp rucks..but I cant see him being much different than what we have had. We have just muddied the waters further by adding another ruck that is not obvious the number1 selection ..who is almost done and is just filling time till someone like Conway or Neale is ready.
I don't think it muddies the water at all - the reason he's on the list is very clear. If Stanley gets injured, he's it.

I don't think it muddies the water at all - the reason he's on the list is very clear. If Stanley gets injured, he's it.
I don’t mind looking at it that way. Last year Fort was our backup; this year it’s Ceglar. Far less certain that Ceglar is going to offer any more than Stanley though.

He was arguably our best big man on the weekend, with only Blicavs potentially better. Esava had 11 disposals and four marks in conditions that were terrible for a player his size. He had five contested possessions amongst that, three intercepts. He only attended 8 centre bounces but still had two centre clearances. He only attended 11 ruck contests but still won 5 hit outs. He had two inside 50s and two rebound 50s. That is a very solid game for a big man of his age and experience, without even considering the slippery conditions.

No matter what he does, he's bashed on here every week. It was the same with Hawkins all the way up to the qualifying final in 2011. This board picks and chooses it's favourites and bashes it's whipping boys regardless of performance. I don't see anyone ripping Stengle for his two-kick game - we had 65 inside 50s for the game, only 13 marks inside 50. That means there were 52 entries where the ball was on the ground and our saviour small forward only managed two kicks for the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets see how long till he gets a gig. If he is fit and playing VFL just like Fort was ...then we have not advanced our situation at all ..we are still reliant on good Stanley. Id think he will not spend the year in the VFL

I don't see anyone ripping Stengle for his two-kick game - we had 65 inside 50s for the game, only 13 marks inside 50. That means there were 52 entries where the ball was on the ground and our saviour small forward only managed two kicks for the game.
Count me in if you like. I thought Stengle was simply terrible, at least in any efforts to actually take clean possession of the football. Might have been OK without the ball but he was a complete Casper when it came to winning it.

In the end, Tyson's only had one game in which he massively underperformed to this point in time, though. Esava continues to have plenty of games that just don't seem up to scratch to me. It's not that surprising that some of us are losing patience with what we see as unjustified ongoing investment in a scarce and unproven resource.

Lets see how long till he gets a gig. If he is fit and playing VFL just like Fort was ...then we have not advanced our situation at all ..we are still reliant on good Stanley. Id think he will not spend the year in the VFL
As thejester has noted above, getting Ceglar in wasn't about advancing the situation. It was about replacing the most recent 'break glass' option with the next.

Conway is the difference-making advance in our ruck situation. Will take time, but seems odds-on to make it in my view.

I don’t mind looking at it that way. Last year Fort was our backup; this year it’s Ceglar. Far less certain that Ceglar is going to offer any more than Stanley though.
that was the only reason i was ok with us even getting Ceglar, basically with losing Fort we had a like for like gimp replacement that won't actually play all that much but if something happens can be used to fill a week or 2

I think the chances of advancing our situation via trade were slim. There are a handful of players in the league who offer a clear upgrade on Stanley and they were not for sale. FWIW I didn't think Ceglar was terrible on the weekend and I can see at least part of the appeal - he knows when and where to run to do all the structural stuff ruckmen are supposed to do these days.

Your all under estimating Ceglar
He's a far better option than Stanley at the moment. Stanley is playing like he doesn't want to be there.

Stanley is playing like he doesn't want to be there.

He's always played like that though. Almost like he's chuffed just to be earning 450k per year and keeping fit for a living.
Watching him play in games in the VFL last year, I was amazed at how he was gifted games by the coach as he was rather average to say the least but was still picked for seniors. Must be some clause in the contract that stipulates must play certain amount of senior games or something. Saints got rid of him early as they saw what he really was.

He's a far better option than Stanley at the moment. Stanley is playing like he doesn't want to be there.
Sav beginning the game in the ruck last week was a strong sign of things to come when Ceglar is right to go
He’s a stronger mark than Rhys and Sav, around the ground and forward

Perhaps. Or perhaps the underwhelming 'battle of the journeymen' between Andrew Phillips and him in the VFL on the weekend was indicative of where he is at.

Time will tell, one would hope.
Plenty of second string ruckman have flourished when given the chance to be number one at a new club. Just look at Hickey

Plenty of second string ruckman have flourished when given the chance to be number one at a new club. Just look at Hickey
He's one that has done well for himself, I agree. Just wishes he could play against Rhys every week to really enhance his reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back