VFL Geelong VFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruhns a tough one i would like him but some of the talls around our R1 are exactly what we need to be the long term bookend replacements for hawk and blitz (hopefully conway replaces stanley). I would prefer to keep our R1 and use later picks or future picks to get tanner but im unsure how realistic it is.

This year is decent for mids (not just clarke wardlaw and tsatas theres a heap of mids that will be picked later that will be good) but this is honestly the best talls crop ive seen in several years (not saying the individual talls will be as good as the kings but the depth in quality talls is very good in this pool). Because we have several R3s i would be taking talls early and backing mids to slide to those later picks.

If we could get Bruhn ...ina year deep with talls...id take Bruhna and hunt one thats slips thru. Bruhan is basically top10 quality.

Of course ... once we start seeing them play... I look forward to the champs this year. Would ou like to name a few talls that you liked...and were does the Falcons talls rate next to them ( we always like our stay home Falcons). ....

I could see that being the logical way to go...yet my bet we look back in a year or two and there was one there to draft. Thing is we cant expect every pick to perfect or to spot all the talent. If we get2 players a year from the draft we are doing well. It would seem we may have a dice roll in Demp..and we have not seen much of the others yet.

The obvious one that we took a wide birth on was McCartin. I think we liked Charlie Dean ? Im glad we have not topped up with a stop gap... might be pain short term but its better if we add players with the right stats to make it long term..like Sdek.

I wonder if Conway is going to be our long term ruck..that Tsap i the right size, id like to see him tried down back.
We should have got C Dean will be a good player

Had that whiff from the very beginning. I never understood the optimism.

Cegs has only played one game post injury lets hold fire and see what he offers us in a month. My bet is he will play seniors soon and i hope hes more up to it than our previous rucks.

Cegs has only played one game post injury lets hold fire and see what he offers us in a month. My bet is he will play seniors soon and i hope hes more up to it than our previous rucks.
My pessimism is not only about his body but his ability. He’s just not that good.

Both Stanley and Ceglar are mediocre but at least Fort was 3 years younger without the wear and tear on the body that Ceglar has.
Stupid decision to trade for another player like that.
Geelong is the club you come to when you are cooked.

I could see that being the logical way to go...yet my bet we look back in a year or two and there was one there to draft. Thing is we cant expect every pick to perfect or to spot all the talent. If we get2 players a year from the draft we are doing well. It would seem we may have a dice roll in Demp..and we have not seen much of the others yet.

The obvious one that we took a wide birth on was McCartin. I think we liked Charlie Dean ? Im glad we have not topped up with a stop gap... might be pain short term but its better if we add players with the right stats to make it long term..like Sdek.

I wonder if Conway is going to be our long term ruck..that Tsap i the right size, id like to see him tried down back.
Have you even seen Tsap play noway would or could he play as a backman

Fort was never given any games to show he was better. The Lions think he is good enough for their first two games.

Fort was better than Stanley in the VFL last year. Stanley was deferred too naturally by Scott.
I reckon Fort would have done better than the 6 touches, 20 hitouts and 0 clearances Stanley achieved in the qualifying final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That has been my take on him has never looked good at halfback on a man, but was very good on the wing because of his kicking
That's the only real concern with him in my view. Even yesterday against 'meh' opposition, he didn't tend to even halve his contests in the air when he was 1v1. Very promising with the ball but not highly alert to negating his opponent when he doesn't have it.

Wing might just be the most natural fit in the end.

Stanley is average but only fools think Fort is better. Utter journeyman.
It's all very well for people to point out that Fort is now playing games at Brisbane. That knowledge needs to be illuminated by the awareness that their ruck stocks are parlous (apart from Oscar) as well. Fagan has always looked to play two rucks, and they've had players in there over recent seasons who were totally incapable/unprepared for that role, simply because he's determined to pursue that structure for his line-up.

The real (admittedly hypothetical) question is then this one...would Stanley play ahead of Fort if they were both on the Lions list this season? For me, the answer is 'every day of the week, and twice on Sundays'. And that is also why Stanley played ahead of Fort almost every week he was at the Cats.

Often things really aren't as complicated as some people think they might be.

It's all very well for people to point out that Fort is now playing games at Brisbane. That knowledge needs to be illuminated by the awareness that their ruck stocks are parlous (apart from Oscar) as well. Fagan has always looked to play two rucks, and they've had players in there over recent seasons who were totally incapable/unprepared for that role, simply because he's determined to pursue that structure for his line-up.

The real (admittedly hypothetical) question is then this one...would Stanley play ahead of Fort if they were both on the Lions list this season? For me, the answer is 'every day of the week, and twice on Sundays'. And that is also why Stanley played ahead of Fort almost every week he was at the Cats.

Often things really aren't as complicated as some people think they might be.
Obviously you never saw him dominate in the VFL, a feat neither Stanley nor Sav could manage.

I'm not saying for Stanley.... in for Esava....
I think playing two mediocre rucks in the one side is asking for trouble. At least with Esava there’s a pretext of him also playing forward.

Obviously you never saw him dominate in the VFL, a feat neither Stanley nor Sav could manage.
Fair enough. He won't be the first to dominate at VFL level and never make the transition, though.

I'm glad he's getting chances at Brisbane. But he's not better than Rhys as a #1 ruck in the AFL and that's the only question that was being considered each week by the M.C. at Geelong. Sure, he could have perhaps played ahead of Sav as the #2 at Geelong but that's a whole different question. I stand by my belief that he was not a better week-to-week proposition as our first-choice ruck than Rhys.

And, yes, that is a backhanded way of suggesting that I don't rate him very highly. Well done, him, if this Brisbane thing works out. Because I see him as only ever being capable of holding down that #2 ruck role, wherever he plays in the AFL.

Fort's VFL form last year warranted him getting an opportunity at senior level. But by and large our teams are not selected on form. 9 over 30 players yesterday suggests seniority remains nearly guarantees game in the seniors. McDonald - pick 26 and already doing very well indeed at the Hawks - would not he getting a game with us.

I think playing two mediocre rucks in the one side is asking for trouble. At least with Esava there’s a pretext of him also playing forward.

Pretext only though he needs to impact more.

Fair enough. He won't be the first to dominate at VFL level and never make the transition, though.

I'm glad he's getting chances at Brisbane. But he's not better than Rhys as a #1 ruck in the AFL and that's the only question that was being considered each week by the M.C. at Geelong. Sure, he could have perhaps played ahead of Sav as the #2 at Geelong but that's a whole different question. I stand by my belief that he was not a better week-to-week proposition as our first-choice ruck than Rhys.

And, yes, that is a backhanded way of suggesting that I don't rate him very highly. Well done, him, if this Brisbane thing works out. Because I see him as only ever being capable of holding down that #2 ruck role, wherever he plays in the AFL.
I never said that Fort was better than Stanley. I said he was never given a reasonable opportunity at AFL level to show what he could do. You seem to be forgetting that this was against a background of Stanley consistently being criticised on this board, the general perception in the press that we had ruck problems, Sav getting a handful of possessions and taps each time but still being gifted games, and playing a part timer, Blicavs, when Stanley was injured. If 28 year old Fort becomes a good player at Brisbane, I will be very unhappy with the club.

I never said that Fort was better than Stanley. I said he was never given a reasonable opportunity at AFL level to show what he could do. You seem to be forgetting that this was against a background of Stanley consistently being criticised on this board, the general perception in the press that we had ruck problems, Sav getting a handful of possessions and taps each time but still being gifted games, and playing a part timer, Blicavs, when Stanley was injured. If 28 year old Fort becomes a good player at Brisbane, I will be very unhappy with the club.
Go for your life. For me, if Fort becomes a good player at Brisbane, I will be genuinely staggered at the abrupt change in his career trajectory.

He's a squad player, adequate in just about everything to do with his role and actually dynamic and impressive in just about none of it.

Could he hold down a spot with the Lions as just about their last picked every week? Absolutely. Does that mean the Cats seriously erred in not stringing him along as the placeholder who was only destined to be considered for senior footy in an outright ruck emergency? Not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back