VFL Geelong VFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched him last year. He looked flat footed in the VFL playing for BH. I cant see him being the answer against the likes of Luke Jackson. Give him a month OK fair enough let him get to his best self and show what he can offer. I feel at best he may be able to nullify opp rucks..but I cant see him being much different than what we have had. We have just muddied the waters further by adding another ruck that is not obvious the number1 selection ..who is almost done and is just filling time till someone like Conway or Neale is ready.

Like thejester i dont think anything is muddied its clear to me. Stanley is 31 conway/neale are his successor but they are 1-3 years away. Blitz cant play ruck due to our lack of kpds. So if stanley is injured or in bad form ceglar is next man in which is the same role Fort had. The only unknown is whether he is purely backup like fort was or whether we can play stanley and ceglar together (like hawks did mcevoy and ceglar) or whether we prefer 1 1/2 rucks with sav in the team instead.

As for the rest i didnt see much of ceglar in the vfl yet but i saw some of his afl games last year and they were very good. Given he has only played one game i want to see a month at full fitness before i make a call on him-few thought Hickey would be anything except a journeyman last year and he surprised-Ceglar might too.

He was arguably our best big man on the weekend, with only Blicavs potentially better. Esava had 11 disposals and four marks in conditions that were terrible for a player his size. He had five contested possessions amongst that, three intercepts. He only attended 8 centre bounces but still had two centre clearances. He only attended 11 ruck contests but still won 5 hit outs. He had two inside 50s and two rebound 50s. That is a very solid game for a big man of his age and experience, without even considering the slippery conditions.

No matter what he does, he's bashed on here every week. It was the same with Hawkins all the way up to the qualifying final in 2011. This board picks and chooses it's favourites and bashes it's whipping boys regardless of performance. I don't see anyone ripping Stengle for his two-kick game - we had 65 inside 50s for the game, only 13 marks inside 50. That means there were 52 entries where the ball was on the ground and our saviour small forward only managed two kicks for the game.
I still wouldn't call his game on the weekend good by any needs... its his 6th season now.... 6th season and most on here would love to prove us all wrong, but he has to show more consistency in his game and there isn't much showing yet...
Of course Stngle was poor and most small forwards in the game are never consistent . Except the genuine guns

Stanley does a darn good job, goes alright for mine!???

thejester nailed it as did others. His good is very good (not elite like gawn and grundy) but very solid B grade but he is inconsistent and his bad is very bad, however there was realistically no one available on the trade market at a price we could pay who was a clear upgrade on him. We just have to hope ceglar can put selection pressure on and bring the best out of him and that long term conway becomes A grade when they both retire.

Read yesterday Lachie Waddell is a tall forward from Hamilton who come down to try out for our VFL side Ht 202 Wht 110 big boy, hope to get a look at him soon
Big bloke, He won a premiership with Port Melbourne in 2017 as a key defender but can also play ruck/key forward according to articles.

I think it’s unlikely Ceglar is going to come in and answer all our prayers in the ruck. But not unrealistic to think he might be able to offer more than Esava or Stanley.
But I think a big part of recruiting him was so he and Jenkins can provide coaching to the young rucks we’ve recruited. We’ve got Neale, Conway and Tsap developing and JJ and Ceglar will be invaluable in assisting them in games and at training.

Stanley does a darn good job, goes alright for mine!???

That is because you have been predisposed into accepting mediocrity.
Stanley's numbers are similar to other battlers like Zac Clarke, Shaun Hampson, Matthew Leuenberger, Mike Pyke, Ivan Maric.
Probably harsh on Leuenberger as he copped a lot of injuries in his time.

Stanley's barely a B grade footballer.
You have the elite rucks and then the next batch.
Then come the guys who are immediately replaced the moment someone capable comes along. This is exactly what will happen with Stanley.

I might be asking a stupid question but does the AFL site allow you to cast to your TV?
Not that I've figured out, mate.

The only way I would think of is casting google chrome from a PC or laptop, not sure how good that quality would be or connecting a laptop via HDMI

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can just search on the TV browser internet, just search AFL than go to the website and follow the prompts.. thats only if you go a Smart TV
I didn't even think of that. Cheers.

Maybe I can download the AFL app on my TV and try it that way. 🤷

Let me know how that app works out. All I discovered is that the WatchAFL app doesn't provide an option for the "Android TV" OS variant. It supports native casting though, so fairly easy to do with a phone or tablet. I'd still prefer to use the native TV remote.

Let me know how that app works out. All I discovered is that the WatchAFL app doesn't provide an option for the "Android TV" OS variant. It supports native casting though, so fairly easy to do with a phone or tablet. I'd still prefer to use the native TV remote.
I'll try it after work.

Oh, you guys caught me, I didn't realize they were streaming every VFL game live. (Not that I could pull that off in the States.) But if I click directly in the VFL fixture, they also have a full match replay. R1 example:

or

I couldn't originally find that from the main site, just the 5 minute match summary video.

I have the AFL Live app on my phone, but just checked and can't install it on any Android TV.

I can't even install it on a fairly nice but older Samsung tablet, which is annoying because I often watch footy on that via Fox's WatchAFL app.

Other methods - I can use a google Chrome to cast screen to my TV but it lags a little and is blurry even on highest res.
I also can plug my phone directly to a computer monitor using an HDMI to usbc cable and then use the Samsung DeX controls to play it from there.

If you can screen mirror to your tv there’s way to do it.
Cast your can’t
I've only got a phone and an android smart TV with build in chromecast and the ability to download apps to the homescreen. I gave the PC and laptop to the kids.

The only thing I know how to do Is press the cast button on YouTube, etc on my phone and the rest takes care of itself. 🤣

Anything else and I have no idea. 🤷

I've only got a phone and an android smart TV with build in chromecast and the ability to download apps to the homescreen. I gave the PC and laptop to the kids.

The only thing I know how to do Is press the cast button on YouTube, etc on my phone and the rest takes care of itself. 🤣

Anything else and I have no idea. 🤷
Sounds like using the smart tv to get the AFL website may be your best bet then.

Still weighing up going on Sat. If I go then going early and seeing the VFL makes sense. But local footy Round 1 is enticing.

Yes Stengle crashed to earth with a thud like Parfitt, Danger and others.
At least Parfitt still pressures like crazy and makes the game hard for the opposition. Stengle's weak attempted tackle and Danger's lack of defensive chasing were awful. Hopefully Stengle can make his bad games more like Parfitt where he's at least competitive rather than Danger who is a real liability when he has a bad game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back