Preview Geelong vs Collingwood, Practice Match Fri 26 Feb, 11am @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was only one ruck contest but he outwitted Cox easily to win the boundary tap - he's a genuine ruck/ forward with a terrific attitude , astute pick up :thumbsu:

Only saw the second half but of the kids :
Stevens - had a mare but that can happen , skills look solid though , perseverance required
Evans - pocket rocket and a goalkicker as well as pressure - liked the look of him.
SDK - raw and very lean , will develop but will take time , looked lost in the ruck
Freddie - I'm a fan , he's ready and looks a physical threat , gotta love a left footer !
Jarvis - needs to react quicker with decisions and in the contest , sense of urgency required
Okunbor - better than I thought but a reminder that defenders need excellent skills , work in progress.
Constable - must retain as an inside mid , looks to have improved endurance.
Miers - his goal sense is off the charts , forget him taking cheapies in the back pocket - want him within 30 metres of goal :think:
Yes i got excited watching Neale as he showed footy smarts you just look for something small that tells you...he is one to watch

I'm looking forward to seeing the Tom and Jerry show up forward this season.

Some of Hawkins' disposal by foot while playing up the ground was sensational. The pass he thread through a needle to hit a running teammate surrounded by 3-4 opponents in the last quarter was sublime, as was the pass from 60m out off two steps that hit Shannon Neale running back towards goal at the top of the goal square.

It's going to be a delight watching some of those passes hit Cameron lace out during the season.

Some of Hawkins' disposal by foot while playing up the ground was sensational. The pass he thread through a needle to hit a running teammate surrounded by 3-4 opponents in the last quarter was sublime, as was the pass from 60m out off two steps that hit Shannon Neale running back towards goal at the top of the goal square.

It's going to be a delight watching some of those passes hit Cameron lace out during the season.

Agree winty , will be very exciting if they gel together - we've missed having two genuine tall forwards in the side of late.

Tom's skills are first class - his field kicking and handball are of rare quality for such a big unit. Also he's never rushed which leads him into some great decisions with the ball in hand. Cap that off with his forward ruck craft ( did you see him shift Grundy so easily to double handed tap to advantage) - he is a rare talent and all round good bloke to cap it all off.
Did I mention he can kick a goal or two as well :p

He has always been an exceptional field pass. Massively underrated in this area.

I watched around a half in total. So won't really speculate on best players. Just a few observations...

- Franny looked good whenever he went near it. Seems a footballer rather than an athlete. Which suits me just fine.
- Hendo looked very composed down back once again. Will be good to have him as a steadying influence back there now that H. is gone.
- Okunbor can get it but the two disposals I saw (one handball and one kick) were pretty dreadful. Might be big enough, fast enough and hard enough. But seems like plenty of skills sessions still required there.
- Great to see Danger and Cameron both get out there for some time.
- Also glad to see the skipper play some significant time this early in the piece. Albeit he was subdued.
- Higgins showed his class with the touches I saw. Will be a quality addition to the group.
- Hope Rhys is OK. Ruck stocks very light on without him out there. Particularly if Esava is not ready to play.
- Constable was, for me, a lot like always. Gets the ball fine, uses it OK. But doesn't stand out or show any POD.
- Rest of the seasoned senior players were fine, I thought. Some handy players still to come back as well. Parf probably the best of the established group across the whole game for mine.
- Not really much of the other kids that was hugely noticeable. Glad to see a few getting a run later on but they didn't get to show out a lot.

And, as for the new rule supposedly wreaking havoc, I didn't see an issue with it in the time I watched. Players seemed quite capable of standing still on the mark and waiting for the player with the footy to make their move. May not have positively impacted today's game that much but certainly didn't detract at all from what I saw. And did potentially open up more angles for players to move the footy freely in any direction.

In the end, if Rhys is actually OK, I'm satisfied with what happened out there today. So it's now onward and upward to the obligatory 'what the?' caning from the Bombers next weekend...
Who is franny?

so the new rule designed to change the game didnt change it and therefore that is a success? Sounds like an episode of utopia.

Who is franny?

so the new rule designed to change the game didnt change it and therefore that is a success? Sounds like an episode of utopia.

Franny => Francis Evans.

And you're the only one who used the word 'success' in relation to the effects of the rule change. I was simply making the point that it wasn't the debacle that some were claiming it was going to be. It appears that players are actually more than capable of standing the mark and giving the player with the footy freedom to make an unfettered choice around how to dispose of the ball.

Only saw snatches but was really impressed with Parfitt. I know we're looking at Constable, Clark etc but if Parfitt can elevate his game to another level it'll make a huge difference to our season. He looked really good today (especially the hack out of midair to a free player 15m away).

Also liked Evans and am surprised he hasn't got more hype over preseason. Clearly played really well in what passed for the twos last year and was named emergency a couple of times - and he plays in a position where there might be some chance of getting in.

Was surprised by well Atkins played, too. Was very skeptical of the move down back but given the great criticism of him is how little he gets it he seemed to rack up a lot of touches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what happened to geelong members getting emailed a link to the game? Did they just decide not to do that in the end.
I got it
Go Catters

I didn't get to see the game but firstly did Neale play, and if he did how did he fare?

Also Evans, did he manage to get a run?
The club will release a link to watch the full match on replay if you want to watch it at a later time

But as for those guys, Evans played all 4 quarters, looked busy out there and was rewarded with as couple of goals

Neale came into the game after halftime and got involved in the last quarter. Hawkins hit him up with a nice pass which allowed him to go back and slot the winning goal late in the match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back