Geelong vs pies final should not be at the mcg.

Remove this Banner Ad

You get to play 4th. That should be easy for a premiership team to handle.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Oh okay I get it now. It's like if in formula 1 you go through qualifying to work out grid positions for the race but instead of 1st place after qualifying earning pole position they start behind 4th place because they should beat 4th......hang on nup I'm confused again, why do we do the qualifying bit again?

No, this has never been a thing (outside of the COVID hub years). You win the right to host a final in your home state, the AFL decides the most suitable venue to accommodate the game.
Great. So what did the pies earn for finishing 4th? The right to host a final in their home state.

How about a compromise.

The game gets played at the MCG so the AFL can cash in on a 90,000 crowd, but Geelong get to place witches hats to reduce the width of the ground by 30m on each side so their zone still works and their old legs can cope.
What did you guys finish? 13th? You probably earnt a home state final in this pointless ladder system too.

The MCG has become this Mecca of ground dimensions, purely because it's got the biggest grandstand, but look at purpose built stadiums for Footy:

KP: Long and Skinny (20m longer and 40m skinnier than the G)
Marvel: Long and Skinny (20m skinnier than the G)
VFL Park: Long and Skinny (although it's the same width as the G, it's also 40m longer)
Subiaco: Long and Skinny (20m longer and 40m skinnier than the G)
Footy Park: Long and Skinny (25m skinnier than the G)

Football wasn't meant to be played on a circle.

Those figures are way out.
VFL Park was not 200m long goal to goal lol, it was in the 175m to 180m range. There was a massive gap between the fences and boundary.
Footy park was 10 metres wider than you state.
Marvel is about 12m narrower than the G, not 20.

A lot of the figures floating around are not accurate and some are fence to fence rather than boundary to boundary.
The following article is reasonably accurate.

The main reason Subi and KP are narrow are space restraints due to roads.
KP is not even an oval, one side of it is squashed to almost a straight line.

You're living in a fantasy land.

The are more Aussie Rules players and fans outside of Victoria than in it.

I'd fully switch to a proper national comp tomorrow if it was on offer.

Victorians can only strangle the cat so many times before it is dead.

Says the guy who thinks a break away comp will happen. Break away comp will be less money for players. Wont happen

So what did the pies earn for finishing 4th? The right to host a final in their home state.
This might be news to you, but the competition has 10 Victorian teams. Lower ranked Victorian finalists play higher ranked Victorian finalists at the MCG every single year.

Cos it has not been fixed yet and the same mistakes are about to happen again.
You have absolutely no argument while there i
what were your thoughts when the swans complained vehemently that they had to play a home final against gws at homebush and not the scg 6 years ago? Homebush was only a 25 min ride away (And your former home ground for like a decade) and yet the sydney swans thought it was outrageously unfair.

I believe sydney were fully justified to complain. But Geelongs situation is far worse.
The argument is absolutely dead and buried while construction work is going on.

Also a false equivalence.

If GMHBA gets to 50,000 capacity then we can talk.

And what does "complained vehemently" even mean?

The AFL does whatever it wants for $$$. Thats just how it is. Integrity and fairness are always low down the list for the AFL.

Cos it has not been fixed yet and the same mistakes are about to happen again.

what were your thoughts when the swans complained vehemently that they had to play a home final against gws at homebush and not the scg 6 years ago? Homebush was only a 25 min ride away (And your former home ground for like a decade) and yet the sydney swans thought it was outrageously unfair.

I believe sydney were fully justified to complain. But geelongs situation is far worse.

Swans hadn't even played a single game there that year.

Does the SCG or Gabba hold 50k?
SCG 48,000. A magnificent stadium comfort and TV spectacle wise.

Also a false equivalence anyway given the MCG is the home of footy.

The MCG is actually a good venue for Geelong. It is 1 hour away and your winning % there is 55% over a century which is above Collingwood (53), Melbourne (52), North Melbourne (50) and Carlton (47).

Lets talk when Kardinia Park renovations are finished but not 2022.

What's next, Grand Final in Geelong?

The ground isn't finals standard. Reverse the roles, why can't Collingwood host a final at Victoria Park, or Carlton at Princess Park or Bulldogs at Whitten Oval? The bleeding obvious reason is none of those grounds have a suitable crowd capacity for a finals game in Victoria.

The very next best option to the MCG to hold a final in Victoria was once Waverley, with today's next best being Docklands. At 50k that's still not enough and is a last resort if the MCG isn't available.

Waverley with its 75-80k would still be a far better option even today.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gws played a prelim in front of 21 thousand fans instead of playing it 30 mins down the road at the scg where they would of got over 30 thousand. So you are wrong.

and why home state. If crowds was the goal (as ridiculous as that is) then what has a boundary 300 km away got to do with it? Play all finals in melbourne at the mcg except for maybe perth finals. But they dont. not even consistent in their bias.
Finals are league games, they arent club games.

The league dictates the preferred venue, and they use finals as leverage for stadium contract negotiations.

As mentioned it is home state final, this also is a financial decision. As for an EF between Port and Freo, no guarantee will get 30k if play it at the MCG...so play it in the home state of highest ranked club guarantees a huge local crowd and build up.

In 2016 the league played the Sydney v GWS QF at Stadium Australia, because of the predicted interest. It wasnt at the SCG despite Sydney being minor premier.

If the league felt that playing the PF at Stadium Australia would make as much money and generate interest in West Sydney (a strategic goal) it would have played it there. But as it was they went with Showground stadium, and they were prpbably right as the crowd was smaller than the GWS v Sydney H&A game there.

Geelong played finals for 120 years at Waverley/MCG. It is laughable that they now think they are entitled to "home" finals at a minor venue.

Finals should be played at the home ground of the finalist who has earned it. Selective rules applied to the select few. Simple as that. Should have nothing to do with atmosphere or money or crowds. It has to do with fairness and preserving the integrity of the competition. Yet here we are. Yet again.

If we're talking about integrity there's more to it than finals. The biggest one is the draw.

Finals are league games, they arent club games.

The league dictates the preferred venue, and they use finals as leverage for stadium contract negotiations.
This is something I just don't get as someone used to North American sports. The primary reason for finishing higher in the standings in most team sports is to attain home-field advantage. Other than a game in their state in the event it plays Sydney in a prelim, what has Geelong gained by finishing first in this instance? Even worse, the team that finished 4th has the distinct home field advantage. Any North American fan base would be furious with this situation.

This might be news to you, but the competition has 10 Victorian teams. Lower ranked Victorian finalists play higher ranked Victorian finalists at the MCG every single year.
Yeah it's cool I get it. I genuinely didn't understand before but it's crystal clear now and makes perfect sense. Geelong finished first and earnt the right to a final at the G but may as well finished 4th to earn a right to play at the G.....and if the Pies were 1st they would've earnt the right to play at the G and Geelong 4th the same again. Perfection.

As I've said before let's just get rid of the home and away season and we can all just play at the G every game and the loser gets knocked out. I mean why waste 22 games establishing ladder positions if they don't mean anything.

This is something I just don't get as someone used to North American sports. The primary reason for finishing higher in the standings in most team sports is to attain home-field advantage. Other than a game in their state in the event it plays Sydney in a prelim, what has Geelong gained by finishing first in this instance? Even worse, the team that finished 4th has the distinct home field advantage. Any North American fan base would be furious with this situation.
Nah it's all good I get it now. Geelong's a Victorian team so we earnt the right to play in Victoria.

Let's just keep going though, all the teams are based in Australia so we could have a finals system where say Sydney finishes first and earns the right to a final at the G because they are an Australian team.

If we're talking about integrity there's more to it than finals. The biggest one is the draw.

Oh like the draw of 2017, when your mob played Carlton and Adelaide twice?
The draw is predicated on guesses and a shifty little thing that could be equalisation.
Pies go from 17th to 4th, who would have thought.
Cats bagged as pensioners last year and this, no one picked a top finish.
So guesses on future form, unless the AFL has a crystal ball and is
guided by BF numptys in their tin hats.

If it was us or WB or North we wouldn’t get to play it at Marvel, so it’s not like this is some anti-Geelong thing.
100% agree with you, if the saints finished first and say Richmond 4th, the saints should have right to play at Marvel. That's exactly how it should go and genuinely hope that scenario plays out one day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong vs pies final should not be at the mcg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back