Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
Something on the main board made me think of them.

Did anyone here play at the ground? Go and watch games etc?

I played for them in juniors for 1 year I think. Maybe 2. But the seniors were already done.
Big stand, huge clubrooms for juniors to be in. It was like I'd been shunted into a different world.

For some reason I felt special on that ground.
Maybe it was respect for all the guys I used to watch there live and on TV.
Or maybe it was the running track. It always made you feel like the wings were truly massive.

They used to get massive crowds (relatively) in the early days at that ground.
I remember wishing when they folded that the GFC reserves would start playing there. Just to get that deep community feel back that I missed so much.

And I lived next to and played at North Shore, but for some reason GWFC always connected with me more.

Does anyone else have any memories / pictures?
I have no pictures at all.

I used to walk to the ground and watch Geelong West in the days my hero Billy Goggin was coach. Names like Joe Radojevic, Dave Manson, Terry Bright.

The ground itself IIRC, had really dangerous concrete or paved boundaries. Something bizarre about the outskirts of the ground, almost like a running track or velodrome.

Goggin had success there.

You're right about the track around the ground veedub. A velodrome if I remember correctly. I played a few finals there at U/18 level for werribee centrals. The middle of the ground used to be as hard as a rock as well

You're right about the track around the ground veedub. A velodrome if I remember correctly. I played a few finals there at U/18 level for werribee centrals. The middle of the ground used to be as hard as a rock as well

Yes, a smallish ground, with a bitumen bike track around it banking up to the fence. Made it really difficult to pull up if a player left the grass at speed. Skin off.

Great place to bat because the pitch in the middle was a beauty.

I played for the Roosters in the 93/94 seasons I think when Ron Watt was the coach after playing all of my juniors for North Shore.
The night games were fantastic with huge crowds.

Played all my junior footy there up until u-18 when the club could no longer field a side, was when the Roosters had pulled out of the VFA and the club struggled for a few years. Played with Peter Riccardi in the juniors for 2 years. Have very fond memories of watching the VFA on Sundays, working in the hotdog stand with my mum and selling footy records. Those were the days when Phil Cleary put the wind up a few and the Roosters had some red-hot players. Loved playing at the ground, especially during night games under lights.

I used to love training under those lights.

My weeks were full back then. 2 nights training at GW and 2 nights training at north shore. Played on saturday mornings for GW (and I dont remember a hard middle to be honest, all I remember is how much dew and fog there used to be) and I played for the North Shore juniors on the sunday.

Was Goggin coach there before Geelong? I knew he'd coached there but I cant place a time on it.

Was Radojevic the one who used to kick 10 all the time?
Also didn't higgins play there after Geelong? He was the curly haired guy wasn't he? Always liked him for some reason.

Would anyone like to explain any link there was between Geelong and Geelong West Football Clubs?

And vinum, why do you call them Geelong West Red (here in brackets, in another thread without)? Weren't they just Geelong West FC?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few of the greats are listed here

http://www.gwspsc.org/index.php?pgid=30

Joe Radojevic was a freak, used to love watching him play.

Back when we were playing for Nth Shore U/15's a few of us played for GW U/19's. We were playing against blokes 4 times the size of us and used to get hammered by +40 goals every game :D

I remember back at high school watching a cricket match at the ground too, Geelong v West Indies, my teacher was umpiring in the match and gave a few of us free tickets.

Would anyone like to explain any link there was between Geelong and Geelong West Football Clubs?

And vinum, why do you call them Geelong West Red (here in brackets, in another thread without)? Weren't they just Geelong West FC?

In their VFA days, they were known as 'Geelong West Football Club' ('The Roosters')

I'm trying to find a reasonably good quality colour photo/image of their guernsey.....

Source(s):
- 'Club History', Geelong West St Peters Sports Club Official Website. Web Link: http://www.gwspsc.org/index.php?pgid=3 (Accessed: 9 November 2011.)

They weren't known as Geelong West Red.
But there was a Geelong West Blue. Are they gone now?

And people would say who do you play for? Red or Blue?
So I thought it was pertinent.

I'm not sure if there was ever a link between the 2.
But as a Geelong supporter you used to watch them with 'almost' the same purpose as GFC.

After watching Geelong win on a Saturday you'd want GW to win on the Sunday to make a perfect weekend. Or if GFC lost you'd pray GW won so your weekend wasn't complete crap.

I think the fact that some of our players went and played for them helped create a link of sorts.

They weren't known as Geelong West Red.
But there was a Geelong West Blue. Are they gone now?

And people would say who do you play for? Red or Blue?
So I thought it was pertinent.

I'm not sure if there was ever a link between the 2.
But as a Geelong supporter you used to watch them with 'almost' the same purpose as GFC.

After watching Geelong win on a Saturday you'd want GW to win on the Sunday to make a perfect weekend. Or if GFC lost you'd pray GW won so your weekend wasn't complete crap.

I think the fact that some of our players went and played for them helped create a link of sorts.
Interesting. Where did Geelong West Blue play? Is this them? http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/geelong_west_sc.htm

And this is the old Geelong West (VFA), now Geelong West-Saint Peters: http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/geelong_west.htm

Found one (but a modern day player is wearing it.).....

Geelong_West_(350_x_468).jpg

Source(s):
- 'Taste of old West for GFL clash with Newtown', Geelong Advertiser Official Website. Web Link: http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/05/23/72655_geelong_sports.html (Accessed: 9 November 2011.)

Interesting. Where did Geelong West Blue play? Is this them? http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/geelong_west_sc.htm

And this is the old Geelong West (VFA), now Geelong West-Saint Peters: http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/geelong_west.htm

Geelong West Blue play at Bakers Oval on Shannon Avenue.If you know Shannon Avenue it's near shops like Tates Toys and Video Ezy [Church St end of Shannon Ave]

Geelong West St Peters was the team Peter Riccardi played for [and an assistant coach] after he retired.He use to play for St Peters before being recruited by Geelong.

Geelong West Blue play at Bakers Oval on Shannon Avenue.If you know Shannon Avenue it's near shops like Tates Toys and Video Ezy [Church St end of Shannon Ave]

Geelong West St Peters was the team Peter Riccardi played for [and an assistant coach] after he retired.He use to play for St Peters before being recruited by Geelong.
Yeah, so the links were right. Geelong West 'Blue' are in fact Geelong West SC who now reside in the GDFL, whereas Geelong West 'Red' were Geelong West FC in the VFA and now GWSP FC who now play in the GFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong West (red)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back