Geelong West (red)

Remove this Banner Ad

As a Geelong West boy, you either played for Red West or Blue West. As I went to Ashby (then Geelong West PS), most of my mates played for Blue West at Bakers Oval. I was a tiny kid, so sat on the bench for many games during one year at blue west in the u12s. Flipped over to the Roosters after that coz my mum (bless!) thought I'd get a better go- which I did. Most of the kids at Blue were locals, whereas the Reds drew a much wider crowd from Geelong West all the way out to Corio and Lara, many were kids who wanted to move on from their local clubs.

As a Geelong West boy, you either played for Red West or Blue West. As I went to Ashby (then Geelong West PS), most of my mates played for Blue West at Bakers Oval. I was a tiny kid, so sat on the bench for many games during one year at blue west in the u12s. Flipped over to the Roosters after that coz my mum (bless!) thought I'd get a better go- which I did. Most of the kids at Blue were locals, whereas the Reds drew a much wider crowd from Geelong West all the way out to Corio and Lara, many were kids who wanted to move on from their local clubs.

Much the same story here,I lived in Ann st so kicked a footy around Bakers Oval most nights after school.And joined as a kid late 50s early 60s.

You're right about the track around the ground veedub. A velodrome if I remember correctly. I played a few finals there at U/18 level for werribee centrals. The middle of the ground used to be as hard as a rock as well

I remember playing at West as a kid. The center was a raised square due to the cricket, I would think. And yes it was as hard in the center as rock. It was a velodrome and the bike club rooms were on the Weddel road side of the ground near the entrance, if I recall correctly. When you chased a ball to the boundary, if you hit the bike track you had to keep running until you grabbed the fence. If you tried to stop on the track your stops would slip and you would end up being dumped on your butt. Not a good experience on concrete.

I have some great memories of West playing the likes of Port Melbourne, Dandenong, Preston, Coburg during the halcyon days of the VFA. And who can forget the West supporters rocking the Channel 10 commentary box.

Here's a picture I have scanned up of Bill Goggin in a Geelong West Red uniform. :)

IMG_0005.jpg

I only ever went to that ground once and i will never forget it as long as i live . Only young at the time ,father drove us down from Melbourne -would have been early 70s .Geelong West versus Oakleigh -Goggin was coaching West and Big Bob Johnson (Multiple Melb Premiership player) was Captain and Coach of Oakleigh -and to this day Big BOB is the most awesome sight ive ever seen on a football field-talk about big big -he was fecken Ernormous -left foot kick -flat punt -showed no emotion at all .I can remember it like yesterday-Big Bob lined up at full forward opposed to Damian Teague who was the Geelong West full back -Teague was about 6ft 3inch tall and about 14 stone and Big Bob fair dinkum made him look like a Tooth pick

Just a really dumb question about that ground that everyone seems to have a different answer to.
Pre-City of Greater Geelong days, which council owned that ground, was it City of Geelong West, City of Geelong or Shire of Corio?
I found a really old Melways that says it's City of Geelong, but a few people I know don't agree.

Just a really dumb question about that ground that everyone seems to have a different answer to.
Pre-City of Greater Geelong days, which council owned that ground, was it City of Geelong West, City of Geelong or Shire of Corio?
I found a really old Melways that says it's City of Geelong, but a few people I know don't agree.

I always thought it was the GW City Council- I thought they had sponsored the lights at the ground back in the day, but could be wrong! :p

Sorry for the board intrusion, just thought I'd add to the thread.

I've played on the ground a few times. Played a Grand Final there too. The ground is definitely not too good for injury prone bodies :p. I have dodgy ankles, and they were absolutely destroyed after each game there.
In saying that, if you got a good crowd for your games, the atmosphere was really good while you played.

The middle of that ground is a funny one.

When it's dry - hard as a rock.

When it's wet - so slippery that you wouldn't want to run over it with sneakers on.

That's how I remember it too. When the ball was kicked towards you on the bounce it would just skip straight through. You needed to be ready for it or it was going to go straight through you.

Some great names and great memories in these clips....

[youtube]UQiRsVDlQxM[/youtube]

[youtube]E3MYmrzrWdw[/youtube]

[youtube]HC-4k6Vf7Ck[/youtube]

[youtube]TXC73_oy2u8[/youtube]

[youtube]sKqeFlWYplY[/youtube]

Stephen Wells gets a kick early in this clip....

[youtube]Y8TyLgK2KEw[/youtube]

Bloke who kicks the first goal in this clip went on to bigger things the next year.....

[youtube]fzRR1wJJa3s[/youtube]

[youtube]A8SXa-mDCRU[/youtube]

I used to play for them also, U/16s then they used to push me up to u/19s where we were absolutely thrashed. I think some of our games would be in the Guiness Book of Records. We usually had about 15 players, which just didn't cut the mustard at VFA
U/19 level, especially with a couple of U/16s playing

The seniors were nearly wrapped up at that stage, Radj came out of retirement, I heard prison, but unsure of that.

Loved playing for them, shame they folded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on buddy.
Just because the wife didnt work out...... don't go getting all snotty. :D

I used to play for them also, U/16s then they used to push me up to u/19s where we were absolutely thrashed. I think some of our games would be in the Guiness Book of Records. We usually had about 15 players, which just didn't cut the mustard at VFA

The seniors were nearly wrapped up at that stage, Radj came out of retirement, I heard prison, but unsure of that.

You must have been involved in those games where they were getting flogged by 50 goals week in week out.

I played in one of the u19 games too against Springvale I think and we got beaten by about 30 goals. I absolutely sh&t myself against some of the huge players on the opposition as I was a little 14-15 year old...I can still remember the bus ride where the players stopped at Maccas and then threw pickles all over cars on the highway from the mini bus- sh&t myself then too when a driver pulled the bus over and wanted to take us all on!

Sadly some only remember west in their last years. It must be noted that before North Shore and South Barwon were considered the best 'next' level in Geelong there was the roosters. The club has (I say has considering it is still in existence in some form GWSP) won 33 flags between 1838 and 1988. Gee whiz, think of the players and the football that they played, most notably Goggin, his brother Charlie, Eric Nicholls, David Darkie Harris, Terry Fulton (51, 52), George Goninion, Gilmore, Terry Birght, Brushfield, Bow, Radojevic, Sells, Wells x 2, Yates, Eddy, Gibson, Browne, Mick Higgins (Seans dad), Mark Dahlhaus (Lukes dad), Scarlett (Matts Dad), Gary Malarky, Rex Deeth, local legend Jock Evans (what a player) and even Ron Watt played for West. There was a time when anyone in local footy who was up to the challenge would head over to West oval, unfortunatley I assume the Sunday fixtures meant many only stayed a short time.
Great football families followed West but unfortunatley due to the 'passing through' nature of West many came and many went.
Although the club finished in 1988 it should be noted that they were runners up in 1979 and 83 (both div 1) only 5 years prior.
The club definatley had a mix of blue and white collar, with its followers as previous postings note coming from far and wide in Geelong of all walks of life. Many were tough and uncompromising on the field but proud and reputable off.
The merge of West and St Peters seemed ideal considering St Peters too was built on a foundation of true local support. St Peters started humbly but soon became feared for their competitiveness and close nit unity, much like the North Melbourne of the 70's and 90's. St Peters were a tough unit, again leading upto the merge they had won the GDFL back to back in 80 and 81 (prior to this they were in the GFL), were then promoted back to GFL in 82 and came runners up to the powerful (and expensive Newtown).
I doubt that Bell Post Hill, East Geelong, Drysdale, OG or Ammos could do the same.
Again only 6 years later they too would merge. How quickly things can change!
The current GWSP support is made up of players and families that amazingly many had experience at both clubs, perhaps because they played less than a kilometre apart.
West however should be remembered as a Geelong success story, like many posters have mentioned, fond fond memories, unfortunatley such memories are usually only remembered long after the years they were needed most.:thumbsu:

You must have been involved in those games where they were getting flogged by 50 goals week in week out.

Yep we were. Terrible, terrible way to introduce footy to 14 and 15y.o's up against U/19s. Ridiculous, but no one wanted to play for West anymore, that had been lost on the youth of Geelong for a long time.

I think the development of the U/18s at Geelong, took that focus away. I think if players missed playing for the Falcons, they just wanted to stay at their clubs. VFA wasn't really in their minds.

I played in one of the u19 games too against Springvale I think and we got beaten by about 30 goals. I absolutely sh&t myself against some of the huge players on the opposition as I was a little 14-15 year old...I can still remember the bus ride where the players stopped at Maccas and then threw pickles all over cars on the highway from the mini bus- sh&t myself then too when a driver pulled the bus over and wanted to take us all on!

Well I remember some of those trips too, perhaps we were on the same bus!

Mostly, I remember the older guys smoking joints in the back....no wonder we lost by so much.

Blue west and GWSTP both play on West oval now. I think blue west may still train at Bakers oval but they don't play there anymore.

Played a few grand finals there in juniors for Grovedale and it was a really good ground to play on, besides the cycling track around it.

Played 2 u18 grand finals for Grovey on Kardinia Park as well, and whilst it was a good experience to get to play on an afl ground, I wish the gfl would move there finals back out to West oval as the atmosphere of a packed suburban ground is so much better than the atmosphere of a crowd of 6-700 people at kardinia park.

Sadly some only remember west in their last years. It must be noted that before North Shore and South Barwon were considered the best 'next' level in Geelong there was the roosters. The club has (I say has considering it is still in existence in some form GWSP) won 33 flags between 1838 and 1988. Gee whiz, think of the players and the football that they played, most notably Goggin, his brother Charlie, Eric Nicholls, David Darkie Harris, Terry Fulton (51, 52), George Goninion, Gilmore, Terry Birght, Brushfield, Bow, Radojevic, Sells, Wells x 2, Yates, Eddy, Gibson, Browne, Mick Higgins (Seans dad), Mark Dahlhaus (Lukes dad), Scarlett (Matts Dad), Gary Malarky, Rex Deeth, local legend Jock Evans (what a player) and even Ron Watt played for West. There was a time when anyone in local footy who was up to the challenge would head over to West oval, unfortunatley I assume the Sunday fixtures meant many only stayed a short time.
Great football families followed West but unfortunatley due to the 'passing through' nature of West many came and many went.
Although the club finished in 1988 it should be noted that they were runners up in 1979 and 83 (both div 1) only 5 years prior.
The club definatley had a mix of blue and white collar, with its followers as previous postings note coming from far and wide in Geelong of all walks of life. Many were tough and uncompromising on the field but proud and reputable off.
The merge of West and St Peters seemed ideal considering St Peters too was built on a foundation of true local support. St Peters started humbly but soon became feared for their competitiveness and close nit unity, much like the North Melbourne of the 70's and 90's. St Peters were a tough unit, again leading upto the merge they had won the GDFL back to back in 80 and 81 (prior to this they were in the GFL), were then promoted back to GFL in 82 and came runners up to the powerful (and expensive Newtown).
I doubt that Bell Post Hill, East Geelong, Drysdale, OG or Ammos could do the same.
Again only 6 years later they too would merge. How quickly things can change!
The current GWSP support is made up of players and families that amazingly many had experience at both clubs, perhaps because they played less than a kilometre apart.
West however should be remembered as a Geelong success story, like many posters have mentioned, fond fond memories, unfortunatley such memories are usually only remembered long after the years they were needed most.:thumbsu:

Garry Hamer was another 50 game player for Geelong that had a stint at the Roosters, lucky basted married the good looking sort that lived in weddell rd across from the ground.

While im on good sorts any one remember the 6ft 3in blond that hung around the club in Terry Brights time.:heart:

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong West (red)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back