Certified Legendary Thread GEELONG WINS 2022 GRAND FINAL BY PLENTY

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to add how awesome everyone's Avatars look with the Premiership medal icon.

Very chuffed.

GO Catters

I keep thinking I can’t get more impressed with the leaders of our club and then something else pops up to make me think again.

If you can’t be bothered reading, Joel called Sam Moorfoot personally before his presser to tell him that he was retiring.
Afterwards Tom called Sam personally to make sure he was ok.

09 favourite GF
22 favourite primiership

It's like deciding which of your children is your favourite.

I like them all; I can't bring myself to pick one.

2007 was the droughtbreaker; party time from about ten minutes into the second quarter; just non-stop celebrations.
2009 was the gutsiest. We played a tough, skilled, honourable opponent who gave everything. The purest football of the four, IMO.
2011 was sweet because nobody gave us a chance, and it was a great example of good triumphing over evil.
2022 was amazing. Upstarts like the Tiggers and the Dees come and go, other teams rise and fall, but Geelong are eternal.

I keep thinking I can’t get more impressed with the leaders of our club and then something else pops up to make me think again.

If you can’t be bothered reading, Joel called Sam Moorfoot personally before his presser to tell him that he was retiring.

So Joel dropped him all the way back to birregurra after the grand final? Joel is such a champion of not just our club but the whole AFL. There will only be 1 Joel.

Really hope Joel Selwood's legacy of care and empathy for others is the main take-away from his incredible career.

Yes he was a ruthless win-at-all-costs competitor on the field, but the off-field stuff - man, those standards of decency and humility are worth upholding more than anything else.

In one way it is just ''common'' decency, in another way though, when we see sad, horrible allegations like those coming out of Hawthorn at the moment, or some of Dayne Zorko's conduct as captain of Brisbane this year - it is worth celebrating that we currently have a culture that is able to see beyond the ''results based industry'' bullshit.

I remember a couple of years ago now there was some discussion on this board around Joel Selwood's instructions to the team in relation to throwing sticky sports drinks all over the dressing rooms post-win; the captain actually considered the humble cleaners who would have to deal with the mess afterward.

There were some on this board who hated the fact the boys would no longer splash coloured liquids all over each other, but personally I thought it showed some genuine maturity and respect. Small details, genuine care.

That article just brought me to tears all over again. Can't decide who I love more, Sel or Sammy lmao

Spot on. Winning the flag is enough for me. I don't feel the need to brag or denigrate other teams. They are bloody hard to win as our lord and saviour said. Be humble in victory because most seasons don't end like this.
I actually agree with this as a personal attitude (I may throw a cheeky dig in if I am provoked with something ridiculous) but respect people's rights to express themselves as they see fit - so far as schadenfreude or pointing out some silly opinions from the other side. If they've had tit for tat with people berating them and the Cats for near a decade, it doesn't mean they HAVE to retaliate (the moral high road is a good one) but this is a website made for that silliness too. Nobody has to sit in their Ivory Tower being disgusted by the lack of decorum by their fellow Cats fans. They can stick to the topics they like engaging in, which is what I try to do.

See? Now I almost look like someone turning their nose up at fellow forum members. It feels gross. Unless someone is being disgusting or insulting, let them enjoy what they want.

I actually agree with this as a personal attitude (I may throw a cheeky dig in if I am provoked with something ridiculous) but respect people's rights to express themselves as they see fit - so far as schadenfreude or pointing out some silly opinions from the other side. If they've had tit for tat with people berating them and the Cats for near a decade, it doesn't mean they HAVE to retaliate (the moral high road is a good one) but this is a website made for that silliness too. Nobody has to sit in their Ivory Tower being disgusted by the lack of decorum by their fellow Cats fans. They can stick to the topics they like engaging in, which is what I try to do.

See? Now I almost look like someone turning their nose up at fellow forum members. It feels gross. Unless someone is being disgusting or insulting, let them enjoy what they want.
I totally agree. There is plenty of room to have a cheeky dig or be confident in the side. I'm more alluding to the extreme case we've had to endure over the last few years with Richmond supporters.

Last edited:

2007 was the droughtbreaker; party time from about ten minutes into the second quarter; just non-stop celebrations.
2009 was the gutsiest. We played a tough, skilled, honourable opponent who gave everything. The purest football of the four, IMO.
2011 was sweet because nobody gave us a chance, and it was a great example of good triumphing over evil.
2022 was amazing. Upstarts like the Tiggers and the Dees come and go, other teams rise and fall, but Geelong are eternal.
Great post, but by finals time 2011, I recall or think we were favourites.
Are you referring to preseason estimations?
We smashed Pies at end season, and in fact beat them 3 x for their only 3 losses that season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mostly agree with this post, but in 2011 we were actually the favourites in the GF (in the betting odds). We’d played Collingwood twice in the H&A season and beaten them both times, including a 96 point shellacking in around 24, so whilst nobody was sure of who would win the GF, we certainly were the favourites.

Inspirational, truly inspirational- just makes you want to be a better person💕

THIS TIME LAST WEEK.....

Winning a premiership is truly such an awesome experience- relief, jubilation, pride...

High fives with multiple complete strangers all of the same faith...

It is pretty addictive- I thought if we could snare this one, I would be satiated, but, no. It would be SO GOOD to go BTB.

But then the altruist in me says that it may be nice for teams that have not tasted this- Saints, Freo etc to share this feeling as well.

Nevertheless, I find myself intrigued about our trade period and really hankering for Ollie Henry.

THIS TIME LAST WEEK.....

Winning a premiership is truly such an awesome experience- relief, jubilation, pride...

High fives with multiple complete strangers all of the same faith...

It is pretty addictive- I thought if we could snare this one, I would be satiated, but, no. It would be SO GOOD to go BTB.

But then the altruist in me says that it may be nice for teams that have not tasted this- Saints, Freo etc to share this feeling as well.

Nevertheless, I find myself intrigued about our trade period and really hankering for Ollie Henry.
What makes it more special is no one expected it after 12 months ago. That's why 1 week on it's like....yep closure was cargi night but wow it's still so raw.

Last edited:
Great post, but by finals time 2011, I recall or think we were favourites.
Are you referring to preseason estimations?
We smashed Pies at end season, and in fact beat them 3 x for their only 3 losses that season.

I think Pies were still just pipping us in terms of being favourites. As a Cats supporter, for the first time in a GF, I was very confident off the back of our prep compared to the Pies.

geelong are my second team, can i celebrate too!!

BoilingSilkyAmericanmarten-max-1mb.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread GEELONG WINS 2022 GRAND FINAL BY PLENTY

Remove this Banner Ad

Back