Certified Legendary Thread GEELONG WINS 2022 GRAND FINAL BY PLENTY

Remove this Banner Ad

Perfect combination of hungry old players desperate for a flag and no longer ‘phoning it in’ and a cohort of hungry talented new guys up for the challenge. Probably won’t ever get any better than this.

yep - how can this team have a better moment than this - will
need to be some new faces and rolls next year

Supreme team/club performance. Remarkably well managed both on and off field. Everything played a part to have us click at the right time. Such an amazingly even team from mid year on when we started to get rolling. It was never easy to pick an absolute best one, two or even three players and was the same in the final series.

I knew the minute that happened, that they'd lose their s**t all over again.

They continually act like they're in our head constantly, but the truth is, we've forever headfu*cked them and they'll forever have an inferiority complex

Why are they so obsessed with us? I feel like I've missed some important events that kicked off this strange "rivalry".

Sometimes reality can be stranger than fiction. Especially when you're a cats fan!

Honestly, I'm not sure I fully got to absorb the occasion yesterday. I was pretty overcome by the anxiety of losing on the big stage again. After all this club has been through in the last decade, you couldn't blame me for being a bit pessimistic. It's been a nightmare.

And somehow this club comes out yesterday and delivers that ridiculous fairytale. How did they do it? Nobody could reasonably say they saw that result in the works.

We obliterated Sydney. It started in the middle. Rhys Stanley was just a rampaging angry thug in the guts. Wouldn't take no for an answer. And then there was Dangerfield, winning clearances on all-fours and ripping the ball out of his opponents hands and dishing off in a microsecond to his team mates. The stoppage work was a clinic. Blicavs was very good in there early.

Then there was Stewart, asserting himself and laying huge contested hits on their players. That massive hit on Papley - I wish you could bottle that and sell it. That made me very firm.

Tyson Stengle - gotta be one of the best pick-ups in the history of afl. Likewise, one of the worst blunders to delist him. That'll haunt Richmond and Adelaide forever. Amazing.

Jack Henry and SDK on Franklin - what a cherry on top to see that lumbering gold-digger held goalless - no impact whatsoever.

Tom Hawkins - kicking early goals to set us up and just not being denied. His contested work is the best in the comp.

Smith - what a performance. 770 metres gained in a grand final and three goals. More metres gained than the BOTTOM TEN Sydney players. That's just a complete reaming.

And the skipper. Was overwhelming seeing what it means to him. We've gotta appreciate just how lucky we were for witnessing this result. Of all the players who deserve a fairytale like this, he's the one at the top of the pile. Has given everything to the GFC and today the club gave it back to him in spades.

Finally, that's payback for 2005. That final has burned in my guts for the better part of twenty years. Today we punched them back, emphatically. They were embarrassed on the biggest stage with ferocity, poise, composure and unrelenting effort. It was a miracle to behold.

I didn't see this coming at all. In my eyes, it wipes the slate clean and then some. Congratulations, boys. The greatest team of all.

Why are they so obsessed with us? I feel like I've missed some important events that kicked off this strange "rivalry".
It's the desperation they have to be admired as much as the great clubs (hawthorn / geelong / Brisbane)
They are like the tiny kid in class who scraps for recognition because he's never the first one anybody thinks of. It's a relevancy complex. The fact that they've fallen off a cliff makes it worse.

GEELONG 2022 PREMIERS

JOEL SELWOOD IS A PREMIERSHIP CAPTAIN AND 4 TIME FLAG WINNER

PFD WINS A FLAG

CHRIS SCOTT WINS A SECOND FLAG!!

STENGLE from DFA to Premiership player with 53 goals.

STANLEY, MIERS, ZUTHRIE, TOMMA ISAAC SMITH....

KOLO, Stewy, CLOSE!!!

LUV THIS TEAM... LUV THIS CLUB... LUV THE COACHES

AND CREDIT TO ALL THE PAST PLAYERS WHO BUILT UP TO THIS....

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU CONTEND EVERY YEAR

ENJOY IT CATS FANS!!!!

THE SYSTEM IS DESIGNED TO STOP THIS

TOO OLD

TOO SLOW

TOO ******* GOOD GEELONG

WE ARE GEELONG THE GREATEST TEAM OF ALL
WE ARE GEELONG
WE'RE ALWAYS ON THE BALL
WE PLAY THE GAME AS IT SHOULD BE PLAYED
AT HOME OR FAR AWAY
OUR BANNERS FLY HIGH
FROM DAWN TO DARK
DOWN AT KARDINIA PARK

GO CATTERS
Just brilliant !!!
And brilliant all year - thanks Daz for your great summaries.

Just rewatched the match and some of the player ratings have Tuohy way lower than he should be.

So many 40m worm burners that hit the target and give the oppo no chance of getting near it.

He hit a monster switch in the 3rd that hit Duncan on the chest that no one else bites off and yet site were rating him a 5 😐

It's the desperation they have to be admired as much as the great clubs (hawthorn / geelong / Brisbane)
They are like the tiny kid in class who scraps for recognition because he's never the first one anybody thinks of. It's a relevancy complex. The fact that they've fallen off a cliff makes it worse.

Equal with Hawthorn as the best team over the last 16 years - 3 pfft...try 4 you whinging crybabies :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
This is a please explain.

At the end of Q3, with about 2mins, Kennedy runs too far. Turnover. Cameron consoles him. What a guy?

Why was there a 50m paid against Kennedy?

Turned on ‘CC’ to read commentary. Heeney threw is hands in the air, was penalised, why?

Heeney, not Kennedy.

BT 🤪 “He’s given away the 50, too”

Geelong history buffs, or AFL Rule buffs, is that usual?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of Q3, with about 2mins, Kennedy runs too far. Turnover. Cameron consoles him. What a guy?

Turned on ‘CC’ to read commentary. Heeney threw is hands in the air, was penalised, why?

Heeney, not Kennedy.

Umpire didn't actuly say what it was for. He might have held the ball too long before giving it back to Cameron. Or it might've been for remonstration. Similar to the Lever incident in the Semi

I’m going to remember this game as a celebration of the careers of 2 giants of the game. Joel Selwood and Paddy Dangerfield. Never have I been so emotional watching a game of footy. These 2 have given so much to our club and to the game.

For Paddy to have not won a flag in his career would have been a travesty. But fairytales often don’t eventuate. For it to have finally arrived yesterday and for him to be one of the leading characters in its narrative is just brilliant. I couldn’t be more happy for him.

As for Joel. Well what can you say? He embodies everything you imagined as a kid that a real footballer was. A warrior. Brave. Loyal. Committed. Unyielding. I feel very fortunate to have witnessed the career of G.Ablett snr as a young man. To be able to watch Joel’s career was an absolute privilege.

I had doubts last year after the Prelim that the game had passed him by. That he would have every right to retire. But champions, true champions can give when there’s not much more to give. Extract every last drop out of themselves. He’s done that. What a career. What a legend.

To have the compassion to carry young Ablett out onto the ground then compose himself to smash the opposition in the first quarter just shows everything about this guy in 30 minutes.

Heeney, not Kennedy.

It was actually Warner, and I'm pretty sure it was because he didn't give the ball back in time.

Geez imagine this time two years ago if someone told you Isaac Smith would win the 2022 Norm Smith.

Most on this board would not have been happy at all with that. 😂
He is a Geelong man now and Hawthorn is having a bad enough week already. Don't rub it in on those poor supporters.

He is a Geelong man now and Hawthorn is having a bad enough week already. Don't rub it in on those poor supporters.
Yes, he is. What a champ.

Next morning vibes, I always thought 2011 was like the pinnacle of after GF win feelings (2007 being complete shock, and 09 was just draining and relief) but yesterdays game is my new favourite.

To do it to a side like Sydney, to play a complete game all around the ground, maintaining pressure up until the last few minutes, all the stories from the game (Sel, Danger, Stengle, Smithy) this for me has just been the most satisfying of all.

Firstly as Cursed Cat (thks cc)... said ... congrats to all .. those inside and outside.... those who delivered the bumps and rode them.... those who played and those who missed out , those were managed...and those who did the managing... those who's commentary was about faith and others who wanted change ..... because that performance resonated all of that. This was one that had something for everyone...

Just about every player was brutally fit. They played like they were fresh and the their opponents found out what it was like to be between a rock and hard place... and yet do rocks cry? What an example of brotherhood and bond... Smith at his presser exemplified the look across the field. Most players played close to their best .. but everyone contributed and the enjoyment gained was about self..but it was also about the enjoyment of team mates....

Finally ..premiership in his first year ....... Premiership in his last ? Not sure but ...

several CV's were re-written today ... his required no addition but he added to it anyway... JS Take bow ..its been a privilege.

Finally Double figures..... Yeah Baby.....

happy birthday loop GIF by Slanted Studios
Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Happy Party GIF by App in the Air

Last edited:
Boys Girls Guys Gals Fellas Brothers Sisters...
Just like to say. I've read all the write ups last night and early this morning.
Plenty of love flowing on the board as it was in G Town last night.
Just want to say.
Love This Team Love The Town.
Born Bred Work and Live here.
Living the Dream at the moment.
Drink Eat and be Merry!!
As...

WE ARE GEELONG THE GREATEST TEAM OF ALL

33 years of the AFL.
17 Prelims.
9 Grannies.
4 AFL Cups

Remove this Banner Ad