Geelong's fans booing the umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

This post is a lie.
Ballantyne, Milne and Judd are players that get booed. Hird, Richardson and Brown never got booed unless they have played the antagonist throughout the match. The Subi crowd is no different to any other stadium except that all the fans are for the one team.
Brown, Aka always got booed. No point denying it champ.

been to a lot of games at subi involving west coast and the booing there is not just for umpires....good players from opposing teams get a boo (though not as raucous as the free kick boo) for just being, well good. Hird, richardson , judd (a little understandably, has been years now)...horrible behavior from west coast fans, the stereotype is that they are chardonnay sipping, i believe that the majority are the older xenophobic bogan who is so xenophobic they dislike people not from their own state...

That's absolute horsesh!t. Judas yes, but no way would we boo richardson or hird. Hird is a champion and when he played his last game over here we actually presented he and sheeds with a jersey and gave them a big send off, it was a great moment and one i'm sure they and i will remember forever. I'm happy to cop this one eyed booing umpires crap on the chin, every fan does it and if it means my team will win i'll do it every day of the week no apologies, but dont come on here spinning utter crap

They were all justified, some bemusing decisions today. They were commenting on how bad the umpires were on air too. It didn't help that the fans were frustrated at the way we were playing as well.

Why do the Eagles continue to get singled out on the main board for having obnoxious fans who boo everything, as though we're the only one?

I was raised in Melbourne and have been to all the AFL grounds there including all of the old VFL grounds. I have also lived in Perth for 10 years and in Adelaide for 7 years and been to their respective grounds.

People in Perth and Adelaide have what I call "Small State Syndrome". It's the equivalent of small man syndrome. They are very insecure about their place in the world and regard the eastern states with fear, loathing, suspicion and envy. This is a very real phenomenon here in SA and in WA, and it explains the hysterical, childish behaviour of the crowds here and way out west. The crowds remind me of kids at a Punch & Judy puppet show, hissing and booing at the villain and yaying and clapping the hero.

It's laughable and a bit sad.

I was raised in Melbourne and have been to all the AFL grounds there including all of the old VFL grounds. I have also lived in Perth for 10 years and in Adelaide for 7 years and been to their respective grounds.

People in Perth and Adelaide have what I call "Small State Syndrome". It's the equivalent of small man syndrome. They are very insecure about their place in the world and regard the eastern states with fear, loathing, suspicion and envy. This is a very real phenomenon here in SA and in WA, and it explains the hysterical, childish behaviour of the crowds here and way out west. The crowds remind me of kids at a Punch & Judy puppet show, hissing and booing at the villain and yaying and clapping the hero.

Take it to the bay you turkey.

been to a lot of games at subi involving west coast and the booing there is not just for umpires....good players from opposing teams get a boo (though not as raucous as the free kick boo) for just being, well good. Hird, richardson , judd (a little understandably, has been years now)...horrible behavior from west coast fans, the stereotype is that they are chardonnay sipping, i believe that the majority are the older xenophobic bogan who is so xenophobic they dislike people not from their own state...

Good lord, you really have no idea. Pull your pants up and put your teeth back in. It's not our fault you utterly chocked yesterday. A Richmond fan talking about fan behaviour is a little rich but let me educate you a little...

Western Australians are generally loud barrackers who love a good spray. So are Victorians but apparently it's endearing when they do it. It's hilarious that I used to read on here until very recently that we were too quiet and all yuppies. I'm sure this had more to do with TV sound mixing - my section isn't very quiet.

Judd is fairly obvious - Premiership Captain who walked out. Doh. You haven't had one of those in two generations so you probably don't get the pain this causes. The Judd hate has gotten worse in the last two years as our love has now completely worn off PLUS it's the only way the average fan can let him know he's picked the wrong side and won't win another premiership. We weren't sure 2008 - 2010. It is very important to the average Eagles fan that Judd is retired by the next Carlton flag. When he comes back in 2016 for the renunion he will be clapped plenty.

Hird had personally destroyed the Eagles on a number of occasions and ruined finals chances. Lots of history. It's why we yelled at him... and gave him and Sheedy the biggest send-off we could. His final exit from Subi as a player was to rapturous applause. We respected him. I don't think Hird was crying into his pillow. He was a champion.

Speaking of champions... Richardson, I hardly remember. Stager who used to whine and yell at our and his own players. That the bloke? :rolleyes:

Lol from a state who whenever the Eagles are threatning create yet another 'conspiracy theory'

What is it this week..ducking, chucking, wa umpires, not shaking the little kids hands:confused:
Your post once again reinforces the fact Victoria is an irony free state

Good lord, you really have no idea. Pull your pants up and put your teeth back in. It's not our fault you utterly chocked yesterday. A Richmond fan talking about fan behaviour is a little rich but let me educate you a little...

Western Australians are generally loud barrackers who love a good spray. So are Victorians but apparently it's endearing when they do it. It's hilarious that I used to read on here until very recently that we were too quiet and all yuppies. I'm sure this had more to do with TV sound mixing - my section isn't very quiet.

Judd is fairly obvious - Premiership Captain who walked out. Doh. You haven't had one of those in two generations so you probably don't get the pain this causes. The Judd hate has gotten worse in the last two years as our love has now completely worn off PLUS it's the only way the average fan can let him know he's picked the wrong side and won't win another premiership. We weren't sure 2008 - 2010. It is very important to the average Eagles fan that Judd is retired by the next Carlton flag. When he comes back in 2016 for the renunion he will be clapped plenty.

Hird had personally destroyed the Eagles on a number of occasions and ruined finals chances. Lots of history. It's why we yelled at him... and gave him and Sheedy the biggest send-off we could. His final exit from Subi as a player was to rapturous applause. We respected him. I don't think Hird was crying into his pillow. He was a champion.

Speaking of champions... Richardson, I hardly remember. Stager who used to whine and yell at our and his own players. That the bloke? :rolleyes:

im not a massive poster on here and i dont hate much in the realm of the AFL but crowds at subi, be it freo or WCE are one that riles me.

i wouldnt say WA supporter loud barrackers, subiaco is utterly silent for large portions of the game, all your old members are sitting there with 6PR cranked up and turn around disgustedly if you move suddenly or yell out. people boo free kicks even those obvious holding the ball ones or the coat hanger tackles.

i remember specific games (i was at the ground) in the mid 2000s when richardson was booed when he got the ball ,buckley would would be booed, hird was given a rapturous exit at his last game at subi and rightly so but more often than not he was booed when he got the ball at subi.

and dont resort to childish shit like your team lost yesterday, hate that shit more so than anything...what are you? 15? oh the tigers lost, ill be inconsolable for weeks now...sword

That's absolute horsesh!t. Judas yes, but no way would we boo richardson or hird. Hird is a champion and when he played his last game over here we actually presented he and sheeds with a jersey and gave them a big send off, it was a great moment and one i'm sure they and i will remember forever. I'm happy to cop this one eyed booing umpires crap on the chin, every fan does it and if it means my team will win i'll do it every day of the week no apologies, but dont come on here spinning utter crap

you did and i was there to hear it...throw buckley into that mix as well

the send off for hird was great, doesnt mean the crowds there didnt boo him whenever he got the pill before that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being a Victorian yet a WC supporter I can honestly say that yes, there is an undercurrent of dislike or paranoia whenever WC do well.

The media here love to hate WC and they provide a convenient bad guy, it sells papers. TBH it is more a media contrivance and a vestige of resentment left over with older fans, than anything too real.

It was white hot in the early 90's, but now more just pops back up when WC do well, or are viewed as having some kind of advantage. They are the classic enemy from without, whether it be interstate invaders, SOO side, PED users, lairs and casual drug users, not shaking kids hands, the need for a cap on footy department spending, tanking, ducking, throwing, hometown umpiring, the crowds.... there is always something in the media over here, mostly negative because positive WC stories don't really rate a mention.

I think this was best highlighted with Walls and his good v evil billing of the Sydney/WC grandfinal. Sydney were the long suffering South Melbourne side. Perennial underdogs, there was a genuine element of romance about a Sydney GF. WC were the brash upstart interstate success story, the first interstate side to win a VFL(AFL) GF, they were the evil empire, a juggernaut, that no one in the press over here with memories of the 90's wanted to see re-awoken.

When we aren't up and about our crowds are criticised as being passionless white collar Chardonnay sipping fogies, when we are it's feral parochial bogans who sway games. Simply put a menace. There is still a strong underlying sense of entitlement back east. Just watching Darcy etc. a couple of weeks ago celebrate the same behaviour from an Essendon home crowd was hilarious. Comments like there is nothing better when X crowd is up and about and it is a glorious sight, blah blah blah, highlight the double standards in a very Vic centric football media based on a resentment that has never fully left.

Being a Victorian yet a WC supporter I can honestly say that yes, there is an undercurrent of dislike or paranoia whenever WC do well.

The media here love to hate WC and they provide a convenient bad guy, it sells papers. TBH it is more a media contrivance and a vestige of resentment left over with older fans, than anything too real.

It was white hot in the early 90's, but now more just pops back up when WC do well, or are viewed as having some kind of advantage. They are the classic enemy from without, whether it be interstate invaders, SOO side, PED users, lairs and casual drug users, not shaking kids hands, the need for a cap on footy department spending, tanking, ducking, throwing, hometown umpiring, the crowds.... there is always something in the media over here, mostly negative because TBH positive WC stories don't really rate a mention.

I think this was best highlighted with Walls and his good v evil billing of the Sydney/WC grandfinal. Sydney were the long suffering South Melbourne side. Perennial underdogs, there was a genuine element of romance about a Sydney GF. WC were the brash upstart interstate success story, the first interstate side to win a VFL(AFL) GF, they were the evil empire, a juggernaut, that no one in the press over here with memories of the 90's wanted to see re-awoken.

When we aren't up and about our crowds are criticised as being passionless white collar Chardonnay sipping fogies, when we are it's feral parochial bogans who sway games. Simply put a menace. There is still a strong underlying sense of entitlement back east. Just watching Darcy etc. a couple of weeks ago celebrate the same behaviour from an Essendon home crowd was hilarious. Comments like there is nothing better when X crowd is up and about and it is a glorious sight, blah blah blah, highlight the double standards in a very Vic centric football media.

a lot of that stuff is probably right, dont live in vic and never have so cant confirm or deny any of that.

however the subi crowds remain the same, been to a lot of games at subi in the last 10 years, seen WCE and freo and different stages of success and failure but i think it is very fair to say that the crowds remain a constant besides the fact they rarely show up anywhere near the member numbers that WCE and freo boast. unknowledgeable, not overly passionate and eerily quiet for massive chunks of the game.

Umpire booing is loud at every match this year. The rules and umpiring are farcical, the fans have a right to boo.

im not a massive poster on here and i dont hate much in the realm of the AFL but crowds at subi, be it freo or WCE are one that riles me.

i wouldnt say WA supporter loud barrackers, subiaco is utterly silent for large portions of the game, all your old members are sitting there with 6PR cranked up and turn around disgustedly if you move suddenly or yell out. people boo free kicks even those obvious holding the ball ones or the coat hanger tackles.

i remember specific games (i was at the ground) in the mid 2000s when richardson was booed when he got the ball ,buckley would would be booed, hird was given a rapturous exit at his last game at subi and rightly so but more often than not he was booed when he got the ball at subi.

and dont resort to childish shit like your team lost yesterday, hate that shit more so than anything...what are you? 15? oh the tigers lost, ill be inconsolable for weeks now...sword

"Childish shit", Mr "All West Coast Fans Are Petulant Xenophobic Bogans"? I really don't think you can claim intellectual or moral superiority now.

So... you've been to individual games at Subi in the mid-2000s? Thank god you've got recent experience not morphed by time and dislike of West Australians :rolleyes:

I imagine there might have been individual games that Richo got booed. I don't remember them off the top of my head. Maybe he did something that particular game that annoyed us? Same with Buckley. This sort of has happened with some Eagles players, you know. Chris Lewis got booed often, for example. I can assure you that the fans had no plan for Richo or Buckley... unlike Aker or Hird.

Do you think players get upset by being booed? Do you think it upsets them? Unless it's your own supporters, it's a sign of respect and normally just riles you up to play better. That was the effect on me and I'm a fat no-hoper who never played past 16. Judd probably just laughs into his chequebook. He doesn't strike me as a guy who lets anything bar injury effect his performance.

Are you watching the Saints and Norf game? I hear booing... but it's not at Subiaco. And some of the boos aren't justified. OMIGAWD.

you did and i was there to hear it...throw buckley into that mix as well

the send off for hird was great, doesnt mean the crowds there didnt boo him whenever he got the pill before that
I'll agree to disagree, my section never booed those guys. Yelled in frustration at Hird when he dominated us, yes, laughed at Richo when he kicked it out on the full yes, but certainly not boo.

As for Buckley no excuses there I've definitely booed the shit out of him.

I think at any game there's going to be pockets of feral rednecks, just yesterday I was in a different seat than normal at the WC/GC game on the broadcast side and oh my god, I can see where the chardonnay sipper limp-wristed tag comes from. I could literally hear the drinks fridges humming. Admittedly it was a snore fest of a game but still, you could hear a pin drop! I even got up at one stage to piss and got growled at by a fellow Eagles member... DOWN IN FRONT!!! Ease up turbo! SO yeah, point is there's dickheads everywhere

a lot of that stuff is probably right, dont live in vic and never have so cant confirm or deny any of that.

however the subi crowds remain the same, been to a lot of games at subi in the last 10 years, seen WCE and freo and different stages of success and failure but i think it is very fair to say that the crowds remain a constant besides the fact they rarely show up anywhere near the member numbers that WCE and freo boast. unknowledgeable, not overly passionate and eerily quiet for massive chunks of the game.
Trust me mate, crowds over here are just as bad. In fact a large Essendon crowd is probably the worst.

Generally it is not as noticeable on a telecast, not many teams regularly fill the larger sized stadiums, there are often more neutral fans and even with sellout games you still get a degree of crowd polarity. The difference though is especially noticeable when say a WC plays one of the less well supported teams. A few times at Etihad in 2011/2011 I have heard an Eagles chant ring out. When I go back and watch the telecast it quite noticeable.

Lewis was probably the second-dirtiest player I have ever seen. His favourite hobby was flying knees-first into players who were already on the ground. Nice guy.
What with all the racial vilification he copped from luminaries such as Tony Shaw and Gary Lyon.

The crowds in Victoria also used to be disgusting in this regard. Much, much worse than WAFL crowds back in WA.

I think the OP, though being a thinly veiled (if at all veiled) whinge, is accurate. Every team's supporters boo the umpires and naturally it comes across more at home games for interstate teams and Geelong, where it may as well be interstate. I'm an AFL member and go to a lot of games. Thus far I've been to four Collingwood games this season and three Carlton games (the most non-Geelong games I've gone to) and at each one of these their supporters have bronx cheered the umps "finally" giving them a free kick. With the Pies games, they've always been up by 5 goals!

The umpiring standard is deplorable, thus people boo, let alone when you get a crowd that's 80% for one team, of course they'll jeer anything that goes against them. I try not to personally but it happens. Anybody who claims their team's supporters don't jeer umpiring calls as much as the next is either lying or biased.

"Childish shit", Mr "All West Coast Fans Are Petulant Xenophobic Bogans"? I really don't think you can claim intellectual or moral superiority now.

So... you've been to individual games at Subi in the mid-2000s? Thank god you've got recent experience not morphed by time and dislike of West Australians :rolleyes:

I imagine there might have been individual games that Richo got booed. I don't remember them off the top of my head. Maybe he did something that particular game that annoyed us? Same with Buckley. This sort of has happened with some Eagles players, you know. Chris Lewis got booed often, for example. I can assure you that the fans had no plan for Richo or Buckley... unlike Aker or Hird.

Do you think players get upset by being booed? Do you think it upsets them? Unless it's your own supporters, it's a sign of respect and normally just riles you up to play better. That was the effect on me and I'm a fat no-hoper who never played past 16. Judd probably just laughs into his chequebook. He doesn't strike me as a guy who lets anything bar injury effect his performance.

Are you watching the Saints and Norf game? I hear booing... but it's not at Subiaco. And some of the boos aren't justified. OMIGAWD.

was referring to the mid 2000s because that is when hird, richo and buckley were playing....it doesnt upset the players probably inspires them more, i think it is extraordinarily poor taste.

chris lewis was as dirty as they come, the booing doesnt bother me as much in these instances.

the saints norf game is booing at poor umpire decisions, im discussing booing specific players, irrelevant.

i was born in WA and grew up in WA. have seen a variety of games in different states involving different teams and i have to say that subi crowds are by far the most intriguing, bizarre, odd...whatever you want to call it.

i am borderline obsessed with the way fans at subi behave, it is just so very different to the other parts of the country, i am mostly comparing this to tigers home games, the tigers fans are as feral as they come, quick to turn on their own but irrepressible when a win is on the cards whereas the fans at subi are so low key and so eerily quiet until they boo and they clap vigorously and thats it. its like an opera at times

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong's fans booing the umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back