geelongs next captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

ok before i get people digging in the "its just one loss" claws, i'm not saying that harley isnt a great captain, i just didnt see much leadership out there from anyone except for gazza, yet ive never heard anyone rate him as a future captain. why is this? who is better placed?

Getting 29 touches and making great runs down the wing doesnt make you a leader, it makes you have an impact on the game. Leader's talk to their players how are we supposed to judge who's the best leader when all we see is 2 hours a week of them without sound. We cant judge.

yeah, i dont think i was that harsh, but who is our second in command?
ling as captain? cause when the pressure has been on us it hasnt been harley getting us over the line.

what a load of rubbish. back yourself up with something concrete here, or i'm calling you out for a total pratt :mad:

we've had one loss this season, and are the reigning premiers for the first time in 4 decades. with tom harley as our captain, pratt!

since harley's return from injury last year we only lost one match for that entire season, including pobably at least a dozen that were played under intense pressure, and who do you credit for getting us over the line in all of those??!!

people seem to think the captaincy is a popularity contest amongst the fans, rather than the brutal, accountable public face of the club that it requires.

harley's the first player in my memory that didn't suffer the fate of the poisoned geelong curse that befell all of his predecessors - king, graham (colbert!) etc.

not only is harley fantastic with media and public relations, but he's inspirational to the players. watch the prematch and break time chemistry, and tell me i'm wrong. or point me to a shred of evidence that suggests it, such as a player, official or anyone actively involved with the club that supports this..??

or just admit that you're one of the weak minded bandwagon hopping tools that need a scapegoat whenever things aren't perfect the way you'd hoped.:thumbsdown:

Very hard to decide, but agree with most that Ablett, Chapman and Ling would be close. I personally would like to see Milburn captain. He is such a consistent performer and veteran and very well respected at the club. I feel he has the passion and respect that most captains have. Even if it was just for a year or two.

I think after this years performances it would have to be Gaz. Maybe later Selwood.

So on the one hand you declare that a captain should be appointed based on performance.... then....

Still, for now, Harley is definitely the guy.

You say Harley is the man for the job. Statistically in the bottom 5 players in the side this year and last. :confused:

I don't care who becomes captain... As long as dead wood Harley retires and gives his role to Taylor or the like, I'll be happy.
I would prefer Ablett as he has shown a lot of great leadership signs ON and off the ground. Spends a lot of time with the young blokes at training and highly respected player.

I would like to see Jimmy get a run at captain. Got a lot of leadership quality and personally reckon he'd have a better go at captain than Ablett.

Chappy will probably end up being next captain but then I reckon Bartel will be after Chappy.

Chapman was the man that set the tone last year
He plays with passion and delerves it
Next comes Gary
If Egan was playing would Harley get a game?
He has trouble with the monster forwards and can not handle the quicks

In three years time Selwood hands down

Our future leadership options will not let the club down

Chapman was the man that set the tone last year
He plays with passion and delerves it
Next comes Gary
If Egan was playing would Harley get a game?
He has trouble with the monster forwards and can not handle the quicks

In three years time Selwood hands down

Our future leadership options will not let the club down

Harley has been solid if not good all year. To think he wouldn't get a game is ridiculous. Missed 8 games last year and finished with exactly same number of Carji votes as said All Australian CHB.

Martyk, what's this statistically bottom 5 rubbish?

Gee, some supporters are unbelievable. Tom was instrumental in delivering you your first premiership in 44 years and after the third loss he's been involved in from 25 odd games, some people come up with this cr@p.

To be honest, Harley should probably retire at the end of this season or next season. His onfield role (besides being captain) seems to be a backup for the CHB position if Taylor goes down or if we need to play on 3 talls but even then Milburn would probably be the 3rd tall. If Egan was fit and firing, Taylor would probably replace Harley.

I reckon Harley's contribution to our on-field performance is undervalued. He is one of the best readers of the game in our side. Why do you think he is so regularly in teh right place at the right time to take a defensive mark. I know martyk will probably come in and say, "he's too slow, so he's on his own and it's just luck that the ball comes straight to him".:rolleyes:

Tom is a great leader off the field, both within our club and with the media.
He is also holding his place in the defensive structure even without his 'captain' hat on.

Guys like Renegade and martyk were defending Josh Hunt's place in the side when he was playing far worse than Harley is currently.

To answer the thread question:

2009 - Harley
2010 - Ling or Chapman
2011 - Ling or Chapman
2012 - Selwood
2013 - Selwood
2014 - Selwood
2015 - Selwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Harley's contribution to our on-field performance is undervalued. He is one of the best readers of the game in our side. Why do you think he is so regularly in teh right place at the right time to take a defensive mark. I know martyk will probably come in and say, "he's too slow, so he's on his own and it's just luck that the ball comes straight to him".:rolleyes:

Tom is a great leader off the field, both within our club and with the media.
He is also holding his place in the defensive structure even without his 'captain' hat on.

Guys like Renegade and martyk were defending Josh Hunt's place in the side when he was playing far worse than Harley is currently.

To answer the thread question:

2009 - Harley
2010 - Ling or Chapman
2011 - Ling or Chapman
2012 - Selwood
2013 - Selwood
2014 - Selwood
2015 - Selwood
harley gets a crap load of uncontested marks because he is loose/thirdman.
i think he is the perfect captain, strong, honest, smart and articulate but what does he offer on the field... sorry to bag the captain but atm, he is struggling, and egan would push him

harley gets a crap load of uncontested marks because he is loose/thirdman.
i think he is the perfect captain, strong, honest, smart and articulate but what does he offer on the field... sorry to bag the captain but atm, he is struggling, and egan would push him

agree that he gets marks because he is often loose/third man. However, he also regularly beats his opponent, even in contested marks.
His weakness is clearly when on a smaller, quicker, leading opponent who is getting good delivery (see Pies game Friday night for example). Not many defenders in the league would have fared much better than Harley in that situation.

Just like all those who are predicting our season is over as a knee-jerk reaction, I believe that calling for Harley to be dropped on his game against the Pies is an over-reaction.

Odd that no one has mentioned Scarlett, not even to discount him!
good point, he is our best experienced kp player, though he is the same age as harley so there is not much point... probably not the best off field influence on the team, not a blight on the man, but i don't think it will happen.

Straight to Selwood after Harley is finished I reckon.

Exactly what i think... Harley (imo) is doing a good job as captain... & when he's done (proble 2-3 years) i like the idea of having a young respected captain who'll do a nice job for many years... Selwood will be about 21-22 when i think Harley will step down & i think that's the perfect time (should be hitting a nice football maturity) for him to step up

Remove this Banner Ad

geelongs next captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back