No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was never a great fan of Commetti. I think he was guilty of just as many ridiculous comments as other commentators but seemed to escape criticism. Could never work that out. My personal favourite was when the Hawks lost a game to West Coast early in 1991 and he said Hawthorn came face to face with their future and it wasn't pretty. Hawks went on to win the flag ... against his beloved West Coast :)
Commetti even though as great a commentator he was was extremely biased against Hawthorn.
Listen to a lot of his comments in our games makes a lot of snide remarks V HFC.
We must of done something to him who knows?

I was never a great fan of Commetti. I think he was guilty of just as many ridiculous comments as other commentators but seemed to escape criticism. Could never work that out. My personal favourite was when the Hawks lost a game to West Coast early in 1991 and he said Hawthorn came face to face with their future and it wasn't pretty. Hawks went on to win the flag ... against his beloved West Coast :)

Very satisyfing the way it worked out I agree, but having been there that day at Princes Park I was inclined to agree with him. It was not pretty at all! We got utterly smashed that day. 80 odd points from memory.

This is probably a sign of an unhealthy hatred but I’ve almost got the same sort of game day nerves as I would if it was us lining up tonight.
So much rides on tonight’s result, we never want Selwood, Ablett and Co. to match our legendary 4-timers

I want Geelong to lose as much as the next Hawks supporter... but isn't Selwood the only player left that was there for 2007/2009/2011?
Ablett was at GC in 2011 so he wouldn't be getting a 4th.

I want Geelong to lose as much as the next Hawks supporter... but isn't Selwood the only player left that was there for 2007/2009/2011?
Yeh, I think it's just Selwood. Taylor missed 2007, Ablett 2011 and I think Hawkins missed one or two of them.

Ahh yes, very good point

This is probably a sign of an unhealthy hatred but I’ve almost got the same sort of game day nerves as I would if it was us lining up tonight.
So much rides on tonight’s result, we never want Selwood, Ablett and Co. to match our legendary 4-timers

images.jpeg

Premierships won so far this century*
4 - Hawthorn
3 - Geelong, Brisbane Lions
2 - Sydney Swans, West Coast Eagles, Richmond
1 - Port Adelaide, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs

* Beginning 1 January 2001, cos that's when the 21st century began. Sorry * fans ( #sorrynotsorry ).

Very satisyfing the way it worked out I agree, but having been there that day at Princes Park I was inclined to agree with him. It was not pretty at all! We got utterly smashed that day. 80 odd points from memory.

Yeah, but I'd already had a gutful of Adelaide supporters and media telling me I should dump the Hawks because they were finished and get with the "strength", I didn't need it from smartarse West Coast people either.

Yeah, but I'd already had a gutful of Adelaide supporters and media telling me I should dump the Hawks because they were finished and get with the "strength", I didn't need it from smartarse West Coast people either.

They were pretty special in that era.
Marked themselves premiership favourites after round 1, '91
Declared all Premierships prior to 1991 as '*' because they were competed over without the Crows.

And we hadn't even gotten to the Tony Modra era yet.

They were pretty special in that era.
Marked themselves premiership favourites after round 1, '91
Declared all Premierships prior to 1991 as '*' because they were competed over without the Crows.

And we hadn't even gotten to the Tony Modra era yet.

I had people telling me Crows were the greatest team they'd seen and they'd go through the year undefeated. I tried explaining that the Crows were playing their Grand Final whereas Hawks were playing Round 1. Didn't make any difference to them, and it was so funny when they lost the following week :)

Speaking of Modra, remember the day there was a shootout between Dunstall and Modra? Dunstall had a great 1st quarter and kicked 6 goals. In the 2nd term Modra kicked a few and Dunstall was standing in the goalsquare in front of us. A guy behind me stood up and yelled at Dunstall, "Modra's got FIVE Dunstall, how many have YOU kicked?". I turned around and said "Dunstall's got 7". The guy started arguing with me until one of his mates said, "Hey shut up idiot, I think Dunstall HAS got 7". Everyone around us started laughing at him, he sat down, and we never heard from him again :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he first came on the screens in the late 80s, I didn't like him at all; really seemed to be a bias for WCE, and I'd grown up with Victorian commentators commentating for *all* Vic clubs. Yes, there was probably bias there, but nowhere near as strong as Commetti for WCE. Once the Weagles won their first flag, he seemed to become much more even-handed, and is streets ahead of anyone I hear commentating now.

👜 STR8 SETS

tenor.gif

I had people telling me Crows were the greatest team they'd seen and they'd go through the year undefeated. I tried explaining that the Crows were playing their Grand Final whereas Hawks were playing Round 1. Didn't make any difference to them, and it was so funny when they lost the following week :)

Speaking of Modra, remember the day there was a shootout between Dunstall and Modra? Dunstall had a great 1st quarter and kicked 6 goals. In the 2nd term Modra kicked a few and Dunstall was standing in the goalsquare in front of us. A guy behind me stood up and yelled at Dunstall, "Modra's got FIVE Dunstall, how many have YOU kicked?". I turned around and said "Dunstall's got 7". The guy started arguing with me until one of his mates said, "Hey shut up idiot, I think Dunstall HAS got 7". Everyone around us started laughing at him, he sat down, and we never heard from him again :)
The gold ol days. These days where lucky to kick 7 goals as a team 🤪

Was that the day where Hawks fans caught a special double decker bus then Peter Knights spoke to us at Footy Park - if I remember rightly we lost :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back