No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
terry and allan at the bulldogs revisited

I heard a howler of a story that one of the bulldogs board around time was a real estate agent and he wanted to remove the then coach. The then coach got wind of this and would turn up and sabotage auctions that said board member was conducting - was told to me by a former bulldogs player so I hope it is true.

Can see it now. Bombers make top 4.

and go out in straight sets.

I can see it now Dodo “we give you pick #97356 you give us Hill, pay his wage and picks #2 and #13….. “Hello Jason? Jason? You there?”

Hangs up phone. “Can someone tell Brian the phone is broken again? Dammit, I got to give my supporters what they want.”

Voice in background What? what’s a final’s win or premiership?” Random voice gets cuts off. “No they just want to see me fist bump”

I just read the article on Darren Millane on the ABC website. I had no idea of this, but we had Darren Millane signed in 1982 and then let him go. Imagine him on one wing and the Dipper on the other. How many flags could have been won if we had managed to persuade Millane and Ablett to stay?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10...gwood-afl-star-darren-millane-found/100517970
One could only wonder. Ablett really was f&^ked in the head, though. Needed to go away and find god in Myrtleford. Pity he did not want to return to Hawks. Probably took things personally when we told him to go.

I just read the article on Darren Millane on the ABC website. I had no idea of this, but we had Darren Millane signed in 1982 and then let him go. Imagine him on one wing and the Dipper on the other. How many flags could have been won if we had managed to persuade Millane and Ablett to stay?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10...gwood-afl-star-darren-millane-found/100517970

Never heard this before either. Used to love watching Darren Millane. A skilled bulldozer of a player.

Yep, in hindsight this would of/could of been great from a pure football perspective - but I doubt many at the club then or today refers to either of these players as 'missed opportunities'.
Both were relatively unknowns in terms of potential ability at the time, but both were also assessed as risky propositions given their known indecisive attitudes and commitment.
There were also others that 'nearly' played for the Hawks in that era, Wayne Johnston being one, but like the other two he didn't pass the 'Jeans test' which included playing some footy in the reserves...

Last edited:
Never heard this before either. Used to love watching Darren Millane. A skilled bulldozer of a player.
Maybe none. Everything would have been different. Jeans only got Dunstall to Hawthorn because he didn’t want Ablett. If we had Millane do we draft Pritchard? 5 flags from 83 to 91 is amazing.

Maybe none. Everything would have been different. Jeans only got Dunstall to Hawthorn because he didn’t want Ablett. If we had Millane do we draft Pritchard? 5 flags from 83 to 91 is amazing.
I only posted this because I had never heard that we had ever signed Millane. I can understand how Jeans, a policeman wouldn't have wanted Ablett to remain at the club.

" AFL.com.au can reveal the Tigers offered North Melbourne picks No.7, 15, 26 and Callum Coleman-Jones for North's No.1 pick during discussions over the Coleman-Jones trade. "

Hahaha cute offer by Richmond

" AFL.com.au can reveal the Tigers offered North Melbourne picks No.7, 15, 26 and Callum Coleman-Jones for North's No.1 pick during discussions over the Coleman-Jones trade. "

They are putting CCJ into any trade 😂, his the extra with the steak knives hahaha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, insane offer. Only deal that'd get Pick 1 across the line would be a current top 5 player, or a deal with multiple picks one of which would need to be in the top 3.

The AFL media really annoys me. There is no accountability at all.

The club says they will listen to offers for any player over 26. Provided the deal works for HFC and the player. A perfectly reasonable and logical position.

Kane Cornes then says "everyone over 26" is "on the table" which is a huge exaggeration but people believe it. Now Kane s still waffling on about how Hawthorn is "desperate" to offload players. It is not true but he gets away with it and morons believe it.

Now, other clubs may try to low-ball us, which means no deals will be done. If a reasonable deal is done. Kane will incite talkback from fans of the club we dealt with by creating a narrative that they overpaid because we were so desperate.

Now, there is a very good chance that by Wednesday night no club has made a decent offer so Hawthorn still has all their players. Then Kane will carry on like we are morons for putting players on the table then not accepting offers.

Truth is irrelevant to these clowns. All that matters is getting attention and finding something to get people calling in.

Fake news is alive and well.

The club says they will listen to offers for any player over 26. Provided the deal works for HFC and the player. A perfectly reasonable and logical position.

Kane Cornes then says "everyone over 26" is "on the table" which is a huge exaggeration but people believe it. Now Kane s still waffling on about how Hawthorn is "desperate" to offload players. It is not true but he gets away with it and morons believe it.

Now, other clubs may try to low-ball us, which means no deals will be done. If a reasonable deal is done. Kane will incite talkback from fans of the club we dealt with by creating a narrative that they overpaid because we were so desperate.

Now, there is a very good chance that by Wednesday night no club has made a decent offer so Hawthorn still has all their players. Then Kane will carry on like we are morons for putting players on the table then not accepting offers.

Truth is irrelevant to these clowns. All that matters is getting attention and finding something to get people calling in.

Not sure why you do it yourself. Switch off whenever he is on if you must listen to the stations he is on. As some said the other day, the anti vaxxer of media circles.

He has next to no credibility so do not think what he muses has any impact on what will eventuate. Changing your mind twice a day on a subject is a tough gig

The thing which pissed me off was Kane Cornes talking about how these discussions are going to fracture the group. They won't have any impact because it's all fabricated bullshit created by dickheads like him for clicks. The AFL media has been especially shit this trade period

Millaine was close to my favourite non Hawk at the time. Absolutely loved him showing up Greg Anderson in the '90 finals.

However we didn't suffer too badly 'only' have Pritch on the opposite wing to Dippa. :)

As for Ablett - meh.

Millane was a thug. Saw him knock out a bloke with his plaster cast from behind in Launceston one night when on the fizz with Mick McGuane only to be promptly whisked away by Police to his hotel........... not the station. Prison bars were the correct colour for him to wear.

Yep, in hindsight this would of/could of been great from a pure football perspective - but I doubt many at the club then or today refers to either of these players as 'missed opportunities'.
Both were relatively unknowns in terms of potential ability at the time, but both were also assessed as risky propositions given their known indecisive attitudes and commitment.
There were also others that 'nearly' played for the Hawks in that era, Wayne Johnston being one, but like the other two he didn't pass the 'Jeans test' which included playing some footy in the reserves...

Stewie Loewe was a Hawthorn zone player as well.

Sadly, none of this is new and accountability in 'all media' is rarely a consideration or a requirement as, despite often suggesting otherwise, they nearly always hide behind the content being presented as 'opinion'...

Cornes and most other representatives of the 'AFL media' all undertake the same modus operandi specifically during this time of the year - whereas they create opinion based talking points for the sake of having talking points to try and maintain an audience in the off-season. Rinse and repeat every off-season...

It's really not much different during the season proper, as the AFL media has generally involved into a circle jerk of mainly speculative opinion for the creation of content to support the ludicrous amount of pre and post game presentations and regular weekly footy shows.
I'm obviously in the minority as there must be market to sustain this..?

Millane was a thug. Saw him knock out a bloke with his plaster cast from behind in Launceston one night when on the fizz with Mick McGuane only to be promptly whisked away by Police to his hotel........... not the station. Prison bars were the correct colour for him to wear.
Indeed.

Anyone who frequented the Tunnel nightclub in the 80s know the type of person Millane was.

Other friends of mine had encounters with him. A dirty ****ing pig of a human.

I'll leave it at that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back