No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has a GWS feel to it
A lot will depend on what happens in the future, cap goes up they will be ok, as long as they can keep the players motivated.

Pies are one that struggled with the cap going down. GWS and Suns where paying massive overs to a lot of average players to get them to stay leading to their cap issues. Not sure dees will have that problem.

Yeah thats fine but these large contracts come back to bite you and they have several now like GWS

Ahh so you meant that element of GWS list management - apologies I thought you meant the completely underhanded AFL-sanctioned cap rorting element. Completely agree then.

Judd2Sewell yeah not many had Geelong winning the minor premiership this season, which is the way it's currently looking. Lots thought the manner of the prelim defeat last year was the beginning of the end.

Huge coup for the Dees locking in Brayshaw long term, managed to lock away several key players now the Dees.

Maybe just me but I like it when players knock back free agency and stay with their original teams

When it's not one of the two sides I dislike with a passion - absolutely. Loyalty in sport is still good to see.

is it loyalty to bleed your club dry for a 6,7,8 year deal?

Well, it's not disloyal. It's smart business from the player perspective. These blokes will never in their life have that kind of earning capacity again and they literally put their body on the line for it. Might sound dramatic - but look at the players who have developed CTE or have long term injuries that impact them the rest of their days. No qualms with the player making hay.

Probably helps their percentage a fair bit that they've had 2 games against North already. They've also had a fairly easy run, with no double ups against Top 4 sides and the benefit of playing all Brisbane, Melbourne and Freo at home - even if they did lose to freo.

If I give them credit for anything it's their ability to keep their list healthy, in particular Hawkins who they got to career best form after recovering from back surgery.

If you told me they'd be playing average battlers like - Rohan, Z. Guthrie, Neale, Atkins, Bews, O'Connor, Kolo, Stanley, Miers.

Plus that Dangerfield and Selwood were having their worst seasons in over a decade.

Plus Stewart would miss five games, Henry (who was great last season) would miss half the season and Menegola would have only played five games to date - I'd have believed they would be sitting about where we are on the ladder, regardless of their draw.

For those of you that have been pissing yourself with that main board thread about how good North’s young talent it, I finally found the thread of gold supplied by North supporters when they previously ran with an absurd player comparison

😂

Teffy aka Snake Baker aka several other alias's loved that

If you told me they'd be playing average battlers like - Rohan, Z. Guthrie, Neale, Atkins, Bews, O'Connor, Kolo, Stanley, Miers.

Plus that Dangerfield and Selwood were having their worst seasons in over a decade.

Plus Stewart would miss five games, Henry (who was great last season) would miss half the season and Menegola would have only played five games to date - I'd have believed they would be sitting about where we are on the ladder, regardless of their draw.
A pretty weak Pies outfit is also top 4. It’s a pretty weak year at the top end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A pretty weak Pies outfit is also top 4. It’s a pretty weak year at the top end.

Astounds me they're higher than Carlton. I think Carlton has played far better footy this year.

Our record against the top 7 is all you need to know about the quality of the teams.

1.W by 12
2.L by 10
3.W by 5
4. L by 4
5. L by 13
6. L by 41 (lead halfway through the final quarter)
7. L by 1

Last time there was 12 teams with 100+ percentage was in 2018, yet another year with awfully weak teams.

If any current AFL club is going to work for Clarko, it has to be GWS. Can't see him succeeding with another rebuild at North. He needs to do what Lethal did at Brisbane, go to a club with a lot of great players and reign them in to a game plan that'll get them winning.
Assumes Clarko will/can succeed at any future club...?

Related, in my observation the game has simply gone past most coaches over 50, which perhaps includes the great Clarkson. While obviously indebted for his previous conquests and success for our club - the new breed of coaches; McRae/Voss/Longmuir/Mitchell and even Rutten 'are the future' - conversely Hinkley/Lyon/Simpson/Cameron/Fagan and perhaps Longmire to name a few, are to be blunt finished..!

Clarko obviously has credits in the bank, but as his last 3 or 4 years with us demonstrate, with him adopting a bizarre defensive game style which rendered some games simply unwatchable, I'm not sure he's the coaching messiah some clubs hope he may/could be for them...?

However, as Head/Director of football or a similar senior club role, there's currently no one better - and despite the related speculation from the media boof-heads (who's sole objective is headlines) I 'm not convinced Clarko wants to continue coaching at all - and moreover if the Tassie bid gets up, that will likely also influence his future pursuits...

Last edited:
I think people need to get this idea of " It's a weak year " out of their heads, seems people on here are starting to do it every season. This is just the way of a fully developed even 18 team competition.

As for Free agents I'd like to see more walk, I enjoy player movement and excitement in the other sports I follow such as the NBA. Find all the speculation in the AFL around free agents a waste of time when 85% end up staying.

I remember liking Beveridge for a while, but boy oh boy has he become unbearable. Close second to Chris Scott.

FYuPsuIaQAAGFd_.jpeg

For those of you that have been pissing yourself with that main board thread about how good North’s young talent it, I finally found the thread of gold supplied by North supporters when they previously ran with an absurd player comparison

😂

Who the hell is Daniel Harris?

I remember liking Beveridge for a while, but boy oh boy has he become unbearable. Close second to Chris Scott.

View attachment 1459018
My post last year on the way coaches have pushed for expansion of interchange…I predicted a mix of interchange and subs would lead to an argument for an increase in the number of interchange. Thank you bevo for helping my prediction come true so quickly 😂

It was basically expanded through a series of circular arguments.
1. We need a sub in case of injury.
2. If players come off we should allow them to come back on later with no restriction. Imagine getting an injury after making your sub??
3. We need an interchange player and a sub because we will be too disadvantaged by injury if we lose our interchange player.
4. We should make the sub an interchange player with no restriction. Imagine if you got an injury after making your sub??
5. We need interchange players and a sub because we will be too disadvantaged by injury if we lose our interchange player.
6. etc.
7. etc.

There is literally no end until they establish some reasonable principals around interchange and substitutions and injuries etc. The only workable models for mine are all subs or all interchange. The hybrid model is stupid and just leads to an argument for turning it into an interchange player. And the sub player hates it. With capped interchange there is always going to be the possibility that out of interchanges and a player gets injured and you can't replace them. So with that in mind a pure substitution model makes the most practical sense. 4-8 subs from an equal or greater number of bench players.

😂

I remember laughing at this post years ago. Thankfully big footy never forgets 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back