No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The nice thing about the club spending money on a training base is the AFL can't tax them on whatever they spend.

Its a big decision though. I remember Andrew Newbold being quoted awhile back as saying clubs should aim to get most of their decisions right and all of the big decisions right, so the pressure is definitely on them to make the right choice.
We may be oozing money right now but that cash has come on the back of premiership success which will dry up eventually. I like the idea of the club doing what it can to put away for a rainy day but there's also the thinking that the way to drive home a competitive advantage over our rivals is to outspend them.

Interesting times coming, particularly with the Tasmanian sponsorship situation.

The nice thing about the club spending money on a training base is the AFL can't tax them on whatever they spend.

Its a big decision though. I remember Andrew Newbold being quoted awhile back as saying clubs should aim to get most of their decisions right and all of the big decisions right, so the pressure is definitely on them to make the right choice.
We may be oozing money right now but that cash has come on the back of premiership success which will dry up eventually. I like the idea of the club doing what it can to put away for a rainy day but there's also the thinking that the way to drive home a competitive advantage over our rivals is to outspend them.

Interesting times coming, particularly with the Tasmanian sponsorship situation.

Surely any investment like this will retain it's asset value so it's not as though the money is being risked or squandered. I don't know what Waverly costs us either but if we do pay for rental or lease of those facilities then we would be making savings here also.

I saw Clarko today buying some plywood at my work. I'm not one to bother people as they shop but I was so tempted to ask if he was using it for the Waverley upgrades.:drunk:

I saw Clarko today buying some plywood at my work. I'm not one to bother people as they shop but I was so tempted to ask if he was using it for the Waverley upgrades.:drunk:

New Paddles mate....He snapped the old one's rowing us out of Shizer Creek....These new one's are 4 crossing the Tasman!;)

A little experience yesterday reminded me how unimportant AFL is in Sydney. In my off season desperation for something sporting to watch on a Sunday morning (yes I usually watch those Sunday footy shows :oops: ) I flicked the TV on to Wide Word of Sports and they were giving the Kenny awards which were basically their sports awards for the year. I watched with interest because I had seen it last year and Hawthorn were nominated for the team award but didn't win it. Surely we will win it this year I thought, can't get much better than back to back, especially given all the hurdles we had to overcome. Sure enough we were nominated (even if they referred to us as 'The Hawthorn Hawks') but it was won by the Rabbitohs. Only one person even voted for us (some blonde shouty woman, I don't know her name) and the rest voted for either the Rabbitohs, or West Sydney Wanderers or whatever other teams that were nominated (so insignificant I've forgotten them). Why are we bothering with an expansion club in Sydney?

A little experience yesterday reminded me how unimportant AFL is in Sydney. In my off season desperation for something sporting to watch on a Sunday morning (yes I usually watch those Sunday footy shows :oops: ) I flicked the TV on to Wide Word of Sports and they were giving the Kenny awards which were basically their sports awards for the year. I watched with interest because I had seen it last year and Hawthorn were nominated for the team award but didn't win it. Surely we will win it this year I thought, can't get much better than back to back, especially given all the hurdles we had to overcome. Sure enough we were nominated (even if they referred to us as 'The Hawthorn Hawks') but it was won by the Rabbitohs. Only one person even voted for us (some blonde shouty woman, I don't know her name) and the rest voted for either the Rabbitohs, or West Sydney Wanderers or whatever other teams that were nominated (so insignificant I've forgotten them). Why are we bothering with an expansion club in Sydney?
To be fair, the Rabbitohs haven't won a premiership for 43 years. And on top of that, they have come from further back than the Hawks Merger attempt, having been kicked out of the competition and spending two years in the courts to be able to compete again.

Hawks are perennial winners. The Rabbits had an outstanding year. As did the Wanderers.

To be fair, the Rabbitohs haven't won a premiership for 43 years. And on top of that, they have come from further back than the Hawks Merger attempt, having been kicked out of the competition and spending two years in the courts to be able to compete again.

Hawks are perennial winners. The Rabbits had an outstanding year. As did the Wanderers.

Doh!!! I knew someone would say that, you've spoilt my whinge now ;) I wonder what we would have to do to win best team of the year then?

Doh!!! I knew someone would say that, you've spoilt my whinge now ;) I wonder what we would have to do to win best team of the year then?

The same as Clarko needs to do to win Best Coach Award

Move to Sydney?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David King's written off Collingwood in today's Sun. Guess that means they're our biggest threat now.

Hawthorn star Cyril Rioli dodges further treatment on his hamstrings, Hawks get clean bill of health

HAWTHORN will make a flawless start to its bid for a premiership three-peat with only one post-season surgery and Cyril Rioli dodging further treatment on his hamstrings.

The Hawks will return to training on December 1 having added free agent James Frawley and former GWS pick 2 Jon O’Rourke to an already star-studded side.

But while many premiers are bruised and banged up by an arduous campaign, the Hawks haven’t skipped a beat.

Footy boss Chris Fagan confirmed only Liam Shiels (surgery to straighten his nose) went under the surgeon’s knife after the second consecutive premiership.

With exciting runner Jed Anderson (shoulder) and utility Brendan Whitecross (ACL) ready for day one of the pre-season, the Hawks aren’t going anywhere.

They would become the greatest side of the AFL era if they could equal that 2001-2003 three-peat given they also win the 2008 premiership.

Hawthorn confirmed after the Grand Final they set a program for Rioli to give him one shot at a full-length game after battling to recover from hamstring tendon issues.

Fagan says the club will keep working on his hamstrings but says he won’t need further treatment in the summer.

“He pulled up as good as gold from the Grand Final so he will just start his normal program. He has his exercises that are specific to him over the break but we will see what his (condition) is like when he gets back.

“We have got a few little thing we are investigating that are not just for him but all players to reduce the risk of injury in that area (hamstrings).

“We didn’t have many surgeries at all. Mitch Hallihan had surgery on his ankle and now he’s at the Gold Coast. Liam Shiels had his nose straightened up and I reckon that’s it.”

Defender Brian Lake signed a one-year contract recently after revealing he spent three nights in hospital before the preliminary final to repair a burst blood vessel around his abdomen.

He has recovered completely, with the Hawks were surprised it remained under wraps until the post-season.

“He had to get some blood drained but he didn’t miss any games. He spent a bit of time in the hospital but nobody found out about it. We thought it would get out for sure and we were ready but it didn’t get out so we didn’t say anything.”

Hawthorn’s senior players will return on the same date as the kids, with a handful of Hawks stars playing International Rules next week under Alastair Clarkson.

The entire side will Mooloolaba for a training camp on December 12, with the new football department tax preventing the club heading on an overseas training camp.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...119751245?sv=81aab7aaae70f0b4e2d1c97085a52243

AFL draft regrets — which stars could have been at your club?

THERE is a popular genre of fiction known as alternative history.

The idea is to imagine how events might have panned out if things had transpired slightly differently at a key historical turning point — for example, if the Vikings had successfully colonised North America.

The results are of course pure speculation, but they shed some light on how we arrived where we are.

The same exercise can be applied to AFL recruiting, with interesting — and often painful — results.

How would Paul Roos’ line-up look now if Patrick Dangerfield, Nic Naitanui, Dustin Martin, Rory Sloane and Jack Darling were running around in Melbourne colours?

They could all have been Demons if recruiters had called out different names on draft night.

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE YOUR CLUB’S BIGGEST REGRETS IN OUR DRAFT INTERACTIVE

Joel Selwood in Hawthorn jumper.jpg upload_2014-11-12_8-56-51.png

Hawthorn star Cyril Rioli dodges further treatment on his hamstrings, Hawks get clean bill of health

HAWTHORN will make a flawless start to its bid for a premiership three-peat with only one post-season surgery and Cyril Rioli dodging further treatment on his hamstrings.

The Hawks will return to training on December 1 having added free agent James Frawley and former GWS pick 2 Jon O’Rourke to an already star-studded side.

But while many premiers are bruised and banged up by an arduous campaign, the Hawks haven’t skipped a beat.

Footy boss Chris Fagan confirmed only Liam Shiels (surgery to straighten his nose) went under the surgeon’s knife after the second consecutive premiership.

With exciting runner Jed Anderson (shoulder) and utility Brendan Whitecross (ACL) ready for day one of the pre-season, the Hawks aren’t going anywhere.

They would become the greatest side of the AFL era if they could equal that 2001-2003 three-peat given they also win the 2008 premiership.

Hawthorn confirmed after the Grand Final they set a program for Rioli to give him one shot at a full-length game after battling to recover from hamstring tendon issues.

Fagan says the club will keep working on his hamstrings but says he won’t need further treatment in the summer.

“He pulled up as good as gold from the Grand Final so he will just start his normal program. He has his exercises that are specific to him over the break but we will see what his (condition) is like when he gets back.

“We have got a few little thing we are investigating that are not just for him but all players to reduce the risk of injury in that area (hamstrings).

“We didn’t have many surgeries at all. Mitch Hallihan had surgery on his ankle and now he’s at the Gold Coast. Liam Shiels had his nose straightened up and I reckon that’s it.”

Defender Brian Lake signed a one-year contract recently after revealing he spent three nights in hospital before the preliminary final to repair a burst blood vessel around his abdomen.

He has recovered completely, with the Hawks were surprised it remained under wraps until the post-season.

“He had to get some blood drained but he didn’t miss any games. He spent a bit of time in the hospital but nobody found out about it. We thought it would get out for sure and we were ready but it didn’t get out so we didn’t say anything.”

Hawthorn’s senior players will return on the same date as the kids, with a handful of Hawks stars playing International Rules next week under Alastair Clarkson.

The entire side will Mooloolaba for a training camp on December 12, with the new football department tax preventing the club heading on an overseas training camp.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...119751245?sv=81aab7aaae70f0b4e2d1c97085a52243

Aw, poor Liam Shiels :) I wonder if it got broken when that Suns payer flattened him and damaged his AC joint?

But not back to training until 1st December!!! Seems so far away, not sure I can hang on that long in a Hawks vacuum :p

Aw, poor Liam Shiels :) I wonder if it got broken when that Suns payer flattened him and damaged his AC joint?

But not back to training until 1st December!!! Seems so far away, not sure I can hang on that long in a Hawks vacuum :p

Nah, I don't think it was then bumps. I can remember Liam going off in either the Cats or Power game bleeding pretty bad from his nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back