No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #12 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What a cheeky proposal by Beatson -
Asking the AFL to review matters around Academy players, whereby effectively if someone bids on them, the team with the player can then choose not to match and then get the very next pick in the draft.

Did he think this through?
Does the dumbass realise he is complaining about getting the second best kid in the draft for pick 18?

The entitlement ...

Does the dumbass realise he is complaining about getting the second best kid in the draft for pick 18?

The entitlement ...

I think its unfair on a club who bids on a player who is trumped on NGA and then does not get compensation points for their trouble.

eg Adelaide pick JUH at pick one (3000 pts), WB take him for points, Adelaide fall down one spot with lesser pick value say 2500 points.

To further add a equalization measure my suggestion would be that any club finishing in the bottom 4(?) would then get those points added to their next pick in the draft to compensate them that they didn't get access to the best talent at their selection.

So take this year Adelaide's pick 9 would move up to pick 5 with the addition to it for the 500pts of value they lost by taking the second best player at that pick..

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

End1r8cVcAAbYuB

#Norf

Dear Ben,

If you really want Norf to go from 2nd last to top 4 in 2-3 years after appointing a new coach, who takes over an aged and depleted list, then simply turn the real ladder upside down. That is the only way it is going to happen.

Please stop setting unrealistic expectations for your third coach in 3 years. You don't have the facilities or draft picks required to perform the miracle you are wanting. All you do is set your dwindling fan base up for more disappointment.

Thanks.
Concerned non-Norf fan

Tbh I prefer North's messaging at the start of their rebuild than our painstakingly measured PR during the Bolton era.

North don't have the luxury of hanging around the bottom long-term. If they reach for the finals and only get to 9th or 10th in 2022 is anyone going to see that as a failure? It's a performance industry, may as well set some big targets.

Certainly didn't backfire on Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fully convinced that Norf admin are tanking for relocation

Was thinking along similar lines the other week.

Not so much that they (NM) want it, but that the AFL may have already flagged it as a likely outcome and it'll now be stage-managed to make it look "necessary" or "inevitable" rather than NM drawing the short straw.

Ship them off to Tassie in 2022 or 2023.

Tbh I prefer North's messaging at the start of their rebuild than our painstakingly measured PR during the Bolton era.

North don't have the luxury of hanging around the bottom long-term. If they reach for the finals and only get to 9th or 10th in 2022 is anyone going to see that as a failure? It's a performance industry, may as well set some big targets.

Certainly didn't backfire on Richmond.

Different between messaging and unrealistic expectations

I can't think of one deditcated rebuild that a bottom side has reached finals in under 5 years in the modern era that ensured sustained success, rather than the yoyo effect

Last edited:
I think they know their fanbase and their environment.

Their fans - what few diehards there are among them - aren't going to stick around. The club is not a big club off field, and they have real trouble with funding. They - like Sydney - can't really afford to spend a long time at the bottom of the ladder, not without taking the risk of AFL intervention and relocation. They literally need to be content to string whatever minute success they can from their lists at any given time. They'd be content to sit at 7th each year every year, because that at the very least would ensure security for them while they try to get their off field into a better situation.

I think - this time - they know this is their last go around. Either this works and they get another shot, or Noble fails and they get relocated, probably to Tassie.

I can't think of one deditcated rebuild that a bottom side has reached finals in under 5 years in the modern era that ensured sustained success, rather than the yoyo effect
Not to mention (nobody better bloody mention it) setting the coach up to crash and burn.

West Coast 2010-2011?

Reloaded from a wooden spoon team to a top 4 team, made a Grand Final 4 years on and remained a competitive.

That wasn't a rebuild, they had massive injuries in the year they finished bottom 4

Bit of a narrow definition.

Needed to churn over their list after making a couple of grand finals in the mid 00’s and had a couple of lean years, but launched via the draft adding Naitanui, Shuey, Sheppard, Gaff, Darling and Lycett over the 2008-2010 period.

You don’t have to be a basket case to be a rebuilding club.

West Coast 2010-2011?

Reloaded from a wooden spoon team to a top 4 team, made a Grand Final 4 years on and remained a competitive.
They have tests available for that ‘special ingredient’ these days.

Bit of a narrow definition.

Needed to churn over their list after making a couple of grand finals in the mid 00’s and had a couple of lean years, but launched via the draft adding Naitanui, Shuey, Sheppard, Gaff, Darling and Lycett over the 2008-2010 period.

You don’t have to be a basket case to be a rebuilding club.

You best look at their list end of 2007, still some amazing talent

I will say though, always rated WC as a top 4 club when it comes to list management and talent ID over the last 3 decades

Nice coaching addition but, they are still where we were when Bolton started. A few old heads and a bunch of young prospects. Important draft for them and 5 + years of pain. No Carey in their future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back