No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I am quite new to posting. Been reading BF for some time.

I am personally over the cult of clarko. I accept some still haven’t got over him.

I do obsess about other clubs given I have a Geelong supporter in my house - makes for a lot of grief when we play them.

My obsessing is over the clubs we struggle against like Geelong, Melbourne and Sydney.
We didn't struggle against Geelong.....

Again, an assistant assembling their team for the first time and an established senior coach going back to a tapped out well are completely different things.

When Clarko started out at the Hawks it was all new and fresh, and he was dragging players out of recently successful clubs mostly within a few years of a Port flag. As I posted above, all of the names he's brought to North Melbourne have been out of successful clubs and winning systems for over half a decade, and in Gibson's case barely involved in football at all.
I think Clarko is being clever, short term. His way rienforced by some old hawk heads, North coming from a long way back. Set the tone early days then tweak the coaches list as you move along. Similar to tweaking the playing list, lot of work to do and the man is nobodies fool. Both coaches and players list will look very different in 2-3 years as he makes a move to having a crack at finals.

I can’t see the doom and gloom that some of the media have predicted about the next 2 seasons. I would expect us to win more than the 8 games we won this year. Sure there may be a few glitches along the way but I would think we should be aiming to play finals in 2024 at the earliest. The real window begins in 2025 which will be Mitch’s 4th season as coach.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can’t see the doom and gloom that some of the media have predicted about the next 2 seasons. I would expect us to win more than the 8 games we won this year. Sure there may be a few glitches along the way but I would think we should be aiming to play finals in 2024 at the earliest. The real window begins in 2025 which will be Mitch’s 4th season as coach.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fair whack of experience out and now the youngest list , so we are pretty easy target.
Media, oppo supporters I couldnt care what they think .

The MB is worth a look for a laugh though, my favourite is a Saints supporter who was banging on how bad our list was/is. Worst in the comp.
But despite that we underachieved last season .....BF logic at it best !

The wild card weekend is basically having two extra elim finals instead of a week off.

Who doesn't want that?
I'm not a fan, particularly as the week off was only introduced a few years ago. Just roll that back and remove the unnecessary bye week prior to the finals, no need to open it up and give teams with a negative W/L an undeserved shot at finals.

Not a fan of the wildcard weekend

Works well in NFL where there are 32 sides , 2 conferences and 8 divisions .

10 out of 18 getting a crack at finals is just too many making it imo
Absolutely

There are thoughts that adding more teams to the competition will dilute the quality of football at the elite level. So why would you want to dilute the quality of the finalists and reward mediocrity.

Wow I didht think so many would prefer no football than 2 more games. I love finals footy, I want more!

This whole 'not rewarding mediocrity' argument is pretty stupid. Since when is 8th miles ahead if 9th?! Carlton and St Kikda were just as good as Richmond and the dogs last year.

It gives the top 4 a greater advantage, 5 and 6 get an advantage over 7/8, two more teams get to experiment finals footy, we get less tanking and less dead rubbers. It also mitigates the lopsided draw a bit too.

I honestly think that people push back against it due to the American name. Call it an elimination weekend and watch the footy conservatives open their mind a bit ..

Any way, I don't care if I dont change any minds, I'm just waiting for my plane to take off. My advice would be to embrace it. It's coming anyway.

Great timing for us too as well me battling for those finals spots about when it comes in. You'll be cheering it on when we finish 9th and make a prelim!

More finals footy please!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a fan of the wildcard weekend

Works well in NFL where there are 32 sides , 2 conferences and 8 divisions .

10 out of 18 getting a crack at finals is just too many making it imo
Um... 8 out of 18 make it.

Absolutely

There are thoughts that adding more teams to the competition will dilute the quality of football at the elite level. So why would you want to dilute the quality of the finalists and reward mediocrity.
This 'diluting the quality' argument doesn't really work for me

Let's use last year....

We would have had Tigers v Saints and Dogs v Blues, huge elim games instead of a boring week off.

After that its just a normal finals series. If Carlton are good enough to beat the dogs, how is that 'diluting' the quality?

Um... 8 out of 18 make it.

8 out of 18 is fine because less than half the teams make the finals - you don't reward mediocrity. More often than not the 10th team on the ladder has a losing record - some years as bad as 9/13. There is no way known that a team that has only won 40% of its games in any year should be allowed to play finals. Having more than half of the league participate in the finals will weaken the competition. If you're not good enough you don't play finals - simple.

This 'diluting the quality' argument doesn't really work for me

Let's use last year....

We would have had Tigers v Saints and Dogs v Blues, huge elim games instead of a boring week off.

After that its just a normal finals series. If Carlton are good enough to beat the dogs, how is that 'diluting' the quality?
I mean, again, the week off didn't exist prior to a few years ago. Just return to how it was prior to that rule instead of giving 10th place an undeserved opportunity at fluking their way into a finals berth.

If they add wildcard its 10 of 18 .
10 of 19 when Tassie come in .

More than half making post season ....no thanks
No it doesn't. You literally said "10 out of 18 getting a crack at finals"

Then said "too many making it."

There are 18 out of 18 that get a crack at finals.
Only 8 of them make it.
This would not actually change.

Only 8 of them make it.

Nothing he said was incorrect. Your pedantry is well off on this one. He said that in his opinion that 10 from 18 sides making it was too many - again, IN HIS OPINION. If it moves to a wildcard scenario 10 out of 18 teams get a crack AFTER round 22/23. So what he said was correct unless you are deliberately reconstructing his sentence to fit in with your performative pedantic behaviour.

Last edited:

Only 8 of them make it.
GG your far more an intellect than I am , so I'm sure the phrase highlighted has been used twist what I actually was saying

Current finalists 8
Add wildcard 2 = 10 making post season or finals , whatever you want to call it
18 current sides before Tassie inclusion

Is that better , do I get an A for that one ?🙂

GG your far more an intellect than I am , so I'm sure the phrase highlighted has been used twist what I actually was saying

Current finalists 8
Add wildcard 2 = 10 making post season or finals , whatever you want to call it
18 current sides before Tassie inclusion

Is that better , do I get an A for that one ?🙂

Almost anyone reading what you wrote would have understood your meaning unless they have some weird hobby for adding substantially little to threads except banal pedantry.

Only 8 of them make it.
If it's a knockout game, involving teams 7-10, its basically an elimination final, regardless of what you call it. Absolutely the same as the elimination finals we currently have between teams 5-8 in the first week, sans the name.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back