No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s how you want to present it. All those individuals except Howe know winning

And how did the ex port players and staff go OK I’d say
There's a significant difference between a new senior coach building a team for the first time and an experienced senior coach surrounding himself with the same people he worked with in a previous role.

There's a significant difference between a new senior coach building a team for the first time and an experienced senior coach surrounding himself with the same people he worked with in a previous role.

Yep Clarko needs to remember what he did twice before. Clarko has a good history of backroom team building, which isn’t subject to equalisation as much as drafting trading.
It’s pretty mean of us to always highlight just the negatives. Hawks are still benefitting from Clarkos work

we should be looking at the best available talent on the field as well as off the field - if that involves raiding other clubs then so be it.

I would prefer to see what success Sam is looking to bring. Who cares what Clarko did - it is all past, just like the Allan Jeans years. We are looking forward not backwards.

To be fair (and surprise surprise I’ll defend him here), he’s got Blakey, Leigh adams, Jordan Russell, Gavin brown, Tom lynch and Ratten as the main assistant and development roles, only one bloke from the past. The only others are Monky and Gibson who’s never coached that role before, and he’s probably helping him out bringing him back into clubland. I don’t think it’s as bad as people are saying.

To be fair (and surprise surprise I’ll defend him here), he’s got Blakey, Leigh adams, Jordan Russell, Gavin brown, Tom lynch and Ratten as the main assistant and development roles, only one bloke from the past. The only others are Monky and Gibson who’s never coached that role before, and he’s probably helping him out bringing him back into clubland. I don’t think it’s as bad as people are saying.
He's been in charge for a few months and he's dragged across 3 coaches, doesn't matter what the roles are, and 2 players all from previous association here at the Hawks. That's one off season. He can't very well fire everyone and replace them with ex Hawks but I'd say this is a pretty significant start, no?

He's been in charge for a few months and he's dragged across 3 coaches, doesn't matter what the roles are, and 2 players all from previous association here at the Hawks. That's one off season. He can't very well fire everyone and replace them with ex Hawks but I'd say this is a pretty significant start, no?
Super high quality people, most of who were involved in one of the most successful periods in modern footy. I’d do the same if going to a club like north, dearth of experience and culture.

There would be a riot at North if Adams and Blakey were given marching orders!
I think he has taken as many as were willing to go.
For a long while I was cheesed off by the decision to kick him out in favour of Sam but after watching events unfurl at HFC in the last 12 months, I think things are working out. As much as I dislike JK, putting Sam in charge may prove to be one of JK’s better moves

Super high quality people, most of who were involved in one of the most successful periods in modern footy. I’d do the same if going to a club like north, dearth of experience and culture.
High quality people maybe, but on recent history hardly exceptional performers.

Our ruck outfit for the past couple of years under the guidance of Monky was part of consistently the worst midfield outfit in the league, Ratten coached St Kilda to 4 years of irrelevance and Josh Gibson has had more reality TV involvement than football involvement since retiring.

Shiels may have been an astute pick up in a coaching role but not necessarily in a playing one, and Howe wasn't able to break into a team that was crying out for a player his size and build.

It might be a hard pill to swallow, but there are equally high quality people with much better recent performances at other football clubs yet Clarko has been hiring almost exclusively from previous associations. That's why these decisions are being questioned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he came to the hawks, he brought gilham and Guerra, Russell etc and a lot of IP. He used the model and expanded on it, made it a winning formula

Depending how you want to describe it it could be either. I have no doubt north will be better for the journey.

When he came to the hawks, he brought gilham and Guerra, Russell etc and a lot of IP. He used the model and expanded on it, made it a winning formula

Depending how you want to describe it it could be either. I have no doubt north will be better for the journey.
Again, an assistant assembling their team for the first time and an established senior coach going back to a tapped out well are completely different things.

When Clarko started out at the Hawks it was all new and fresh, and he was dragging players out of recently successful clubs mostly within a few years of a Port flag. As I posted above, all of the names he's brought to North Melbourne have been out of successful clubs and winning systems for over half a decade, and in Gibson's case barely involved in football at all.

Again, an assistant assembling their team for the first time and an established senior coach going back to a tapped out well are completely different things.

When Clarko started out at the Hawks it was all new and fresh, and he was dragging players out of recently successful clubs mostly within a few years of a Port flag. As I posted above, all of the names he's brought to North Melbourne have been out of successful clubs and winning systems for over half a decade, and in Gibson's case barely involved in football at all.
Bringing in Howe would worry me most if I was North supporter. Says more about the style of play that Clarkson is after and I'm not sure that it is the way forward. But then again he has surprised us all before.

He may well surprise but he is North’s to worry about.

Rather not dwell on the other guys like shiels and Howe. We appreciate their service to the club and we move on.. they certainly have.

Let’s focus on our own team and what Mitchell does.

He may well surprise but he is North’s to worry about.

Rather not dwell on the other guys like shiels and Howe. We appreciate their service to the club and we move on.. they certainly have.

Let’s focus on our own team and what Mitchell does.
This is the other club discussion thread

This is the other club discussion thread

I find the obsession with Clarko troubling… until north are relevant again why do we bother.

Until such time, I would be obsessing on beating the likes of Richmond, Melbourne, Geelong and Sydney. These guys we have struggled to beat and regular wins over these clubs would be a sign.

It's an interesting appointment by Clarko considering Gibbo hasn't done any coaching that I'm aware of since retiring.

I find the obsession with Clarko troubling… until north are relevant again why do we bother.

Until such time, I would be obsessing on beating the likes of Richmond, Melbourne, Geelong and Sydney. These guys we have struggled to beat and regular wins over these clubs would be a sign.
If you're troubled by it then probs steer clear of this thread, mate. It's for discussing other clubs.

I'd find it bizarre if our recent long-term coach moved to another club, took a bunch of our former coaches & players, yet nobody said anything.

Not sure if your new here , but there is plenty of obsessing over other clubs here.
We have quite a few Geelong fans who seem to have BF Hawthorn supporter accounts

Not sure if your new here , but there is plenty of obsessing over other clubs here.
We have quite a few Geelong fans who seem to have BF Hawthorn supporter accounts

Yes I am quite new to posting. Been reading BF for some time.

I am personally over the cult of clarko. I accept some still haven’t got over him.

I do obsess about other clubs given I have a Geelong supporter in my house - makes for a lot of grief when we play them.

My obsessing is over the clubs we struggle against like Geelong, Melbourne and Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back