No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

I love that people expect a professional athlete who is in mid-air to be able to conduct split second risk mitigation thinking for both themselves and all other close-by parties in a game as multi-direction as Aussie rules. Honestly the decision making you seem to think athletes can process at they should be working for NASA, not playing footy.

NFL guys do it every time a punter goes for the extra point. They have no idea which way he's going after the kick, and they take the ball out without laying a glove on him despite going a million miles an hour at the ball.

Difference is Brayshaw is moving towards Maynard a little faster.

But if anything the stakes to block the ball are a lot higher and the act gets super maximum effort from pretty scary athletes.

Even when they wind up touching the kicker, it's almost always a glancing hit.

Every athletic 20 something male on the planet can do better than maynard did. Thats the point.

Yes and athletes can’t possibly bugger up something like jumping in the air on turf that would have been absolutely sodden. Mistakes happen.

Athletes are incredible specimens but they absolutely can make errors and accidents happen in footy games. Everyone can say ‘oh but he should have done X’ when analysing with the benefit of hindsight and slow motion. Just like Sicily shouldn’t have been suspended neither should Maynard. I hope Maynard isn’t and we can continue living in the reality where a high speed, 360°, 36 player on the field contact sport may come up with the odd collision that has no malice but someone comes up injured.

Yes and athletes can’t possibly bugger up something like jumping in the air on turf that would have been absolutely sodden. Mistakes happen.

Athletes are incredible specimens but they absolutely can make errors and accidents happen in footy games. Everyone can say ‘oh but he should have done X’ when analysing with the benefit of hindsight and slow motion. Just like Sicily shouldn’t have been suspended neither should Maynard. I hope Maynard isn’t and we can continue living in the reality where a high speed, 360°, 36 player on the field contact sport may come up with the odd collision that has no malice but someone comes up injured.

No doubt in a high stakes game on a wet ground perfect execution is going to be lacking, and probably often.

But my reaction to seeing this in realtime was, 'man, that guy just laid the biggest Superman Punch I've ever seen on a guy who just kicked the ball and wasn't even expecting it'.

No. Maynard had many options to mitigate the impact and chose to maximise the impact. He isnt turned by the impact.
I don't agree with you. And I don't think we will reach a point of agreement on this one. Which is ok.

You can’t compare him to a bloody gymnast. Gymnasts practice for hours a day on how to control their body in the air for years on end. He’s a footy player - if, on slippery turf, he’s misjudged a smother and lost control of himself of course his primary instinct is going to be to protect himself.
Yep , thats right , he's going to protect himself by landing his shoulder flush into Brayshaw's head. Very good.
"Gymnasts practice for hours a day on how to control their body in the air " - my point is, you can control your movement while in the air, its not a fait accompli that you have no control. He knew exactly what he was doing.
I don't know why people are defending this player . Sicily got three weeks, therefore Maynard's fate should be EASILY sealed.

Yep , thats right , he's going to protect himself by landing his shoulder flush into Brayshaw's head. Very good.
"Gymnasts practice for hours a day on how to control their body in the air " - my point is, you can control your movement while in the air, its not a fait accompli that you have no control. He knew exactly what he was doing.
I don't know why people are defending this player . Sicily got three weeks, therefore Maynard's fate should be EASILY sealed.
We aren't defending the player, we are defending the game. Maynard is a flog. But both him and Sicily, IMO, shouldn't be (have been in Siciily's case) penalised for their actions.

So you are contending in the split second between not effecting the spoil Maynard thought ‘I know, I’ll just take Brayshaw out of the game instead’ and proceeded to cannon ball into him. Okay, sure, that’s totally something that could have been done in the fragment of a second where he went from trying to spoil to trying to land.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you are contending in the split second between not effecting the spoil Maynard thought ‘I know, I’ll just take Brayshaw out of the game instead’ and proceeded to cannon ball into him. Okay, sure, that’s totally something that could have been done in the fragment of a second where he went from trying to spoil to trying to land.
Well , gee he knew to turn his shoulder in the right direction . You saying that these players dont know how to make split second decisions ? I said explicitly- he knew exactly what he was doing. But it doesn’t matter - theres a player concussed and thats that.

Well , gee he knew to turn his shoulder in the right direction . You saying that these players dont know how to make split decisions ?

No, I’m saying that when you’re in mid-air that it’s probably unlikely to make precise judgements in fractions of seconds. It’s a contact sport - accidents happen. The longer and longer we treat anyone getting hurt as only the blame of the person who hit them then the sport will become less and less enjoyable i.e. the Sicily suspension.

I’m all for protecting the head and pensliaisng harshly players who make malicious decisions to target the head of other players. But I fail to see how Maynard was meant to make a rational assessment of the situation, correct his body and land elsewhere in such a tiny sliver of time. He went for a spoil and it went awry - next.

We aren't defending the player, we are defending the game. Maynard is a flog. But both him and Sicily, IMO, shouldn't be (have been in Siciily's case) penalised for their actions.
The AFL cant have their cake and eat it too. Theres a class action against them atm relating to long term effects of concussion . The outcome of this incident will only be another layer to add on top of the case. Now if they are ****ing serious about this , Maynard will go , case closed.

No, I’m saying that when you’re in mid-air that it’s probably unlikely to make precise judgements in fractions of seconds. It’s a contact sport - accidents happen. The longer and longer we treat anyone getting hurt as only the blame of the person who hit them then the sport will become less and less enjoyable i.e. the Sicily suspension.

I’m all for protecting the head and pensliaisng harshly players who make malicious decisions to target the head of other players. But I fail to see how Maynard was meant to make a rational assessment of the situation, correct his body and land elsewhere in such a tiny sliver of time. He went for a spoil and it went awry - next.
accidents DO happen , that didnt help Sicily and it shouldn’t help Maynard .
He absolutely could’ve avoided the hit.

Well , gee he knew to turn his shoulder in the right direction . You saying that these players dont know how to make split second decisions ? I said explicitly- he knew exactly what he was doing. But it doesn’t matter - theres a player concussed and thats that.
I would say even before he jumped he knew contact with Brayshaw was incoming. Once he was in air it was matter of deciding how to establish this contact & he went with the most advantageous option for his team for the game.

The AFL cant have their cake and eat it too. Theres a class action against them atm relating to long term effects of concussion . The outcome of this incident will only be another layer to add on top of the case. Now if they are ******* serious about this , Maynard will go , case closed.
The AFL need to change their approach from outcome to action based for suspensions. But you must penalise the actions you don't want in the game regardless of the outcome.

If you sling tackle you should get a week regardless of outcome (how many of these did we see not get penalised this year), the players will change. Then when you get a Sicily situation you can categorically say that it wasn't a sling tackle, was a football accident and no penalty. This is a contact sport and there will be concussions but the AFL need to show how they removed actions. If they go to court showing how they penalised all concussions (which they don't, see Rampe) they'll get ripped to shreds by any decent lawyer.

So you're familiar with the action of turning side on and tightening up to bump when you could just tackle or make another decision then?
Yes I am very aware that is possible when you are choosing to bump. The word being bump. Maynard was choosing to smother.

With all this backwards and forwards on the Maynard / Brayshaw incident maybe Collingwood should look at bringing the Hawthorn biomechanist in it goes to the tribunal. It worked for Sicily… oh wait never let facts get in the way of what the professionals think.

Yes the whole thing was an accident (careless at best) but shiiiit here we are in the finals with a standard set with accidental incidents like the the Sicily / McCluggage one. The question is will the AFL move the goal posts to have this either have 0 weeks or just the 1. IMO he shouldn't be getting anything but heck I thought the same with the Sicily tackle too. Over to you AFL.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back