No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blanck did c to Daicos without flying through the air
Actually, blanck pulls up short of daicos and is knocked back from daicos. Cant really argue Maynard did anything at all to mitigate the impact, which he is required to do.

Immediately before impact blanck has both hands in front of him.

1694142100712.jpeg

If you were flying through the air and was going to land on your wife, would you:
a) use your arms to catch/soften the impact
b) twist your body so the impact is glancing
c) line up your shoulder at an oblique angle to impact and go through her

Aint nobody doing c to anyone vulnerable, whom they care about.

I'll repeat again, it was a smother. Comparing it to landing on your wife? Jesus.

Its the duty if care expected from players now. You have to mitigate the impact and there were options available that were ignored by maynard.

In the toughest contact sport in the world, where guys who get hit can wind up with a stopped heart... you're not allowed to even touch a punter after they've kicked. You can smother all you want, but just not touch the guy.

What Maynard did was like a MMA Superman punch on steroids. I'm not buying that he couldn't have done anything else.

Used the entire force of his weight to smash the guy into next week. First part was a football act. Second part was seeing an opening and deciding to inflict maximum damage.

What was the line when Locket broke Caven's jaw? He leapt off the ground to make the hit worse.

As much as I hate listening to Dermie waffle on, he had a good point on SEN last night. Just land on Brayshaw, try catch him and yourself. Don't simply turn and blast him into next week. If he turned the other way, he might have missed Brayshaw completely.
Akin to the incident with Kosi Pickett in rd 2, hasn't lainched into him but turned with his shoulder to hurt.
There was intent there.

In all honesty, are the Pies before the game, isolating Brayshaw out as a tough player?
Might be diffreent it it were Viney or Oliver.

Actually, blanck pulls up short of daicos and is knocked back from daicos. Cant really argue Maynard did anything at all to mitigate the impact, which he is required to do.

Immediately before impact blanck has both hands in front of him.

View attachment 1797062
Go and watch the footage. Blanck turns his shoulder into Daicos.

People saying Maynard should have changed direction or hugged Brayshaw is just ridiculous. It was a split second and he was airborne. You can't do anything in that situation.
It can be a split second decision and he makes the wrong one though. You can be put in that exact situation again and if Maynard made a different decision once he is in the air then Brayshaw wouldn't be KO'd.

A smother in footy is just like a block in basketball.

In both cases you are only allowed to touch the ball, you can't barrel into the player in the act of making the smother/block. Maynard should have just jumped straight up vertically, why did he jump towards Brayshaw?

Imagine say Josh Giddy jumping full into Steph Curry and knocking him into next week in the act of trying to block one of his threes. He'd be ejected straight away.

Replace Maynard with a Hawthorn player, let's say Sicily, what would be everyone's stance?
That's actually an easy one if it was Sic. 3 Weeks and then appeal dismissed.
I'm predicting in the Maynard case it will be 2 weeks from the MRO, Collingwood will appeal, win and have the decision overturned at the tribunal.
I wouldn't be surprised if Gilligan already has the word out to Collingwood, "boys he'll get a couple from Chrisso, take it to the tribunal and we'll get it chucked out there. Now, who's up for some polo and Pimms this weekend".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take out all the pre-amble, and yes it's going slowly, but Maynard has essentially tucked, bumped, and knocked a bloke out.

And it's all okay because "football action, I was just protecting myself." Which, we've seen isn't okay when someone gets knocked out.

Yes, I say there's shades of Matthew Lloyd on Thurgood in this.
C'mon...that's over the top. He didn't tuck up and bump. What he did was jump to smother and land.

At no stage did he bump him. He was in mid air making a great smother attempt and the net result was both players colliding when Brayshaw's momentum took him in to Maynard. Maynard went directly UP, arms up, to make the smother. At no point at all did he make any forward momentum or attempt to bump in Brayshaw's direction. Yes, he tucked up as he landed but he can hardly be expected to land starfish pose and and completely exposed to the oncoming traffic.

I love that people expect a professional athlete who is in mid-air to be able to conduct split second risk mitigation thinking for both themselves and all other close-by parties in a game as multi-direction as Aussie rules. Honestly the decision making you seem to think athletes can process at they should be working for NASA, not playing footy.

Doesn't matter which way you turn, once you're in the air you're not changing direction. At that speed, I can't see how you can reasonably "catch" someone either. You're just opening yourself up to get injured.
I contend the shoulder turn into the head was deliberate.
Yes, once you leave the ground , you cant change your direction or speed, but you can control your body . Gymnasts and all sorts of athletes do it all the time. He knew what he was doing and the question is did he disguise it well enough. Even then, it shouldnt matter, youve got a bloke concussed , end of story. **** him.

I contend the shoulder turn into the head was deliberate.
Yes, once you leave the ground , you cant change your direction or speed, but you can control your body . Gymnasts and all sorts of athletes do it all the time. He knew what he was doing and the question is did he disguise it well enough. Even then, it shouldnt matter, youve got a bloke concussed , end of story. * him.

You can’t compare him to a bloody gymnast. Gymnasts practice for hours a day on how to control their body in the air for years on end. He’s a footy player - if, on slippery turf, he’s misjudged a smother and lost control of himself of course his primary instinct is going to be to protect himself.

Maynard could have reached out with his hands and caught brayshaw to prevent the collusion hurting brayshaw. Turning the shoulder was an unnecessary act and disnt show duty of care towards brayshaw. The afl should suspend maynard for that if the duty if care is truly owed to players. But i imagine they wont suspend him because they are too gutless.

And in about ten years time when brayshaw is suing the afl for concussion related injury, he will only need to point to this example as how the afl didn’t enforce its own policy at the expense of the safety of the players. And the ceo who should be held accountable for it will be long gone.
yep, this. Duty of care is what the education is about. Add Maynard's track record and its 3 weeks. Sis would get 6!!!

People saying Maynard should have changed direction or hugged Brayshaw is just ridiculous. It was a split second and he was airborne. You can't do anything in that situation.

Nope.

Not intended to be offensive, but I think what you mean is that you couldn't do anything in the same situation. Elite athletes are a little more co-ordinated than most of us forum posters.

Have you ever noticed that you don't see guys getting belted in the head in incidents that were also 'unavoidable' in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s? A lot of these were 'reflex actions' that players had no control over.

They magically became avoidable when the AFL decided to protect players heads.

It's in the rules of AFL that you chose to make contact and hit the head, you get weeks.

I love that people expect a professional athlete who is in mid-air to be able to conduct split second risk mitigation thinking for both themselves and all other close-by parties in a game as multi-direction as Aussie rules. Honestly the decision making you seem to think athletes can process at they should be working for NASA, not playing footy.
Every athletic 20 something male on the planet can do better than maynard did. Thats the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back