No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, here is the extract from 2024 Laws of the game:

View attachment 2036761

I guess the argument in the Scum one is whether the player was under immediate physical pressure? Umpire decided he wasn’t in this instance.
Cheers thanks for posting this. I would also argue he has time and space to dispose of the football too, as he wasn't under immediate physical pressure.

Cheers thanks for posting this. I would also argue he has time and space to dispose of the football too, as he wasn't under immediate physical pressure.
Yes, I was going to edit and add that in. The ‘grey’ area in this one as Leather Poisoning said is that the Cats players stopped chasing and started appealing like cricketers, so I reckon the Essendon player may have felt he was under more pressure than it looked.

Having said that, I’m ok with free being paid after reading the rules.

Appealing should = no free kick, regardless of the type of incident. I hate it

Any form of appealing to the umpire, gesturing, or mimicking the umpire's signals should result in an immediate free kick against the infringing player. Should be no different to umpire abuse.

The Scott Brothers and all their old-Xaverians Football Club private school doucheknuckle mates running the AFL don't want that now, do they.

Anyone heard from Eddie McGuire?

Was quick to accuse Chol of “pretending to go for a mark” and breaking May’s ribs, but has been suspiciously quiet at Moore’s similar (multiple) actions

He’s a big mouthed fat ****.

Oh so the 9 metres is irrelevant because the free kick was based on the basis of parts B and C of the rule.

(cos it says A, B, C or D = free kick).

Also the intent/spirit of the rule is that the player tries to keep the ball in play, the Essendon guy ran over the line when nobody was even trying to tackle him.
They define pressure as someone within 3 metres of the player.

The thing that I just cannot handle with the cats umpiring is that the cats train for this stuff. And it infuriates me that they get rewarded for it. It also infuriates me that Chris Scott is the biggest sook in the AFL when he is on the receiving end.

I hate Geelong. But luckily I hate Essendon more.
What annoys m greatly is that when a confusing decision is made, the Cats players take off (somehow knowing) it is their free kick and advantage will be paid. No other club in the league (in these instances) is kissed on the d!ck so much as they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then you don't understand the rule.
Thank you for correcting me, and in such a succinct way too.

I have since read your subsequent posts on the matter I raised and are now much more enlightened.

I will try in the future to scrutinise the rule book and other source material before posting further opinions on subjects that may be under discussion in this forum.

This may eliminate the need for you correct me again going forward.

Cheers and be happy!

Last edited:
Not the point. I didn't say he was under pressure I said he was under conditions that were by definition "under pressure"
We're making different points - you're tracking down the path of literal rule making. e.g. someone was within 3m. They define that as pressure. Therefore he was under pressure, therefore the free kick was incorrect. That's your point.

I'm making fun of that point, by showing that the guy was under no actual pressure, and that for a rule to interpret the scene above as being 'under pressure' is ridiculous. So that's my point.

If you look a little higher in the 'spirit and intention of the rule' section it says that "players shall be encouraged to keep the football in play".

I don't think the Essendon fella was trying to keep the football in play

We're making different points - you're tracking down the path of literal rule making. e.g. someone was within 3m. They define that as pressure. Therefore he was under pressure, therefore the free kick was incorrect. That's your point.

I'm making fun of that point, by showing that the guy was under no actual pressure, and that for a rule to interpret the scene above as being 'under pressure' is ridiculous. So that's my point.

If you look a little higher in the 'spirit and intention of the rule' section it says that "players shall be encouraged to keep the football in play".

I don't think the Essendon fella was trying to keep the football in play
Players are allowed to rush it through though. They don’t have to keep it in.

The * player slowed up so when the Geelong player tackled him he’d be taken over the line. He just didn’t expect the Geelong player to play the ump not the ball, and he rushed it when the tackle wasn’t coming.

Players are allowed to rush it through though. They don’t have to keep it in.

The * player slowed up so when the Geelong player tackled him he’d be taken over the line. He just didn’t expect the Geelong player to play the ump not the ball, and he rushed it when the tackle wasn’t coming.
They don't 'have' to keep it in but the rule is written expressly to encourage players to keep the football in play.

I kinda like the rules that encourage this. And hawthorn is playing in a way where we tend to flick it around a bit near the goals and get it into Amon's or D'Ambrosio's hand as a preferred option to just rushing it at every chance. I think that's how the game should be played.

But honestly - how ridiculous is it that the Essendon player deliberately ran over the line expecting to be tackled, and wasn't tackled, and instead the Geelong player was hopping up and down in a crucifix pose?

Both players were acting in the exact opposite direction of how things should go. I can't believe the Geelong players are escaping media criticism here. Absolutely pathetic to not tackle or chase in preference of getting a free kick on a technicality. They should be absolutely embarrassed but instead received a goal as a reward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back