No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn’t we have kept him instead of Cooper Stephens ?
Cooper Stephens was contracted, and we knew enough about Long that he wasn't going to make it as an AFL footballer. If he stayed here he wouldn't have made it anywhere near our AFL team unless we had Day, Newcombe and Worpel all miss through injury at the same time.

Plus we acquired HH who is pretty much an all round better footballer.

I do think that talent is spread too thin in the AFL currently, relative to the best players I think there are more worse players on AFL lists these days. That said, Paul Roos has said it in the most batshit insane way here.

If he's saying that 80s footballers would beat modern footballers, he's lost the plot completely. If he's saying that 80s footballers would beat modern footballers with the benefit of modern training and strategy, it's a bit more understandable but still insane for a bloke who coached a senior AFL team less than a decade ago.

There was no one running around in the 80s with the athletic profile of a guy like Connor Nash, let alone someone truly freakish like Buddy Franklin. The talent pool of players is so much broader than it used to be, even the worse players in the AFL currently are bigger and quicker than those in the 80s.

Roos intent on destroying whatever legacy he had.

Last edited:

I do think that talent is spread too thin in the AFL currently, relative to the best players I think there are more worse players on AFL lists these days. That said, Paul Roos has said it in the most batshit insane way here.

If he's saying that 80s footballers would beat modern footballers, he's lost the plot completely. If he's saying that 80s footballers would beat modern footballers with the benefit of modern training and strategy, it's a bit more understandable but still insane for a bloke who coached a senior AFL team less than a decade ago.

There was no one running around in the 80s with the athletic profile of a guy like Connor Nash, let alone someone truly freakish like Buddy Franklin. The talent pool of players is so much broader than it used to be, even the worse players in the AFL currently are bigger and quicker than those in the 80s.

Yeah - if you put North Melbourne up against the 80s Carlton seniors side then North will still win because they would outrun every single player on the field who would be gassed midway through the second quarter.

As somebody in the comments points out - this is the same bloke who was involved in appointing David Noble.

They don't 'have' to keep it in but the rule is written expressly to encourage players to keep the football in play.

I kinda like the rules that encourage this. And hawthorn is playing in a way where we tend to flick it around a bit near the goals and get it into Amon's or D'Ambrosio's hand as a preferred option to just rushing it at every chance. I think that's how the game should be played.

But honestly - how ridiculous is it that the Essendon player deliberately ran over the line expecting to be tackled, and wasn't tackled, and instead the Geelong player was hopping up and down in a crucifix pose?

Both players were acting in the exact opposite direction of how things should go. I can't believe the Geelong players are escaping media criticism here. Absolutely pathetic to not tackle or chase in preference of getting a free kick on a technicality. They should be absolutely embarrassed but instead received a goal as a reward.
The thing that is really hard to stomach is that the penalty is huge - a free kick in the goal square. These things turn games.

The same goes for 50m penalties. A minor indiscretion from anywhere forward of midfield is almost an automatic goal.

The penalty is too big for something so small.

Yeah - if you put North Melbourne up against the 80s Carlton seniors side then North will still win because they would outrun every single player on the field who would be gassed midway through the second quarter.

As somebody in the comments points out - this is the same bloke who was involved in appointing David Noble.
I think he means talent wise

If Carlton’s seconds trained like players today they’d beat North

The thing that is really hard to stomach is that the penalty is huge - a free kick in the goal square. These things turn games.

The same goes for 50m penalties. A minor indiscretion from anywhere forward of midfield is almost an automatic goal.

Yea I agree it's a massive penalty.

dye.jpeg

I think you may have burried the lead here.

Roos was part of North’s footy program not too long ago. He’s now firing shots at them. Something must have gone down behind the scenes.

Second time he’s done it.

Roos was part of North’s footy program not too long ago. He’s now firing shots at them. Something must have gone down behind the scenes.

This is what he said last time around:

"Now Roos has taken a swipe at North’s current predicament where they are dead last on the ladder with zero wins from eight games this season.

“So North Melbourne are 0-8 after two years of David Noble and in the second year of Clarko (Alastair Clarkson),” he said on the AFL Daily podcast.

“I don’t really know what Clarko is doing. I love Clarko, we all know Clarko ... I watch their games and there is no brand about how they play.

“Is it too late? I don’t know. (Clarkson) is a four-time premiership coach, he’s done way better than me at coaching, but I look at their team and they had way more talent than Melbourne did when we first started.

“I really don’t know what Clarko is doing because I’m not there, but 0-8 is pathetic. That is pathetic for the North Melbourne Football Club.

“My second year at Melbourne, we won seven games with a far less talented team than what North Melbourne has.” "

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew about that part but the "80s better" sentiment is pretty common on BigFooty too so I was angling more towards that.

He was part of the Noble selection though so maybe that's something.

"Now Roos has taken a swipe at North’s current predicament where they are dead last on the ladder with zero wins from eight games this season.

“So North Melbourne are 0-8 after two years of David Noble and in the second year of Clarko (Alastair Clarkson),” he said on the AFL Daily podcast.

“I don’t really know what Clarko is doing. I love Clarko, we all know Clarko ... I watch their games and there is no brand about how they play.

“Is it too late? I don’t know. (Clarkson) is a four-time premiership coach, he’s done way better than me at coaching, but I look at their team and they had way more talent than Melbourne did when we first started.

“I really don’t know what Clarko is doing because I’m not there, but 0-8 is pathetic. That is pathetic for the North Melbourne Football Club.

“My second year at Melbourne, we won seven games with a far less talented team than what North Melbourne has.” "
Who would beat Melbourne's 2014 team if a more talented North team would get beaten by Carlton's 80s ressies?

You know, he's not actually wrong in this one. North do have a better list than Melbourne did when he took over. Roos won 7 with Melbourne and Petracca didn't play a game through injury.

Only Roos could make North's current predicament about him.

I’ve seen 25m penalties in some junior league games and that seems to work well.

Big congrats to the best goal umpire and second best Footy Show revue star David Rodan on 100 games as an ump! Always love seeing him when he's on a Hawks game.

Barrett's sliding doors this week is a pearler in the north section. well worth a look unless you're Paul Roos.

Barrett's sliding doors this week is a pearler in the north section. well worth a look unless you're Paul Roos.
No. No-one should ever be directed to that BS. Go sit in a corner and think about what you've done.

Wow I didn’t know that! Biggest error in a coaching appointment since Grant Thomas.

Big congrats to the best goal umpire and second best Footy Show revue star David Rodan on 100 games as an ump! Always love seeing him when he's on a Hawks game.

Surprised he’s only just got to 100. I would have guessed a lot more.

I read it as talent but with today’s standards and training.

Casual supporters would be forgiven for thinking he is supporting the team that's just scored the way that giant grin comes up when he signals a goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back