No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Olajuwon works as a comparison, as does Joel Embiid who similarly picked up Basketball at I think maybe 15 or 16?

I'm glad a (relative) outsider agrees that Aussie Rules is an extremely hard sport to officiate. Part time umpires, continuous play, a relative lack of structure compared to other sports and a massive ground to cover. The biggest issues, though, are interpretive rules which the AFL has a lot of - reasonable attempts to dispose, insufficient intent to keep the ball in and the like - and the regular change in rules and interpretations that happen between or even in season.

A nightmare sport. The true test is how difficult pretty much every company has found trying to make a video game out of it.

I still don’t see the full time umpire argument unless an umpire requests it.
What exactly would they do during weekdays? Having a balanced life would be better for mental well being youd think

I still don’t see the full time umpire argument unless an umpire requests it.
What exactly would they do during weekdays? Having a balanced life would be better for mental well being youd think
A number of umpires have requested it, multiple times. Some such as Razor are against it but it comes up regularly. Not all of them have to be, but having some that are would be ideal for the system.

As to what they do, what do you think is best for well-being? A 40 hour week doing a 9-5, with an additional 20 hours on top for umpiring commitments, or a 40 hour week purely dedicated to umpiring? What do AFL players and coaches do during the week? Get paid for the fitness work they do separately, review tape, go to allocated club training sessions for intra-club and scrimmage work, work together to develop consistency in decision making, build and run development and learning pathways for new umpires coming in to the system.

People against the idea of full-time umpiring have the same tired complaints about it. It's all about short careers, poor prospects after retirement and all that crap. Offer umpires a good wage, target 18/19 year old players who went undrafted and offer them the same opportunities for development that the players get. Paid university placements and the like.

A number of umpires have requested it, multiple times. Some such as Razor are against it but it comes up regularly. Not all of them have to be, but having some that are would be ideal for the system.

As to what they do, what do you think is best for well-being? A 40 hour week doing a 9-5, with an additional 20 hours on top for umpiring commitments, or a 40 hour week purely dedicated to umpiring? What do AFL players and coaches do during the week? Get paid for the fitness work they do separately, review tape, go to allocated club training sessions for intra-club and scrimmage work, work together to develop consistency in decision making, build and run development and learning pathways for new umpires coming in to the system.

People against the idea of full-time umpiring have the same tired complaints about it. It's all about short careers, poor prospects after retirement and all that crap. Offer umpires a good wage, target 18/19 year old players who went undrafted and offer them the same opportunities for development that the players get. Paid university placements and the like.

Does that include umpires that don’t want full time umpiring? The morons.

Does that include umpires that don’t want full time umpiring? The morons.
The perks? The umpires that don't want it to be full time enjoy the "flexibility" I.e. a system where they get $100k - $180k + for less commitment, and additional payments (I believe roughly $500 per call out) when clubs request their attendance at training. Also, I imagine, the limited accountability afforded by being part time. Gotta make full time as appealing for them personally as it would be for the state of the game.

I must be a true outlier. I've been watching US sports for over 60 years and my two favorite sports overall are Hockey (Canadian) and AFL (Australian). Of all the sports you have mentioned here, these are the two where genetics (while still very important overall) are, by comparison, the least determining factor for greatness. Even the most gifted athlete would find it difficult to play either if they've not started at a young age. Probably the best examples I could give (which will absolutely date me) were the contrast between Wayne Gretzky and Hakeem Olajuwan. Hakeem didn't pick up the game of basketball until he was in his late teens, yet went on to become an all-time great. If Gretzky hadn't skated until he was 18, no way he'd have made it out of beer league.

This is a really long-winded way of saying my US bias still has me thinking AFL may very well be the most difficult to umpire, particularly when of the sports mentioned here, they are the only part-time "professional" umpires/referees.
I don't think you're an outlier at all. This is an AFL forum in Australia so the majority of people agree with you.
There's a stack of US and Eur based sports forums who would argue against the case of Australian Rules being the most difficult to play or officiate.
Not disputing the complexity of AFL but if an American like Mason Cox who never saw a Sherrin until 23 and didn't debut until 25, there's an argument against. If an American can do it, then a relatively fit Australian could easily not pick up a football until early 20s and still make it in the AFL.
I'm off to watch the Leafs opener tonight and the Habs next week. I'll send notes :)

This should disqualify the club from psd.
1991 freo with McPharlin……they got banned from psd for another matter. hodge worked out for us though. Imagine that freo strong armed hawthorn into getting pick 1
1993 buddy. That worked out OK
Might be out by a decade or two with those years, bud 😂

Discussion on other clubs:

1. Melbourne
The footy media drawing as much as they possibly can out of this whole story. The story was "petracca is furious and demanding changes at the club and will leave" then "Petracca will exit his contract! Collingwood chasing" then "Petracca is staying" then some bullshit someone made up about brand Petracca. And what's the wash up? Petracca staying at the club, on the same contract with only one notable position at the club changing.
Then there's Oliver - he's off the rails! Geelong getting him! Melbourne shopping him around! He met with Geelong players! Massive contract Melbourne will pay most of it when he moves to Geelong.
What's the washup? Oliver staying, contract unchanged.

For all the articles and drama and histrionics (gotta love it when Garry Lyon looks down the barrel of the camera and refers to a player by their first name. We got the 'Christian' commentary and then a couple of weeks later the earnest 'Clayton' discussion.

Melbourne - shitty culture, minimal changes. 6000 articles.

2. Collingwood
Very keen to watch these guys. The cooked their first round of draft picks with Shulz and Ginnivan trades and are trying to get players in and move some fringe players on. The Graeme Wright announcement in the middle of it all is devastating for them. Now THAT is a story.

3. West Coast and Richmond
Will be very interesting to compare these two over the next few seasons. Both bottoming out (although one has Harley Reid). West Coast seem to be carefully moving players on (Barass and Darling) and bringing players in. Richmond are either pushing every single experienced player out the door or the players are jumping. Both clubs with rookie coaches. These two will be bottom feeders for 2-3 seasons I reckon. Ripe for exploitation in trades I reckon.

This is a speech from the guy who declared he had elite self-awareness after the prelim final loss?
What if I told you he finished the speech with “mission accomplished!”?

😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he would have read that speech approx 52 times in the mirror prior to the BnF. Recorded it and played it back listening to it on his pods whilst his wife drove on their way to the BnF.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Then got home and realized he was too quick by 33 seconds. 'Dammit, it was meant to be 30 exactly'.

Still not convinced on collingwood. They need to draft young talent NOW but instead they will be trading away picks to get houston. their list will be garbage in a few years time because they're getting even older after already being the oldest team in the comp

I don't think you're an outlier at all. This is an AFL forum in Australia so the majority of people agree with you.
There's a stack of US and Eur based sports forums who would argue against the case of Australian Rules being the most difficult to play or officiate.
Not disputing the complexity of AFL but if an American like Mason Cox who never saw a Sherrin until 23 and didn't debut until 25, there's an argument against. If an American can do it, then a relatively fit Australian could easily not pick up a football until early 20s and still make it in the AFL.
I'm off to watch the Leafs opener tonight and the Habs next week. I'll send notes :)
Well, at least they're original six, so I'll give a passing grade :p

Still not convinced on collingwood. They need to draft young talent NOW but instead they will be trading away picks to get houston. their list will be garbage in a few years time because they're getting even older after already being the oldest team in the comp

Tbh, im not sure.

They will always be the #1 destination club in the comp no matter where they sit on the ladder and also have Thomas McGuane as a F/S next year who is already touted as a #1 pick.

Clubs are also so soft now, you can trade out all your draft capital, then when it comes to trading with another club just say “sorry this is all we Have” like Geelong do

And in the off season?

Can’t help wondering if more time in their bubble reinforces the us v them culture

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back