No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not jumping on you here; I do totally get that it's a mind-shift from 'boys being boys' - and most of us realise that this is just young people being daft and a bit thoughtless, but I think this sentiment is what the sanctions are working towards changing.

It isn't just:

'don't behave in a way around people who you have decided (based on stereotypes of gender, age, sexuality) could be offended by your actions'

it should be:

'don't behave in a way that could cause offence'

If you're self-policing around certain sections of society, then it creates an exclusive environment. The unintentional lesson from this sort of scenario is that this behaviour is totally ok just as long as there aren't any women around. You don't want young men deciding that women spoil all their fun and are nags and they can't be themselves around them etc.

I do understand why it looks a bit over the top on the surface (with what information has been given so far) - but that's probably some of the reasoning.
Are you saying you need to act the same, talk the same, about the same topics, with your mates at the pub as you do with your boss in the boardroom? Or with your mother in law during Sunday lunch? Let's not be silly here.

The theme of their event was "Troubled couples".
Do people not realise that P-Diddy is a pedophile rapist?
Players miming Diddy with a sex doll are effectively joking about raping kids lol.
He has also had footage of him beating his partners and women leaked all over the place.
Not to the same extent, but clearly there was a theme with someone dressing up as J Giddy (cleared of his wrong doing I believe).
The people involved in these skits should absolutely cop a wack, there is absolutely no place for that kind of stuff in society, regardless of in private or not imo.

Professional comedians, many who earn multiples more than footy players, make jokes about accused/convicted sexual offenders all.the.time - up to this very day. Ghislaine Maxwell, Diddy, Epstein, Weinstein, Michael Jackson, Bill Cosby, Prince Phillip - the list goes on and on. Again - if we are punishing players because their jokes didn't happen to be as well crafted then that is absurd.

Professional comedians, many who earn multiples more than footy players, make jokes about accused/convicted sexual offenders all.the.time - up to this very day. Ghislaine Maxwell, Diddy, Epstein, Weinstein, Michael Jackson, Bill Cosby, Prince Phillip - the list goes on and on. Again - if we are punishing players because their jokes didn't happen to be as well crafted then that is absurd.
The argument that professional comedians make jokes about rape or sexual offenders so footy players aren’t really doing anything wrong by making light of sexual predators, just doesn’t stand up, because a lot of their industry is about shocking people and being on the cutting edge of what is considered taboo or too far in order to gain an audience.

What irks here is the absolute token lip service the AFL pays to actual violence against women. Not stupid and poor attempts at humour, but actual criminal violence.

Ben Cousins was welcomed with open arms to the 2024 Brownlow. He’s been jailed for terrorising his former partner. Carey has not faced life bans from all functions. Ablett Snr is still revered and he killed a teen girl by feeding her smack and telling her it was coke. The AFL refused to blanket ban Tarryn Thomas and has consistently done nothing when players were facing criminal charges, unlike the NRL

So cracking down on some shit attempted humour at a club function rings hollow. And fining Greene for simply being there is a joke. Was Joel Selwood fined when Bartel and his teammate dressed up as the St Kildea school girl?

These idiotic Giants players should be forced into education courses and do some community service in a women’s shelter. Punitive financial sanctions are just AFL revenue raising and token effort to appear that they give a shit when they turn a blind eye when actual violence, not shit attempts at humour, is involved

Tbh, im not sure.

They will always be the #1 destination club in the comp no matter where they sit on the ladder and also have Thomas McGuane as a F/S next year who is already touted as a #1 pick.

Clubs are also so soft now, you can trade out all your draft capital, then when it comes to trading with another club just say “sorry this is all we Have” like Geelong do
No he's not more along the 25-35 range. They need key position players. Nick Daicos can't do it all himself. 2-3 years they are going to be in a world of hurt so there trying to strike now whilst their veterans are still capable but the drop off could happen anytime.

What irks here is the absolute token lip service the AFL pays to actual violence against women. Not stupid and poor attempts at humour, but actual criminal violence.

Ben Cousins was welcomed with open arms to the 2024 Brownlow. He’s been jailed for terrorising his former partner. Carey has not faced life bans from all functions. Ablett Snr is still revered and he killed a teen girl by feeding her smack and telling her it was coke. The AFL refused to blanket ban Tarryn Thomas and has consistently done nothing when players were facing criminal charges, unlike the NRL

So cracking down on some shit attempted humour at a club function rings hollow. And fining Greene for simply being there is a joke. Was Joel Selwood fined when Bartel and his teammate dressed up as the St Kildea school girl?

These idiotic Giants players should be forced into education courses and do some community service in a women’s shelter. Punitive financial sanctions are just AFL revenue raising and token effort to appear that they give a shit when they turn a blind eye when actual violence, not shit attempts at humour, is involved
I agree with much of what you’ve written, but the AFL failing to act in previous years or eras shouldn’t be a reason for them to continue to do nothing today.

I agree with much of what you’ve written, but the AFL failing to act in previous years or eras shouldn’t be a reason for them to continue to do nothing today.
Agree with that, though it applies to AFL inaction toward actual violent offenders now. Cousins was welcomed to this year's Brownlow, those old offenders are still revered and as recently as this year, the AFL refused to ban Thomas until he made it impossible for even a club like Geelong to select him. Had he not kept reoffending, he'd have been welcomed back. They have made no changes to the existing policy (or non policy) toward players facing actual criminal charges for violence against women. Their focus seems to be solely on words.

I don't think the Giants players should go unnoticed on this. But it is low level immature stuff. They will benefit much more from them spending some time in a family violence shelter than paying some fines. And there's no way Greene should be fined for just being there. That's absurd.

The argument that professional comedians make jokes about rape or sexual offenders so footy players aren’t really doing anything wrong by making light of sexual predators, just doesn’t stand up, because a lot of their industry is about shocking people and being on the cutting edge of what is considered taboo or too far in order to gain an audience.

Sorry I just don't agree. They were doing stupid skits - if it's okay to blur these lines at a comedy show or a University law revue then footy players aren't stepping outside of the lines when doing it at a stupid skit night. Again - this wasn't for public consumption. If the bartender was offended then make the players apologise and give them an education as to why that person may have taken offence and move on. The public flogging these guys are getting when, as you rightly pointed out previously, players are getting away with much much worse is genuinely perverse.

Ablett Snr is still revered and he killed a teen girl by feeding her smack and telling her it was coke.

This one irks me. He should be scrubbed from the game as much as Barry Cable now is - but if he rocks up to a Geelong game the camera still pans to him 78 times during the broadcast.

I don't think the Giants players should go unnoticed on this. But it is low level immature stuff. They will benefit much more from them spending some time in a family violence shelter than paying some fines. And there's no way Greene should be fined for just being there. That's absurd.
I disagree in part with the bolded, as a captain of the club he should know better. He certainly should be held accountable, not sure on the size of the fine though.

Ben Cousins was welcomed back to to the media spotlight not just the AFL. Dancing with the Stars for eg. Blissfully ignoring his past and presenting him as " Reformed from drug addiction" yeah he also bashed and intimidated women but let's not talk about that. Drugs weren't an excuse for it either which seems to be the line they are taking. If he came out and publicly apologised and showed remorse for his actions of the past perhaps in an interview at the very least could go someway of removing the uncomfortableness of the situation IMO. The media have alot to answer for but never do. It's all about clicks and money.

For mine it’s possible to make these sort of jokes being by being careful of what the punchline actually is. Mainly making fun of the perpetrator or wordplay not the victim or the act happening as funny in and of itself.

Something I don’t think drunk AFL footballers would be able to pull off. Given the punishments the AFL are planning it sounds like it devolved into “haha sexual assault is funny” which it isn’t. Especially if they are simulating the assaults.

It’s exactly the same punishments I’d expect if they attempted other dark “humour” and ended up just being racist or sexist.

For mine it’s possible to make these sort of jokes being by being careful of what the punchline actually is. Mainly making fun of the perpetrator or wordplay not the victim or the act happening as funny in and of itself.

Something I don’t think drunk AFL footballers would be able to pull off. Given the punishments the AFL are planning it sounds like it devolved into “haha sexual assault is funny” which it isn’t. Especially if they are simulating the assaults.

It’s exactly the same punishments I’d expect if they attempted other dark “humour” and ended up just being racist or sexist.

It is hard to make a robust judgement without knowing the context of the jokes - but I did read one article where they said they were 'mocking Diddy' as opposed to mocking victims etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder what the reaction would be if the costume were a priest or nun and the jokes distasteful. The real issue the boys encountered was that they failed to realise today’s sacred lambs are different than yesterday’s, and in fact yesterday’s are most often now open season.

You obviously missed the histrionics over the Feast of Dionysus bit of the Opening Ceremony at the Olympics this year. So much handwringing I am surprised multiple people didn't set their arms on fire.

It is hard to make a robust judgement without knowing the context of the jokes - but I did read one article where they said they were 'mocking Diddy' as opposed to mocking victims etc.
And mocking Diddy would be fine. Sounds like they went a lot further than that though, given what the AFL is pushing for having seen the CCTV footage

I think there will be more to come out than just what’s been said publicly so far
This is where I'm conflicted. I'd rather this all came out in the press, warts and all, and then have the sanctions imposed. People can then make an informed opinion rather than what is going on now.

At the moment its all smoke and mirrors.

And mocking Diddy would be fine. Sounds like they went a lot further than that though, given what the AFL is pushing for having seen the CCTV footage

Six games for a skit - Luke Parker gets 5 games for cowardly elbowing a suburban footy player in the face and breaking his jaw. Totally cool and reasonable, AFL.

This is where I'm conflicted. I'd rather this all came out in the press, warts and all, and then have the sanctions imposed. People can then make an informed opinion rather than what is going on now.

At the moment its all smoke and mirrors.
The court of public opinion is fairly irrelevant. If the AFL knows and the club knows, then there may be items they are protecting from the public due to how offensive it might be.

Six games for a skit - Luke Parker gets 5 games for cowardly elbowing a suburban footy player in the face and breaking his jaw. Totally cool and reasonable, AFL.
Parker should have got longer.

Both players are still in the wrong though.

Jake The Package Stringer should've asked to come to the mighty Hawks.

Unimpressed Supreme Court GIF by INTO ACTION

Who remembers Ryan Schoenmakers?

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back