AFLW General AFLW Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you put Sophie Molan on the trade table? What are our picks looking like at this stage?
Would you get anything for Sophie Molan? Not being smart like some others, just don't see any Club paying up to make her a trade. I'd be surprised if she was on our list going forward though. She is a five to seven years ago AFLW player. So much more talent coming though.

Would you get anything for Sophie Molan? Not being smart like some others, just don't see any Club paying up to make her a trade. I'd be surprised if she was on our list going forward though. She is a five to seven years ago AFLW player. So much more talent coming though.
Agree. Just so slow with both body and mind and now out of the team. Waste of an early draft pick

Agree. Just so slow with both body and mind and now out of the team. Waste of an early draft pick

Yeah it was, but when you look at her U18's year, she was OK in a shallow pool. She did some good work behind the ball and that always gives you a shot at receiving it wide and her kick was neat enough for a junior. In the end that was her ceiling. You get some right you get some wrong. This was the latter.

Yeah it was, but when you look at her U18's year, she was OK in a shallow pool. She did some good work behind the ball and that always gives you a shot at receiving it wide and her kick was neat enough for a junior. In the end that was her ceiling. You get some right you get some wrong. This was the latter.
Answer is probably not (getting something in trade for Molan)
unless we trade her to Essendon, Hawthorn for one of their juniors with our top pick and Molan as steak knives

her draft year not many early picks have come on to any great extent
Newton who went No 1 is not setting the world on fire
unlike McKenzie and the top 2 in the subsequent draft years (Prespakis, Rowbottom, Ham, Fleming)

ATM with Wakefield retired i'd assume the players on chopping block are
Molan, Burchell and Jacques (D'Arcy? with Cordner coming back)

the injury replacements
Watson and Peck, one or both could be let go

BUT given the next upcoming draft is for over-agers (mature players), i don't think we'll delist that many
UNLESS there are a few like Sheerin and Cox running around in the state leagues

Answer is probably not (getting something in trade for Molan)
unless we trade her to Essendon, Hawthorn for one of their juniors with our top pick and Molan as steak knives

her draft year not many early picks have come on to any great extent
Newton who went No 1 is not setting the world on fire
unlike McKenzie and the top 2 in the subsequent draft years (Prespakis, Rowbottom, Ham, Fleming)

ATM with Wakefield retired i'd assume the players on chopping block are
Molan, Burchell and Jacques (D'Arcy? with Cordner coming back)

the injury replacements
Watson and Peck, one or both could be let go

BUT given the next upcoming draft is for over-agers (mature players), i don't think we'll delist that many
UNLESS there are a few like Sheerin and Cox running around in the state leagues
Steph William's position also would have to be under review. Looked well below AFLW standard in the games she played before she got injured.

Peck because she is KPF may keep her spot

Hoping for some more Trent Moseby magic in the upcoming draft

You would hope so, said at the start of the season if we could have somehow grabbed a Bonnie Toogood, we would have been a lock for a Grand Final with the list we had. The girls did well considering the experience void on our list. If we do it internally, Stella Reid is probably the future there, but I think she'll probably still be three or four more seasons off being dominant enough.

I really hope we pre-season Beth Lynch as a midfielder. She is really growing into the ball chasing role and given what we now have down back, think we can afford to push her up the ground. Her intensity will be invaluable in there. Leave MacKenzie to play a more outside mid / half forward where her damage will at its highest.
Lynch was a highlight in the final as was milzy and coxy, Ellie a rising star of the comp ,,Reid really struggled and I thought our defenders really labored , light on for spoils when req and I reckon I could count our marks last fortnight on one hand , woods should be persevered with as a key forward

Lynch was a highlight in the final as was milzy and coxy, Ellie a rising star of the comp ,,Reid really struggled and I thought our defenders really labored , light on for spoils when req and I reckon I could count our marks last fortnight on one hand , woods should be persevered with as a key forward

I think you could count the marks that McKenzie took against Brisbane alone on one hand to be fair, and had her own handful again against North.

But yeah, we are an under possessing side by foot, and not just because of a game plan, but our ball security by foot is still among the worst I would suggest. Marks inside 50 against Brisbane was 2 to 12, yet we won that 9 to 5 against North. Around the ground we really struggle, giving it back all too often, even from a set kick. Has to be at least a 50/50 from any set kick or start dragging players - has to be a consequence as well as the oppo pushing ball straight back.

Reid's a concern for me, does she have the intensity to really make it. I'm not sure.
I think defensively we looked very unorganised against the better teams in finals, both finals we were comfortably beaten in the air and on the outside and they are the 2 areas we need to improve on. I actually think we need to change our wings, both Lavey and Dempsey are good, but I don't really see them as proper wingers. I like Lavey around the ball like she was a bit more last season, and I think Dempsey is a good kick, but a bit small and weaker than her opposition on the wing, so I'd love to try Sheerin and Shevlin as the wings. They are both tall, strong and can run all day. They both have long driving kicks also that would enable them to kick over the oppositions defensive line, and either get the smalls into action or allow us to attempt to lock the ball inside our F50.

Cordner coming back will help the defensive organisation immensely, plus having a fit Miller for the whole season too. I like Jess Hosking on the HB line, we moved her around a bit this year but I think she plays her best footy back there and if we move Shevlin and Sheerin further forward, then we need her to step back to half back and I'd have Dempsey either there or more probably on a half forward flank, she is a good kick and if she is given space and time to deliver inside 50 it should be to our forwards advantage.

Agree on Molan, its trade or delist time. I don't see any qualities in her to keep her on the list.

I don’t think Lynch has ever played Mid, she only started kicking the footy in 2019.
Molan might be a victim of an ordinary draft there may have only been two Vic girls in the first Rnd.

We’ve got Charley Ryan coming in and I think she’s going to be good 🤞and we certainly need a 180+ (Tall) goal kicker.

Bit worried about our backline we seemed to do well when Shevlin was running off the FF and when she had to move for Miller to come back we didn’t really get the same distance on the get out kick.

We need to build our team to beat who’s left playing now

I don’t think Lynch has ever played Mid, she only started kicking the footy in 2019.
Molan might be a victim of an ordinary draft there may have only been two Vic girls in the first Rnd.

We’ve got Charley Ryan coming in and I think she’s going to be good 🤞and we certainly need a 180+ (Tall) goal kicker.

Bit worried about our backline we seemed to do well when Shevlin was running off the FF and when she had to move for Miller to come back we didn’t really get the same distance on the get out kick.

Yeah I thought we looked a bit immobile at the back when we played Miller, Graham and McLlelland. Maybe we were too tall towards the end of the year.

I'm hopeful on Ryan too, hopefully she can slide seemlessly into our midfield next year, potentially rotating into the forward line in her 1st year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not suggesting Lynch has, but she has great intensity around a stoppage - has been crisper and cleaner in there recently and would hope the coaches see that too and offer her some midfield schooling to see how she develops - just think she has midfield in her.

Ryan is tracking well from her ACL, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for the next season given she needed to build her tank even before the ACL. She is a very quietly determined sort of a person though.

Our backline had been pretty good all year and given the dislocation with Miller out (she had been a rock), Shevlin and Jhosking out in patches, I think it went OK. Don't forget we didn't need to play D'arcy which is a good step forward. And we got great games into McLelland. Really liked Graham's back half of the season - think she and Miller are going to develop a good synergy with more games together.

Lynch reminds me of Steve Morris, love the way they go about it but if we’re to challenge the best teams we need to have had players improve past her level

Granted she is 25 already, she has really only been at the Club this year and a little bit after three seasons at North. You might be correct with the Steve Morris analogy, but it might also become more of a Jayden Short analogy. Given the draft is going to be a huge question mark, schooling Beth Lynch in the ways of a midfielder, especially as a back up rotating mid, will do no harm to her half back role.

Would you put Sophie Molan on the trade table? What are our picks looking like at this stage?
Going off the ladder and finals results without factoring in possible concessions for lower ranked sides and/or trades Richmond would be pick 14 and pick 8 in the Vic Pool for the first round of the over-age draft likely to be held in early 2023.

There may be a few standout picks for teams like the Hawks, Saints and Blues but potentially teams will be drafting similarly talented players from pick 5/6 onwards through to the end of the draft.

For 2023 I would be expecting upside from trading, developing what is already on the list and potentially recruiting talented athletes across from other sports.

Lynch reminds me of Steve Morris, love the way they go about it but if we’re to challenge the best teams we need to have had players improve past her level
Ideally yes you do need to advance on these types however I think our tall stock labours too often , Kelly barely touches it , now with cw gone our marking forwards are light on especially if kb is held ,,, lynch is the absolute least of our worries

Wonder if we’ve got any interests in the Garlic stuff, they can play the game at speed those girls.

I'm sure Milzie loves her garlic - think we are onto it already...... 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW General AFLW Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back