Gerard Healey - Will Day #1 -2019

Remove this Banner Ad

On potential the argument is there for alot of these guys the top end is elite. Look at who you have 9 and 10 you would be happy with that level of player with a top 3 pick most years.

On potential the argument is there for alot of these guys the top end is elite. Look at who you have 9 and 10 you would be happy with that level of player with a top 3 pick most years.
Yes an amazing draft I had to edit my 9-10 I had Georgiades and Fredrick on the back burner.

I just don't think on body of work you can argue against Serong being number 1 and on potential it would have to be Jackson.

Yes an amazing draft I had to edit my 9-10 I had Georgiades and Fredrick on the back burner.

I just don't think on body of work you can argue against Serong being number 1 and on potential it would have to be Jackson.
Yeah this draft you should just look at the exposure and let the players work it out over the years. Tall skillful mid I can see why Gerard Healey likes him 😉

It was a strong draft, esp with the names mentioned. I wouldn't have Serong at one though and the most over-rated player in that list is Rowell, who looks to me to be a run of the mill grunt insider mid.

I would have Day and Pickett in the top five in that draft.

Healey just said that if they re drafted the 2019 class Will Day would be #1, what do you guys think?

I have him about 6th atm if I re drafted, although I do think he is a gun.

1- Serong 2- T Green 3- Jackson 4- Warner 5- Anderson 6- W Day 7- K Pickett 8- M Rowell 9- H Young 10- SDK

Matt Rowell is the 11th highest rated player in the AFL in 2024, so he is not going to be the 8th best player from the 2019 draft crop. In 2024 he is rated 2nd of that draft crop behind only Serong.

These are all per match 2024 averages bar coaches votes which are total...Rowell is:

AFL #8 hard ball gets, #2 from the 2019 draft crop behind Green.

AFL #23 for total coaches votes, #5 from the 2019 draft behind Serong, Warner, Anderson, Young.

AFL #8 contested possessions, #3 behind Serong, Green for this draft crop

AFL #6 for gathers from hitouts, #3 from this draft crop behind Serong, Green

AFL #10 for ground ball gets, #3 from this draft crop behind Serong, Green.

AFL #8 centre clearances, #2 this draft crop behind Serong

AFL #12 for Centre clearance % of players with 2 or more average per game(Rowell averages 2.8 per game) 3rd of this draft crop behind Serong, Young.

AFL #7 for clearances per game, 2nd of this draft crop behind Serong.

AFL #5 amongst midfielders(ruckmen dominate this) for score launches. #1 of this draft crop.

AFL #1 for tackles

AFL #1 for pressure acts

In these last 2 he is around 50% higher than the next best from the 2019 draft crop, he is clearly the most prolific defensive player in the AFL, which makes all his other strong statistics amazing.

He is hugely underrated due to so much of his value being in mostly unseen defensive acts, where he is in a class of his own. All the players you have listed are very good but Rowell is at least as valuable as any of them. Hardwick explained he is pretty banged up now and when Davies returns from suspension Rowell will be used forward a lot more to lighten his load a little.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a strong draft, esp with the names mentioned. I wouldn't have Serong at one though and the most over-rated player in that list is Rowell, who looks to me to be a run of the mill grunt insider mid.

I would have Day and Pickett in the top five in that draft.
Serong has been outstanding since day 1- 2020- Rising star 2021- 4th best and fairest 2022- 3rd best and fairest 2023- Best and Fairest, All Australian 2024- Most likely All Australian and best and fairest.
Add in a goal of the year for a bit of fun as well and 3 Glendenning Allen Medals.

Matt Rowell is the 11th highest rated player in the AFL in 2024, so he is not going to be the 8th best player from the 2019 draft crop. In 2024 he is rated 2nd of that draft crop behind only Serong.

These are all per match 2024 averages bar coaches votes which are total...Rowell is:

AFL #8 hard ball gets, #2 from the 2019 draft crop behind Green.

AFL #23 for total coaches votes, #5 from the 2019 draft behind Serong, Warner, Anderson, Young.

AFL #8 contested possessions, #3 behind Serong, Green for this draft crop

AFL #6 for gathers from hitouts, #3 from this draft crop behind Serong, Green

AFL #10 for ground ball gets, #3 from this draft crop behind Serong, Green.

AFL #8 centre clearances, #2 this draft crop behind Serong

AFL #12 for Centre clearance % of players with 2 or more average per game(Rowell averages 2.8 per game) 3rd of this draft crop behind Serong, Young.

AFL #7 for clearances per game, 2nd of this draft crop behind Serong.

AFL #5 amongst midfielders(ruckmen dominate this) for score launches. #1 of this draft crop.

AFL #1 for tackles

AFL #1 for pressure acts

In these last 2 he is around 50% higher than the next best from the 2019 draft crop, he is clearly the most prolific defensive player in the AFL, which makes all his other strong statistics amazing.

He is hugely underrated due to so much of his value being in mostly unseen defensive acts, where he is in a class of his own. All the players you have listed are very good but Rowell is at least as valuable as any of them. Hardwick explained he is pretty banged up now and when Davies returns from suspension Rowell will be used forward a lot more to lighten his load a little.
I would still rate his teammate higher than him Anderson definitley Serong and Green as midfielders as well. Jackson is a premiership player who made big contributions and is a unicorn of a player. K Pickett can not be measured in stats he is a freakish talent. Warner was Sydneys best player in there grand final and has more game winning talent than Rowell. I love Rowell but I just can't justify putting him ahead of the others.

I'll talk about this draft whenever it comes up haha. 2001 might actually never be beaten but I reckon this will have as good a shout for 2nd best draft as any other when all things are said and done.

And no, as it stands, no one is taking Will Day at 1 in a redraft. You can make an easy argument for him and Young to currently be the 6th and 7th best mids (yet alone player overall) from this draft yet there are several drafts I'd have them as the best mid. It's just that crazy a draft.

I'll talk about this draft whenever it comes up haha. 2001 might actually never be beaten but I reckon this will have as good a shout for 2nd best draft as any other when all things are said and done.

And no, as it stands, no one is taking Will Day at 1 in a redraft. You can make an easy argument for him and Young to currently be the 6th and 7th best mids (yet alone player overall) from this draft yet there are several drafts I'd have them as the best mid. It's just that crazy a draft.
Totally agree, I think Young has a chance of becoming a top 5 player in the competition at some point he is so talented but at the moment probably sits 7th in terms of midfielders in this draft. If Geelong had it's first #1 pick and took him I would be a happy man though.

I would still rate his teammate higher than him Anderson definitley Serong and Green as midfielders as well. Jackson is a premiership player who made big contributions and is a unicorn of a player. K Pickett can not be measured in stats he is a freakish talent. Warner was Sydneys best player in there grand final and has more game winning talent than Rowell. I love Rowell but I just can't justify putting him ahead of the others.

Players who break clear with the ball are imo generally overrated(very valuable just the same), where players who are very strong defensively are generally underrated.

Rowell's 8.1 tackles and 31.1 pressure acts per game you just don't notice most of the time when watching. But every time he does those things it is stopping the opponent doing the very thing you rate so highly in the players you mention, ie breaking clear with the ball. Rowell's tackles + hard ball gets add up to 11.3 per game and Yeo is equal with that but no other player is very close. Tom Green and Serong for eg have tackles + hard ball gets of 8.2 and 7.9 per game.

My point here is wherever you rate Rowell from just watching a game, you need to elevate him because he is doing a lot of valuable things you won't be noticing.

All the guys in the elite end of this draft are elite in one way or another.

The argument for Day is that he has all the tools that's why he captures the imagination and you get comments like this for the commentary in his games, but he is still a work in progress and only shows them in glimpses.

On production to date he's amongst the top 10. Potential he has a strong argument he could be no.1, like quite a few from this draft by the way.

All the guys in the elite end of this draft are elite in one way or another.

The argument for Day is that he has all the tools that's why he captures the imagination and you get comments like this for the commentary in his games, but he is still a work in progress and only shows them in glimpses.

On production to date he's amongst the top 10. Potential he has a strong argument he could be no.1, like quite a few from this draft by the way.

Will Day is a terrific player. He is a bit off the best of this draft crop yet but I like how he has really built his defensive game this year. Should end up a very well rounded midfielder who can also play other roles to a very high standard.

Last edited:
I remember watching Rowell's first few games and just being in awe. Nothings changed. Rowell's the best for mine then Serong. Blanket the rest.

His second, third and fourth games ever he all but swept BOG from all sources.

3 x Brownlow BOG
3 x Coaches votes BOG
2 x ratings BOG, 1 x 2nd BOG.

Unbelievably had an average of 8 tackles and 23 pressure acts in those 3 matches which were reduced to 80% of normal game time. To go with 2 goals per game and over 12 contested possessions, 22 disposals average overall, all in 80% of normal match duration. 3 of the biggest outlier performances I can recall for an 18yo kid.

His second, third and fourth games ever he all but swept BOG from all sources.

3 x Brownlow BOG
3 x Coaches votes BOG
2 x ratings BOG, 1 x 2nd BOG.

Unbelievably had an average of 8 tackles and 23 pressure acts in those 3 matches which were reduced to 80% of normal game time. To go with 2 goals per game and over 12 contested possessions, 22 disposals average overall, all in 80% of normal match duration. 3 of the biggest outlier performances I can recall for an 18yo kid.
That's pretty insane right!? I was praying we didn't have a O'meara situation, but he has came back and adjusted well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gerard Healey - Will Day #1 -2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back