Unofficial Preview GF v Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 2118991
Bailey has the ball in hand here and Charlie Cameron one out in the forward 50. It is VITAL that Fagan makes it CRYSTAL CLEAR to Bailey that the key to success is team play. The fact that Bailey messed this up nearly cost us our season. Bailey needs to get his head straight.
This is not the great call you think it is.

1. Easy to make it look like Zac has heaps of time here by taking a still screenshot. The reality is two opponents closed in on him pretty quickly.
2. If he kicks it to Charlie in that moment his one on one quickly becomes a 1 on 3, with those two Geelong players near the arc reaching the contest first.
3. From that position on the ground, if Zac is to dispose, his best option is to kick for touch somewhere between the right behind post and the 50m arc, and hope that (a) Charlie somehow miraculously wins his contest, which likely becomes 1 on 2 at best by that point or (b) the ball goes out of bounds AND we don't get done for deliberate.

That's a lot of hoping.

We embrace Cam for seizing his moment in the last quarter when perhaps he could have spotted up a leading option inside 50, allowing us to waste 30 seconds on a set shot, instead of taking a highly risky 52m shot on the run with his wrong foot. Imagine the way you and people like Kane Cornes would have carried on if he'd shanked the kick, failed to score and cost us the game.

Should we also not embrace Zac for trying to seize his moment here?

I think you've allowed yourself to become hostage to the outcome rather than the decision making process. Sitting behind those goals at the time I maintain the view that Zac made the right call in the moment.

As an aside to what was already an aside (!) the wording of 15.1.b is interesting. "A distance of at least 15 metres". There is no mention of direction or relativity (ie "a distance of at least 15 metres relative to the ground"). As such, it could be anticipated that a kick that travels 7.5m vertically up and 7.5m vertically down has indeed travelled 15m and thus a mark should be paid. Provided it is caught by another player.

Get the feeling the GF might play out similar to the prelim. Sydney like Geelong when they’re up and about will be closing down our space around clearances and shutting down ball movement through the corridor.

Need to read the game and minimise the damage (from unnecessary turnovers) and be willing to take the game on at the right time as well
You may be right as far as saying I don't think we will be able to play the way we played in the second half against Geelong in the first half on Saturday. We may need to wait until some fatigue comes into the game and things open up a bit. Until then, if we can control the game via a bit of kick-mark, that might hold us in good stead.

It may also help us conserve some energy, and sap some of Sydney's by forcing them to follow us from side to side, on what is expected to be a warm-ish kind of day. 22 in Melbourne will feel much warmer than 22 in Brisbane or Sydney.

To be fair, the way Sydney play they too may have similar thoughts. So simply winning more contested balls in the first half may be crucial to getting this ascendancy in overall control, allowing us to transition to the chaos game later on.

Funny thing I remember back to Fitzroy finals and particularly 2004 ( after we'd won 3 mind you) where I was a bit of a gibbering wreck barely able to watch. Knew more about Browny's prep. than I did my normal line of work.

I'd always wondered growing up what it must be like to barrack for Richmond or Carlton or one of the teams constantly contending and how fantastic an experience that would be .

It's dawned on me much later in life that following a successful footy team is a bit like a drug or the obsession some people have with money , all getting what you want does is fuel the desire for more of it and the prospect of losses even harder to take once you've had success.

I'm so glad I was brought up following a team that never won and saw it morph into one that never lost because the happiest and least stress free times were with the former.

So as far as this week goes I'm confident our team will be better for the experience last year and that they'll give their all and not give up if things aren't going their way. Hopefully that translates into a win for them , not me. But if not we move on to next year . If we're not quite good enough on the day so be it.

Just for all those who aren't sleeping that well.
Goodness me I wish I could have your perspective.

Quite frankly I just want to bloody well win and look great doing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think the difference will be the midfields. Generally, the Lions match up well with the Swans forwards and I think Swans defenders match well with Lions forwards. Generally…

However if our inconsistent forwards play good games I think we win and win comfortably. Need the likes of Rayner, Bailey and Cameron to be on their best games.

Worried about their mids… they are a freak combination with running power and goal scoring ability unmatched. I’m not so worried about Grundy dominance in centre bounce but I am worried about is stoppage work. Fort needs to break even there.

Anxious for Grasshopper17 to provide quarter by quarter percentage breakdowns for the Royboys in 1899.
Haha, I actually did note the quarter by quarter scores there and can only imagine there was quite a gale going one way that day, with all goals being scored at one end.

It's been substantially renovated since then and is a state-of-the art ground.

My only wish is that they'd widen the ground when it comes time to renovate the Moorabool St side of the ground (the claws stand). That would involve some overhang on Moorabool St.

buttermuffs Little Malop St is also a good spot for some relaxed night life and food. Good restaurants, bars, cellar doors etc.
If they're fair dinkum they need to do more than simply have an overhang. They'd actually need to move the road. One wing is considerably narrower than the other which is quite bizarre. If Geelong were a new club coming into the AFL they would have been told in no uncertain terms to sort that out before they were allowed to use it for home games.

This is not the great call you think it is.

1. Easy to make it look like Zac has heaps of time here by taking a still screenshot. The reality is two opponents closed in on him pretty quickly.
2. If he kicks it to Charlie in that moment his one on one quickly becomes a 1 on 3, with those two Geelong players near the arc reaching the contest first.
3. From that position on the ground, if Zac is to dispose, his best option is to kick for touch somewhere between the right behind post and the 50m arc, and hope that (a) Charlie somehow miraculously wins his contest, which likely becomes 1 on 2 at best by that point or (b) the ball goes out of bounds AND we don't get done for deliberate.

That's a lot of hoping.

We embrace Cam for seizing his moment in the last quarter when perhaps he could have spotted up a leading option inside 50, allowing us to waste 30 seconds on a set shot, instead of taking a highly risky 52m shot on the run with his wrong foot. Imagine the way you and people like Kane Cornes would have carried on if he'd shanked the kick, failed to score and cost us the game.

Should we also not embrace Zac for trying to seize his moment here?

I think you've allowed yourself to become hostage to the outcome rather than the decision making process. Sitting behind those goals at the time I maintain the view that Zac made the right call in the moment.
Food for thought. He had plenty of time to get the kick forward to a one on one. I asked the question earlier, was he also running to his ‘wrong side’?

You can bet it was looked at and discussed in the game review. The main thing is that there were learnings.

Gawn in his defence I believe was carrying a pretty significant injury in that game, and it ate away at him the longer it went.
Yes he was limited in the second half but don't let facts get in the way of a story.

Food for thought. He had plenty of time to get the kick forward to a one on one. I asked the question earlier, was he also running to his ‘wrong side’?

You can bet it was looked at and discussed in the game review. The main thing is that there were learnings.
You need to listen to the latest roardeal podcast 3kz, a whole lot of froggy love (rightly so) on there. 🙂

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview GF v Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back