Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barrett and Wallace somehow get through the entire interview without asking Wells why on earth Geelong isn't prepared to say unequivocally that they will match any prospective offer for Motlop given that we're deficient in players of his type, don't seem to have a replacement lined up, and will objectively be worse without him.

It's literally the most obvious question ffs. How has not a single journalist - not one - asked this of a Geelong representative?
I take it you weren't even listening.
He said if a player makes the choice to leave there is no way the Geelong footy club will put them through that. I.e. Matching.

I've got to ask what the point of the Wells interview was, was it just posturing to rival clubs that we're willing to go to the draft if they're going to demand too much, was it just an update for supporters. Because if it was the latter it raises more questions than it answers. Like do the club still consider us in a premiership window if we were to lose Motlop and Lang, possibly Menz without recruiting any existing players.

Either not a Geelong supporter in which case you're here under false pretences or, in the slim alternative reality where you are a Geelong supporter, you are trolling fellow supporters. Begone.
I think she's disillusioned in the way the club is ran but you never ever ever want your club to fail to get your own way

Jfc

Sure.

But it's pretty clear Watts isn't going back to Melbourne. That was clear the way Nathan Jones said goodbye to him at their B&F and Watts' comments yesterday.

And as I said we hold a better hand than Port Adelaide, the only other club Watts is linked to (Paul Connors confirmed yesterday that the decision was down to us and Port).

Port can offer #29 and certainly won't be offering up one of their top 12-15 players particularly after losing a few this year (Trengove, Ah Chee, Young).

If Watts' preference is Geelong but we can't get the deal done because of Melbourne's demands, what does that say about Port's ability to get him?

At the moment it says nothing. Watts needs to nominate a club for the pressure to be on Melbourne. Port aren't going to offer much more than us, so we are safe in the comfort of knowing if he does offer we'll be close with our deal, or, Melbourne can live with the mess they have created...

My tip. We'll get Band 3 now from the AFL for Mots given our list manager has said he'll be happy with "either" of 19 or 35:huh: I mean talk about PR fail, would've been better to say nothing!

20 for Ablett.

35 for Christensen.

That'll be our business IMO.

That's not the context he said it in, you obviously didn't listen to the interview.

Christensen isnt coming back and if you think he is worth 35 i want some of the drugs you are on.

I neither want him back, nor do I care about his trade value. I was just giving my tip, not my hope.

My tip. We'll get Band 3 now from the AFL for Mots given our list manager has said he'll be happy with "either" of 19 or 35:huh: I mean talk about PR fail, would've been better to say nothing!

20 for Ablett.

35 for Christensen.

That'll be our business IMO.
This is my only frustration with Wells. There is occasions where I'd actually like to see him stick of for our clubs rights. Couldn't believe he described pick 35 as a really good pick for Motlop.

He'd be Greens voter for sure

Some direct quotes from Wells:

“It is good that Jack has some interest in Geelong and we are certainly interested in Jack.”

“We haven’t commited to trying to do a trade for him.”

“At the moment we’re unlikely to be able to do it but that doesn’t mean we won’t see something change over the next week or so.”

“The main reason is because we don’t like to commit to a player to come to Geelong unless we think we can get the deal done. We’ve had good conversations with Melboune and Todd Viney has made it clear what they would expect from us and at this stage we don’t think we will be able to that deal so we don’t want to give Jack any false hope or waste anybody’s time.”

"If we did get pick 19 or pick 35 in the draft [re: Motlop compensation] it does give us all sorts of different things that we can consider from then on."

Conclusion - we want Motlop to hurry up and make a decision so we can get compensation and potentially work on trades.

Question to everyone preferring to go to the draft (with not even great picks) over bringing in players like Stringer , Watts, Ablett etc... why? Our premiership window in now, not in 5 years when those draft picks will be relevant, if they even turn out good at all.

our premiership window was 5 years ago and id rather the next one be in 5-7 years and not 10+

I didn't get to hear Wells being interviewed due to work, but based on the summary posts on here it seems he basically said we won't be overpaying for Watts or Ablett i.e. the deals may not get done because Melbourne and Gold Coast are asking for more than Geelong are willing to give.

Is that correct? If so, what's with all the melting - isn't that a good thing?
Yeah I don't get the melting either.
Because he effectively said "we're being responsible"
Would have thought that's exactly what Geelong fans expect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. They meet Jack Watts twice in five days.
2. Jack spends two hours at the club yesterday.
3. Jack is spending the day making up his mind between Geelong and Port Adelaide.
4. Stephen Wells says on radio today that a deal is unlikely to be able to get done.

Why do 1 and 2 if 4 is true and why do 4 while 3 is happening?

It only makes sense if Jack has chosen Geelong and they are sending a message to Melbourne.
Or if Jack has chosen Port and Geelong know it.

If Jack is making up his mind and Wells is not wanting to "waste his time" because Melbourne's first demand is Pick 20 then that is stupidity.

It's hilarious.

Before the interview - "We are going to overpay for people and get screwed over by all and sundry"

After the interview - "OMFG this club is useless, they don't want to get any deals done"

I think it was Nakia who said this board is bipolar. Unfortunately people like to whinge about everything

3. Jack is spending the day making up his mind between Geelong and Port Adelaide.
4. Stephen Wells says on radio today that a deal is unlikely to be able to get done.

It only makes sense if Jack has chosen Geelong and they are sending a message to Melbourne.

If Jack is making up his mind and Wells is not wanting to "waste his time" because Melbourne's first demand is Pick 20 then that is stupidity.
I guess if there is no news from Watts soon we will know the answer.

Pretty clear that if Watts hasn't nominated Port Adelaide soon, he prefers Geelong and we are haggling over his trade value with Melbourne and/or waiting on Motlop compensation to be finalised.

So we get to the last day of trade week and Melbourne says "OK, we'll take pick 35 for Watts". How do we do that if we haven't already met with him, agreed on an in-principle deal, etc.

That's not the context he said it in, you obviously didn't listen to the interview.

Oh, I listened to the whole interview alright. I've been listening to this trade radio shit all day since it first started last Monday, so I definitely listen intently to "Geelong content". IMO, Wells should've stayed away from discussing hypothetical compo, Period! Much less raise the idea we may get Band 3. Band 3 is now about as predictable as a Geelong MRP verdict on a Monday arvo.

So we get to the last day of trade week and Melbourne says "OK, we'll take pick 35 for Watts". How do we do that if we haven't already met with him, agreed on an in-principle deal, etc.
As long as Jack is in on that. Not hearing "deal will be tricky" while making a decision.

Couple of things I took note of from the Wells interview.

Motlop is very much in play to go to GC and not Adelaide, a lot of times Wells spoke about GC and Motlop in the same sentence.

We are still the easy roll over club "we won't match a bid just to force a trade"
I'm sick to death of being the nice club, I don't want to be an essendon but sometimes it would be nice to see the club fight to make other teams trade.

Wells expects a first or second round compensation for Motlop if he chooses to leave "sounded 100% he is gone"

The fact the club wants to hold onto pick 20 makes me happy, we need to try and get some early draft action if it's such a shocking talent pool.

Think one of our picks sounds like it will get the job done for Ablett, when asked about a third party joining in to help get a player he said it was doubtful that would happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back